Reconciled transactions showing up as unconfirmed

stevewi

05 Aug, 2010 06:45 PM

When I download transactions from my bank, if i get a downloaded transaction that is the same as a reconciled transaction, the reconciled transaction shows up in the unconfirmed list. Now, I have many transactions that are the same every month -- auto debit for health insurance premium, Portland TriMet (our local mass transit system), etc. How do I stop this automatic matching from happening because this is REALLY ANNOYING and often causes me extra work.

Thanks in advance...

Steve Witten

1. 1 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 07 Aug, 2010 05:35 AM

Steve,

This is unusual behavior. If you are not using the most recent version (2010r3 build 751), please update to that version. You can download the update here. This update has resolved a few key issues our users have been experiencing. Please let me know if your issue persists and we will look into other solutions, and please include your OS and the version of java you are running.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by stevewi on 07 Aug, 2010 11:39 AM

On Aug 6, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Angie Rauscher wrote:

> This is unusual behavior. If you are not using the most recent version (2010r3 build 751), please update to that version. You can download the update [here](http://moneydance.com/other). This update has resolved a few key issues our users have been experiencing. Please let me know if your issue persists and we will look into other solutions, and please include your OS and the version of java you are running.

That's the version I'm using. I'm running Moneydance on Mac OSX 10.6.4 and the Java version is:

~ $ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_20"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02-279-10M3065)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01-279, mixed mode)

This is the Java that comes with Mac OSX Snow Leopard. It didn't happen this morning but I'll take a screenshot the next time that it does.
    --
    ==========================================
    Steve Witten

3. 3 Posted by stevewi on 10 Aug, 2010 03:54 PM

It happened again... I have a screenshot of the results. I don't want to post it here because it could contain private information -- at the very least it contains information about my accounts.

Please reply with information about how I can send this information to you privately. This is incredibly annoying and I would like to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance...

========================================== Steve Witten

4. 4 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 12 Aug, 2010 05:50 PM

Steve,

You can send the screenshot to my personal email address at Angie (at) Moneydance (dot) com. Thank you for bearing with us as we work to diagnose the issue.

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

5. 5 Posted by stevewi on 16 Aug, 2010 04:13 PM

This happened again over the weekend with the same symptoms. Two reconciled transactions to 'Trimet' (the local mass transit system) matched two recent, unconfirmed transactions and Moneydance showed the reconciled transactions as unconfirmed. 'Reverting' the transactions and changing the category of the reverted transactions manually kept everything straight.

I'm not sending a screen shot because the symptoms were exactly as I had previously described.

Hope this helps,

Steve Witten

6. 6 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 19 Aug, 2010 03:56 PM

Steve,

Do you know if the cleared transaction shown in the "Unconfirmed" view was previously matched with a downloaded transaction? It may be that Moneydance is trying to match a transaction which never had a downloaded transaction matched with it. Although this behavior (trying to match a downloaded transaction with a manually entered transaction with was never matched) is technically correct, it also seems that it would be problematic for many users (myself included).

I have created a ticket for this issue. The ticket is attached to this discussion. By posting in this discussion your interest in the ticket has been registered. This is equivalent to voting for it. I will also point our developer at this issue, as I think it is an important one for us to clarify.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

7. 7 Posted by stevewi on 19 Aug, 2010 04:28 PM

You write:

> Do you know if the cleared transaction shown in the "Unconfirmed" view was previously matched with a downloaded transaction? It may be that Moneydance is trying to match a transaction which never had a downloaded transaction matched with it.

In the cases I've told you about (e.g., the screen shot I sent and the 'Trimet' transactions I wrote about later), the cleared transaction was always downloaded. I don't 'do' manual entry ... at least not very much anyway -- maybe a dozen transactions in a month (and those almost NEVER involve my checking account -- 99.9% of them involve investment accounts for which I have no download access).

You also write:

> Although this behavior (trying to match a downloaded transaction with a manually entered transaction which was never matched) is technically correct, it also seems that it would be problematic for many users (myself included).

Well, I'm glad you acknowledge it's problematic :-) "Technically correct"...maybe...I don't know how MD works. "Common-sense correct"...absolutely not! Thanks for opening the bug report!

A cleared transaction (manually-entered or downloaded) should be REMOVED from whatever search space MD is forming to match downloaded transactions.

--
    Steve Witten

8. 8 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Aug, 2010 04:44 PM

Hi Steve

Can you select the transaction that have been merged and click the revert button. Then send me a screenshot of the original transaction prior to the merge. That way I can compare the two and determine why they merged.

One thing you can do in the mean time is select File->Preferences->Network and change the "Only match downloaded transactions that are [N] days apart" option. Reduce N and this will tighten up the date requirement of the match.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer

9. 9 Posted by stevewi on 19 Aug, 2010 04:59 PM

You need to send me a private email address because I don't want to post the screenshots in public.

Just to be clear, do you want any old merged transaction or a case of the bug I reported (I just downloaded stuff from my bank and I have several examples)?

10. 10 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Aug, 2010 06:29 PM

Hi

You can send the screenshots to [email blocked]

What I would like to see is an example of a transaction that has merged in both the merged state and the original cleared transaction prior to the merge (which can be achieved by selecting the merged transaction and clicking the revert button.)

Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

11. 11 Posted by stevewi on 01 Jun, 2011 04:34 PM

Did this get fixed in MD 2011? Of course, since my CU merged with another and MD 2011 doesn't support downloads from it yet (see discusson on Addison Ave/First Tech merger), I haven't been able to download anything.

-- sw

12. 12 Posted by stevewi on 01 Jun, 2011 10:57 PM

Well, apparently it's not fixed... My download access came back today and I started re-enabling it for all my accounts. When I downloaded transactions, I got occurrences of this that stretch back MORE THAN A YEAR for every account. This is in spite of the "Only match transactions when they are no more than 21 days apart".

So, now I have to go through every account I've downloaded and clean out all the CRAP that MD has put in every one of them that stretches back more than a year in the past.

When is this going to be fixed?

-- sw

13. 13 Posted by Ben Spencer on 07 Jun, 2011 03:04 PM

Can you tell me the build number of the version of Moneydance you are running? Select Help->Console Window to see the build number.

In build 790 I definitely do not get offered merge options that are outside the range specified in the "Only match transactions when they are no more than N days apart" option.

I have spoken with the developers and they are convinced that are justifiable reasons why transactions that have been marked as cleared should still be offered as merge options. There are people who mark there manually entered transactions as cleared before downloading transactions from the bank and these need to be merged with the downloaded transactions.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

14. 14 Posted by stevewi on 07 Jun, 2011 03:25 PM

Moneydance 2011 (791)

On Jun 7, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Ben Spencer wrote:

<snip />

> I have spoken with the developers and they are convinced that are justifiable reasons why transactions that have been marked as cleared should still be offered as merge options. There are people who mark there manually entered transactions as cleared before downloading transactions from the bank and these need to be merged with the downloaded transactions.

<snip />

I personally think this is pretty dumb so how about a "Preference" to turn this behavior off?

--
    Steve Witten [email blocked]
    "...Everybody loves them dead presidents!"
                                   -- W. Dixon

15. 15 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 21 Jun, 2011 06:01 PM

Steve,

I think I know what the issue is. When first connecting (or re-enabling, as you did) an account in Moneydance to a bank's direct connect server, Moneydance downloads all transactions which are available on that server. The amount of data available varies by bank, for some it is 30 days, for some an entire year. From that point forward, Moneydance will only download new transactions. This behavior is distinct from the "Only match transactions which are __ days apart"- this behavior only controls which transactions will be suggested as a match, not which transactions are downloaded. We are working on adding an option so the user can specify that Moneydance disregard imported/downloaded transactions before a certain date, but this will likely not be available in the short term.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue, and please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

16. 16 Posted by stevewi on 21 Jun, 2011 06:40 PM

On Jun 21, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Angie Rauscher wrote:

<snip />

> We are working on adding an option so the user can specify that Moneydance disregard imported/downloaded transactions before a certain date, but this will likely not be available in the short term.

<snip />

While this may be useful, what I really need is "ignore downloaded transactions that are reconciled".

--
                                   -- W. Dixon

17. 17 Posted by davet65 on 22 Jun, 2011 02:14 AM

This is exactly the issue that I have posted several times, in several threads, the most recent of which are posts 44 & 48 in Home → Moneydance 2011 Preview →
    Reconciling Transactions in MD2011

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/md2010-beta/177-reconcilin...

While it is not a show-stopper issue for me a new MD convert from Q, it is a nuisance.

18. 18 Posted by stevewi on 22 Jun, 2011 02:30 AM

On Jun 21, 2011, at 11:40 AM, Steve Witten wrote:

>
    > On Jun 21, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Angie Rauscher wrote:
    >
    > <snip />
    >
    >> We are working on adding an option so the user can specify that Moneydance disregard imported/downloaded transactions before a certain date, but this will likely not be available in the short term.
    >
    > <snip />
    >
    > While this may be useful, what I really need is "ignore downloaded transactions that are reconciled".

This is not exactly right... What I need is a setting that says "if a downloaded transaction matches a reconciled transaction, create a new, unconfirmed transaction for the the downloaded transaction."

--
                                   -- W. Dixon

19. 19 Posted by davet65 on 22 Jun, 2011 02:56 AM

Steve,

Your post and subsequent edit, together with my post, illustrate very well what I acknowledge is a difficult programming issue - downloading, matching, reconciling.

To meet my situation, I NEED the ability to tell MD to ignore a downloaded transaction that it has erroneously presented because it has already been matched and reconciled. I don't want it to create a new transaction, because I already have it. If I accept it into MD as new, then delete it since it is in the register much earlier, MD will just present the downloaded transaction again next time.

It's been a while already, but I recall that QMac 2006 download window and process were superior and more robust. You could:
    1-Delete a downloaded transaction, or
    2-Unmatch it if it was an incorrect match, and it would then present it as New.

I don't recall that it ever failed to find a match, the other possibility in which the transaction is already in the register but Q didn't find it. If it did, i must have accepted the downloaded and deleted the manually entered one.

My situation is #1 - I would have told Q to Delete the downloaded transaction & manually reconciled the existing one (if I hadn't done it already). As I recall, if I told Q to Delete a downloaded, it never presented it again.

It can be done!

20. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

29 May, 2024 07:01 AM
29 May, 2024 06:26 AM
29 May, 2024 02:38 AM