import from pdf file?

LGV

26 Jun, 2009 04:25 AM

My bank only provides downloadable statements in the form of a pdf file. Is it possible to convert that file into something that I can import into MD? If not, this program might be fairly useless for me, as I'm not going to enter all that data by hand.

Thanks,

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 26 Jun, 2009 01:51 PM

Hello

I am afraid we have no method of imprting your data form a pdf file. pdf files are a format that is intended for printing and as such contain considerable layout information as well as your data, as such there is not a standard way for transactions to be stored in a pdf file and therefore we cannot import the file.

What is the name of your Bank? If they have an OFX server you might be able to connect Moneydance directly to their computers without having to download a transaction file from their website,

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by gldavenport on 17 Aug, 2009 03:15 AM

Does your bank allow you to download your data into a text file?

If so, then open the text file from within excel.

Save the excel file and then import it into MD.

Question: What format should excel use to save the data so that the data can be imported by MD? The options are many: .
    txt,
    windows comma seperated (.csv),
    data intechange format (.dif)
    symbolic link (.slk)

3. 3 Posted by Raimund Buchhol... on 17 Aug, 2009 11:38 AM

Hi,

you may just try to copy/paste the pdf text (transaction) information into a *.txt file and directly import with Text Importer extension.

4. 4 Posted by gldavenport on 17 Aug, 2009 12:51 PM

what fields and in what order need to be included in the text file?

In other words, does Money Dance recognize the date or the payee or does it assume that the date comes first, the payee 2nd, etc.

5. 5 Posted by Ben Spencer on 17 Aug, 2009 01:43 PM

Hi George

The number and order of the fields is flexible. The text file importer lets you configure this. See the attached screen shot.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

6. 6 Posted by gldavenport on 17 Aug, 2009 01:58 PM

very cool. Thanks Ben

I assume that this means that the best way to get raw data into Money Dance is via a text file, not an Excel file.

Ideally, the best solution is on-line banking, but if that is not available, am I correct that if we have an excel file, we should save it as a text file, and then use the importer?

Thanks

7. 7 Posted by Ben Spencer on 17 Aug, 2009 02:14 PM

Hi George

Yes, If you have raw data that is not formatted as an OFX, QIF or OFC file the best way to get it into Moneydance is to save it is a csv (comma separated values) text file and then use the Text file importer extension. There are disadvantages to doing this compared to importing say an OFX file, it is more time consuming and the data coming in through the text file importer does not go through the matching algorithm that attempts to match to transactions already in the register and categorise them appropriately. I would probably change banks to one that does at least offer the service of downloading my transactions in OFX format from their website. Almost all banks now offer this service.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

8. 8 Posted by gldavenport on 17 Aug, 2009 02:21 PM

I have a USAA credit card which is great because it gives a cash rebate instead of points or airline miles.

If USAA does offer OFX connectivity, that only will work on a go-forward basis correct? I have many months of text statements that I want to load into Money Dance.

Thanks for the helpful discussion of the text importer.

George

9. 9 Posted by Ben Spencer on 17 Aug, 2009 02:36 PM

Hi George

Different banks provided a varying level of access to your transaction history. Some let you download transactions going back considerably in time while others are more limited. I suggest you contact you financial institution and talk to them about your needs and the services they offer.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

10. Raimund Buchholz closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2010 12:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac