Can't download Citibank transactions.

ajwhipple

05 Jul, 2009 08:31 PM

I just downloaded the trial version of Moneydance 2008 (Build 640).

I set up my account for online banking, but when I try to download my transactions, I get the following error message:

"The given customer ID or PIN is not valid. For more information, contact your financial institution.

Additional information from the server:
Signon (for example, user ID or password) invalid"

I double-checked the credentials, and everything looks accurate. I've successfully logged into my account using the same user ID and password. I tried disabling online access and reentering all of the credentials with no success. Any tips to help me solve this problem?

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by John Selden on 08 Jul, 2009 01:41 PM

Hmm, strange. Perhaps you selected the wrong Citi institution (Citibank vs. Citi Cards)?

2. 2 Posted by Brian Adler on 08 Jul, 2009 07:23 PM

Does Citibank require you to enable your account for direct connections to 3rd party software? Have you connected this account to other software in the past? Often accounts need to be enabled for 3rd party software first.

If this is the case with Citibank, ask them to enable your account as if you were using Quicken 2008 for Windows. Representatives are most often not familiar with Moneydance but since it uses the same protocols as Quicken, this is a shortcut having them enable your account.

3. 3 Posted by ajwhipple on 09 Jul, 2009 04:25 PM

I contacted Citibank to ask about registration for a direct connection to quicken, and this is what they said:

In order to download using the Quicken One Step Update function, you need to be registered for the Quicken service through Citibank. There is a monthly fee for this service (see below).

We have initiated your Quicken enrollment and will mail you the registration kit. Please sign and return the registration form and we will set up your accounts and mail you a Quicken PIN. Your user ID for Quicken will be your Social Security Number. Please note that Quicken will assess a $9.95 fee each month for this service. The fee will be assessed on the statement following your enrollment.

They did say that I can download my transactions manually at no cost, so I guess I'll do that.

4. 4 Posted by Ben Spencer on 09 Jul, 2009 04:47 PM

Thanks for letting us know that was the cause of the problem. I tend to think its rather unreasonable for banks to charge for connection to their OFX server. There seems to be quite a bit of variation in how much banks charge. $120 a year seems very high! I have an account with Wachovia and they don't charge for the service.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

5. 5 Posted by John Selden on 09 Jul, 2009 04:49 PM

Yeah, I agree that the fee they are charging is ridiculous. There are lots of banks that provide that service for free. Sounds like it is time for a new bank! I switched banks a few years ago for similar reasons.

6. 6 Posted by Adam Rafferty on 04 Aug, 2009 03:44 PM

Thanks for saving me time on the phone with more idiots!! :-)

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac