Opening Moneydance

John K-P

06 Nov, 2010 05:01 PM

I always have to make several attempts to open Moneydance. I am very concerned that eventually I will not be able to open it at all. Once open it operates normally.
I am using Mac OS X.

1. 1 Posted by Jon Hoover on 07 Nov, 2010 02:03 PM

John
    After you open Moneydance please go to Help -> Console Window. From there I'd like you to copy and paste the contents of what it says in there and send it to me. This will provide me with some system information and also possible error messages that may explain your issue.
    Sincerely,
    Jon Hoover, Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by John Kenton-Pag... on 07 Nov, 2010 02:43 PM

Jon,

Thank you for your response.

The contents on the Console Window is -

Starting Moneydance 2010r3 (751)
    Settings Folder: /Users/johnkenton-page/.moneydance
    Java: 1.6.0_22 (Apple Inc.)

I had to make two attempts to start. The first failed and I had to use Force Quit.
    The second time it opened, but it took a long time.

I don't know if it is significant or not, but I have had problems with permissions.
    I used Disk Utility to repair the permissions but it made the situation worse.
    I have managed to overcome the problem in some cases by uninstalling and reloading programmes.
    I am thinking of reformatting the disk and starting from scratch but it is a last resort.

Regards,
    John Kenton-Page

3. 3 Posted by Jon Hoover on 08 Nov, 2010 04:54 PM

John,
    I think you might want to consider reformatting. Moneydance and Java are up to date and this is not a problem I've heard of before. If your computer is a bit wonky I'd say its probably a manifestation of a system issue. A less drastic and Moneydance specific solution to try is un-installing and re-installing Moneydance..
    Sorry I couldn't be more help, let me know if I can help you with anything else,

4. 4 Posted by John Kenton-Pag... on 08 Nov, 2010 10:23 PM

Jon,

Thanks for your message.

I think Console will show a normal start because of the way the programme boots.
    The first time it tries for a long time and finally gives up. For that reason one cannot access the Console.
    Then at the second attempt it starts normally and so the Console readout is normal.

I am going to the Mac Genius Bar this week to try and sort out the problems I am having.

Regards,
    John Kenton-Page

5. 5 Posted by Jon Hoover on 10 Nov, 2010 11:14 AM

John,
    Best of luck. If the people helping you track this issue back to Moneydance let us know and we'll take a look at it again.
    Sincerely,

6. 6 Posted by Brooke Hender on 17 Nov, 2010 07:46 AM

I've just switched from my old Powerbook G4 to a new Macbook Air and for the first time I'm having problems with Moneydance. I have installed everything from fresh. I often have to Force Quit and try again. More than happy to supply more details if required.

Regards,

Brooke Hender

7. 7 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 17 Nov, 2010 11:43 AM

Hi all,

There are known issues with the way Moneydance and Java 1.6.0_22 interact. We are working on resolving these issues, but in the meantime the best work-around is to go back to a previous version of Java (1.6.0_21 is fine). We've heard of other Java-based app which are having hiccups with Java 22 as well. I've attached the bug ticket for this issue to this thread, so you will be automatically notified when we have more news.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

Check out our new blog series, Moneydance on the Road.

8. 8 Posted by Brooke Hender on 02 Mar, 2011 07:21 PM

Hello,

Has there been any update with these issues? I'm still having them and I cannot revert to the previous version, or I don't know how to perhaps.

Thanks,

Brooke Hender

9. 9 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Mar, 2011 03:36 PM

I believe my collogue Angie was not entirely correct to blame java 1.6.0_22 on the issue you have been experiencing. There were a couple of minor issues with 1.6.0_22 and the user interface of Moneydance that we have since fixed. I have certainly not come across any instances of java 1.6.0_22 causing the program to crash. Can you provide reproduce able steps that cause the program to crash in such a way that you need to force quit.

If you could also select Help->Console Window and copy and paste the output to this discussion such that i can see your version numbers that would be very helpful.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

10. 10 Posted by Brooke Hender on 03 Mar, 2011 06:06 PM

Hello Ben,

It doesn't crash, but takes minutes to open whereas it used to take seconds. I just launch and leave it now. I can provide a log if that will help. It only happened since the new Java version was installed. It just sits there as though it hasn't launched and eventually the password window opens.

Brooke

11. 11 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Mar, 2011 06:21 PM

Can you try disabling encryption on your data file and see if that makes any difference.
    Ben

12. 12 Posted by Brooke Hender on 03 Mar, 2011 06:48 PM

Hello,

Removing it definitely returns it to normal. I also note that adding it again keeps it launching as it should. That simple? Surely not... I'll keep an eye on it to see whether it returns to its sluggish behaviour.
    Thanks,

Brooke

13. 13 Posted by Jon Hoover on 03 Mar, 2011 07:02 PM

Brooke,
    Glad to hear it is working for the moment. Please let us know if you have an issue again.
    Sincerely,

14. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac