Updates

Roger

22 Nov, 2010 05:28 PM

Dear Neville Crook,

Did you manage to resolve the problem we both experienced, together with other users. I have not seen a reply from Angie.
Thanks

Roger

1. 1 Posted by neville on 22 Nov, 2010 06:01 PM

Roger

Do you mean the updater problem associated with Yahoo/ UK funds raised by Marc and others. If so then no.

I have been working on it for the last few hours and Identified the change that Yahoo Finance UK have done to their symbols and changed the symbols in the MD updater but still no joy.

Reading another thread it appears that the problem may be due to Java version 22 so I have just uninstalled 22 and reinstalled 21 but no benefit. I know that UK Funds are only updated daily (EOD) so I was intending to check tomorrow am

2. 2 Posted by Roger Parr on 22 Nov, 2010 08:28 PM

Dear Neville,

Thanks for your reply. The answer to your first question is yes. I raised this in the forum as soon as I had the problem on the 17 Nov.

Within Quotes and Exchange Rate Settings, I have set both the Historical and Current Security Price to Yahoo Finance UK, with the Stock Exchange set as London Exchange GB Pence. I noticed that under the ticker symbol for each of my stocks, the symbol is quoted without a suffix, but when I created the stock originally, I inserted .L as the suffix after the symbol or ticker as it's known. I now noticed when I revisited my stocks under the security details, that the suffix is no longer there.

This may be due to the fact that possibly the Historical and Current Security Price settings were set up for Yahoo Finance USA and the stocks required the suffix .L to obtain the GB prices and now I have set it up for the London Exchange, the suffix was dropped automatically by the system.

As I said previously, on opening Moneydance, the stocks would update automatically and at 5 minute intervals which I had set up in the Synchronisation Setting. One other point I have noticed is that if I set the stock update with Yahoo Finance USA, the update includes a scroll bar on the right of the panel and it is blue and moves across left to right as the stocks are being updated. If I now set the stock update for Yahoo Finance UK, the scroll bar appears as before, but the bar is light grey, as though it is in background mode.

Like you, I wonder if this is all down to a Java update. I hope the above is helpful and would appreciate any useful advice you may have and from other quarters.

Roger

3. 3 Posted by neville on 23 Nov, 2010 03:24 PM

Roger

Still no further with this problem. As you say the .L suffix is not needed when specifying London Stock Exchange.

Re the updater bar mine seems to work as normal with the pale blue bar but on checking the Updater all prices for the funds are still stuck 15th Nov.

4. 4 Posted by Tom Freeman on 23 Nov, 2010 09:43 PM

I used the quotes and exchange rate extension (build 71) and I got the price history up to Nov 18, which is the last date on the Yahoo site. The current price did update as well.

I have attached screen shots. There may be issues with the extension, especially when updating non London exchange stocks because of the new Euro pages. I have notified the developer for the extension who is looking in to it.

I assume that the delay in updating the Yahoo price history is related to the new upgrade of the Yahoo Finance European pages.

You might want to clear your price histories and try updating again.

Tom

5. 5 Posted by Roger Parr on 24 Nov, 2010 07:17 PM

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your reply re the problems surrounding exchange rate extension.

I have attempted to clear the price histories as you suggested but it has made no difference to the price updates.

I will await your findings after you have had the opportunity to research this further.

Thanks

Roger

6. 6 Posted by neville on 26 Nov, 2010 11:01 AM

Tom

Further to Roger's comment I have set up a test Investment account and entered new info. Still the latest day is 15th November.

I have also reverted back to Java 1.6.0_16, well before the so called Java problems started again with no benefit.

This is now becoming a major problem.

7. 7 Posted by Tom Freeman on 26 Nov, 2010 07:40 PM

Have you confirmed that you are using build 71 of the extension?

I updated from the London exchange today and got a price history to the 23rd. This is the latest data listed on Yahoo.

Can you please post a screen shot of your extension pop-up box?

Tom

8. 8 Posted by neville on 27 Nov, 2010 08:23 AM

Tom

You are right I am on an older version 63.

Will update later today and get back to you.

9. 9 Posted by neville on 27 Nov, 2010 08:48 AM

Tom

Installed Version 71 and reinstalled latest Java 1.6.0_22

Still not working !

Screenshot below

Will try earlier versions of Java

10. 10 Posted by neville on 27 Nov, 2010 09:08 AM

Tom

On checking further your comments above I notice you are using Stocks not funds.

I have a DB X ETF which is traded as per stock and this updates OK 26th November (as I stated in one of my earlier emails) The problem is with the UK Investment Funds such as Invesco Perpetual, Jupiter et al.

Please try say IP Corporate Bond Acc symbol GB0033028779 on your system.

Regards

Neville

11. 11 Posted by Tom Freeman on 29 Nov, 2010 04:55 PM

Neville,

I went to the Yahoo UK site and have attached the screen shot of the history.

The extension grabs its data form the yahoo site and is dependent on that. I am not sure if previously Yahoo listed historical prices for this fund and then stopped. That may be why the price history ends at November 15.

Tom

12. 12 Posted by neville on 29 Nov, 2010 05:08 PM

Tom

Yes I noted that earlier. Did you manage to get a current price, as the system has never downloaded historical prices but downloaded current price and MD stored it in the Securities Detail as historic prices.

Way back when this extension was being developed there was always an error on historical prices but current price was not a problem. Now it is but I do not know what changed MD's download system, Java version or the way Yahoo UK send out it's data (if it is still allowing download of UK fund prices.

The message shown in my screen shot above has always been the same but the current price always showed the latest available price, albeit two or three days late, never 2 weeks.

Regards

Neville

13. 13 Posted by Tom Freeman on 29 Nov, 2010 06:32 PM

Neville,

Thanks for this specific. I am passing this on to the developer of the extension.

I believe the issue is how Yahoo lists the fund. Instead of a last trade price, the fund is listed as a NAV, which is probably the previous days close. Again I am unsure if Yahoo changed the way this fund was listed or something changed in the extension as to how the yahoo data is read. The developer will better know this answer.

Tom

14. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac