Linux Upgrade

John Hoss

18 Jul, 2009 09:35 PM

Using Moneydance 2008r3 (629)
Ubuntu 9.04

When I start MD, it indicates there is an upgrade available. I have downloaded the upgrade and copied it to /usr/local/moneydance.
So what is next? MD still starts and tells me there is an upgrade available.
SInce MD does not do automatic updates, It would be NICE if the developer put specific instructions for updates in some form of documentation.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Jul, 2009 01:48 PM

Hi John

Probable the easiest thing to do would be to install the automatic updater extension.

Select Add from the Extensions menu.

Click Next

Select "Moneydance Updater"

Click Next

Click Finish.

You will then get an option on the Extensions menu called "Moneydance Updater". From here you can set the updaters preferences. I believe the default is to check for updates each time run the Moneydance.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by John Hoss on 19 Jul, 2009 05:22 PM

Ben,
    I think we are on different pages.
    The Updater Extension is installed. On Ubuntu, it only tells me there is an update and asks if I want to download the XXX.jar file. Then there is a message telling me MD cannot perform this update automatically and I should copy the XXX.jar file to /usr/Moneydance ( I cannot remember the specific directory at this time). Previously, I had copied upgrades to that directory and upon the next opening of MD it performed an update. Not so now.

John

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 20 Jul, 2009 04:52 PM

Hi John

What is the location of your moneydane program directory. It might be that your user log in does not have write permission to that dir. I have Moneydance installed in my home folder and the update runs with problem.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

4. 4 Posted by John on 21 Jul, 2009 12:16 AM

Ben,
    MD is in this directory
    /bin/sh "/usr/local/moneydance/Moneydance"

5. 5 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 Jul, 2009 06:20 PM

In ubuntu you need to have super use privileges in order to write to the usr/local folder. That is why the updater is not able to do the task its self and asks you to copy the jar file manually. There should exist a .jar file in moneydance installation directory, replacing it with the new one should be all that you need to do. Are you sure you were able to successfully copy over the new jar file?

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

6. 6 Posted by John Hoss on 21 Jul, 2009 06:38 PM

Hi Ben,
    Yes I used SUDO CP to move the moneydance.jar file into the /usr/Moneydance directory. However, I will do it again just to make sure.

Where should I have installed MD?
    I think it went into /usr/xxx by default. I do not recall specifying the directory.

Thanks
    John

7. 7 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 Jul, 2009 07:01 PM

Hi John

usr/local is technically the appropriate place for user space (as opposed to kernel space) applications on linux, however ubuntu makes it tricky for a user to log in as root. I Installed Moneydance in my home directory to ensure that I had write access to it. Of course this is not ideal if you have multiple users on your machine as they would each need to install MD in their home directly. The developer is aware of this problem and is looking at how we can prompt the user for their sudo password when perfoming the upgrade.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

8. 8 Posted by John Hoss on 21 Jul, 2009 07:06 PM

Ben,
    Thanks for the clarification. Is it easy to move MD to the /home/xx/xx Directory?

9. 9 Posted by Ben Spencer on 22 Jul, 2009 02:22 PM

Hi John

Yes I believe so. I think all you need to do is copy the Moneydance folder to the new location. If you have a launcher on the desktop you would need to change the path to the program. And if you Move your data file you would need to reopen it using File->Open inside Moneydance.

Make sure you have a backup of your data file to prepare for the unexpected. That way if you do encounter a problem you can always just download the program again form moneydance.com/other and install it afresh in your home folder.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

10. 10 Posted by John Hoss on 22 Jul, 2009 02:56 PM

Thanks Ben,
    I will give this a shot and let you know the outcome.

John

11. 11 Posted by John Hoss on 30 Aug, 2009 07:07 PM

Ben,
    Since we last talked I have had to reinstall Ubuntu on my laptop. Even though I used Rsync and Ubuntu's Simple Back Up to create dual back ups my hidden directories did NOT get backed up with Rsync. Not that this is your problem. I do have a copy of my financial information that is a couple of months old. I have to reinstall MD. If I download MD from the website, will I need to buy a new license?

Thanks
    John

12. 12 Posted by Ben Spencer on 31 Aug, 2009 12:54 AM

Hi John

You can use your existing license key to register a fresh installation.

Ben

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac