Moneydance unable to save current .MD file

Bill Morton

13 Feb, 2011 10:31 PM

I've accidentally killed Moneydance. I normally run it on my Mac G5, using latest Mac (10.5) release. Today I downloaded the PC version from the WEB site and directed it to use the file still on the MacIntosh, since the 2 machines are networked. The PC instance brought up the file fine and seemed to work fine. I made one transaction, then tried to quit Moneydance, but it wouldn't let me quit, complaining about file permissions. I finally killed it from the taskbar.

I then went to the Mac, and noticed that there was both a CURRENT.MD and a CURRENT.MD^ file in the data directory. When Moneydance came up it said that the backup file was ahead of the base file and asked which I wanted to use; I selected the backup. It brought up the screen and the program ran fine, but when I tried to close it it complained it couldn't close the file. I went back, killed MD again, brought it up again and selected the Base file instead of the backup, entered one transaction, and again MD couldn't close, complaining about file permissions.

Somehow merely looking at the file from the PC version has done something to the file to kill Moneydance.

I desparately need to get it back! Any suggestions or comments would be welcome!

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 14 Feb, 2011 03:21 PM

Hi Bill,
    I'm not experienced with the Mac OS. Having said that, it sounds like you have inadvertently changed the permission rights to your Moneydance folder / file.
    You should log on as an Administrator (or Mac equivalent) and try to change the permissions back to the User level.
    HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 14 Feb, 2011 03:35 PM

Hi Bill

When Moneydance saves a data file It first saves a copy of the file and then copies that copy over the original. The reason for this is that if you computer crashed during the save operation the prior file would not be damaged. The down side of this is that you do not get exactly the same permissions on the file after you save it. You will get read write permission for the user that saved the file but not any other users that you had given permission to access that file.

The solution to this is to only ever access the shared file with the same user account. You can still share a file between mac and windows and but you should not set the permission on the file to be a group of users rather you should set it to have read and write access from the mac user and when you connect to the share on the mac from the windows box you should enter the mac user name and password.

An alternative to having to deal with the headache of multi-platform, multi-user authentication is to us a free service such as dropbox to store your data file. I personally use dropbox for my data file and it works beautifully. You can get it from http://www.dropbox.com.

I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

3. 3 Posted by Bill Morton on 14 Feb, 2011 05:40 PM

Thanks for the explanation. At the moment, however, I'm still stuck. Neither access (from the MAC, or from the PC) will allow me to save the MD data file; in fact it won't save the data so I am hung and must force-terminate MD in both cases.

I will give up on the multi-platform access but I really desperately need to restore
    functionality on the MAC. What do I need to do to "fix" MD so it will save data and close normally? Can I simply select a different, slightly older file using MD's FILE command,, update it with the transactions it hasn't seen yet, and then exit MD normally? If I do so will it automatically start using that "new" file the next time?

4. 4 Posted by Ben Spencer on 14 Feb, 2011 06:16 PM

Can you try saving the file to a location you are certain you have write permission to such as your desktop. Run Moneydance and select File->Save As... to change the folder you want to save to.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

5. 5 Posted by Bill Morton on 14 Feb, 2011 06:33 PM

OK, I tried all this on the MAC without any involvement from the PC--I've given up on that idea.

I renamed Current.MD and Current.MD^ and the most--recent date.MD files so MD would not see them. Then I ran MD and it said it had no current file, and showed me a list of available backups. I picked the most recent one, and it came up fine. I made one test transaction, and I STILL cannot exit MD after that--it complains that current.md can't be saved.

I'm growing rather desperate on this. I guess the worst case is I could re-download MD for the MAC, move ALL the old datafiles somewhere MD can't find them, and start all over---but this is so painful I can hardly contemplate it--I've 8 or 10 years of MD data with perhaps 10 or 12 financial institutions---AGGH.

Surely there must be a way to force MD to save and continue? Could I change the permissions on the .MD files to allow global read-write?

6. 6 Posted by Ben Spencer on 14 Feb, 2011 06:49 PM

Please open you data file in Moneydance and select File->Save As.... Browse to your desktop and save the file to that location.

Ben Spencer

7. 7 Posted by Bill Morton on 14 Feb, 2011 08:50 PM

----- Original Message -----
    <[email blocked]>
    To: <wjmwjm@q.com>
    Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 10:58 AM
    Subject: Re: Moneydance unable to save current .MD file [Problems]

Thanks, Ben. I will try your suggestion; I have temporarily solved
    the problem by simply changing the permission vector for
    current.md to allow Read/Write from World. Kind of a drastic
    measure but that is working OK for me now.

I appreciate your timely and on-point response to the problem. I've used
    MD for 7 or 8 years (a convert from Quicken on the PC), and depend upon
    it very heavily. I use almost all of the features except electronic bank
    stuff,
    and have recommended it to countless people. It is light-years ahead of
    Quicken, even for the PC, and Quicken for the Mac is hopeless.

I also considered moving the data file to a SAN-like service, as you
    suggested in
    your earlier response, but I am a bit diffident about doing that because
    of security issues--the data file is XML and more or less human-readable,
    as I understand it. Putting financial data in human-readable form anywhere
    on a service scares me a bit. OTOH, I've just enabled WORLD access
    to it on my own machine, so . . . .

Thanks again for all your help. Both response time and quality of
    assistance
    were EXCELLENT.

8. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:33 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac