Problems with Build 641

ds4854

26 Jul, 2009 10:56 PM

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.7, with Moneydance 2008r4 (641), Java Version 1.5.0_19. I just got back from a 3.5 week vacation. When I started MD for the first time upon returning, the updater urged me to install build 641, so I did. I was previously running build 640.

Since the update to 641, I'm having a strange problem with one (only one) of my investment accounts. I have 6 investment accounts with Fidelity. Whenever I try to download the recent transactions using the "Download Transactions" from the "Online" pulldown in MD, 5 of the 6 accounts work just fine, as they always have. The 6th account sits for a longer-than-usual time, and then reports back that the account is up to date. I know this is wrong, because I can look at the account on Fidelity's web site and see transactions posted there which are not reflected in, or being recognized/downloaded by, MD. In addition, after it reports "up to date", the entire Moneydance menu bar disappears in a manner similar to that reported in another recent posting here. I have to quit and restart MD to make the menu bar come back.

To emphasize a couple of key points: 1) I did not have this problem with this account or any other account prior to the update to build 641. I successfully downloaded transactions from this very same Fidelity account under build 640. 2) None of my other accounts are affected. I can still successfully download transactions from 5 other Fidelity accounts and from a credit card account with Citi Cards (I don't do any other accounts because the institutions either don't support Direct Connect or charge for the privilege).

Would reverting to build 640 fix this? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks for any help you can give.

David

1. 1 Posted by Brian Adler on 27 Jul, 2009 05:02 PM

David,

I am surprised that version 641 is responsible for this, but we should rule that out. You can revert to version 640 by downloading from this location and placing the extracted file in your applications folder:

http://moneydance.com/download/2008/MacOS_X/Moneydance.zip

Once you have downloaded 640, you can open the Moneydance Updater extension and change it's settings so that it only prompts you to update to the latest stable version of Moneydance rather than the latest preview version.

Sincerely,

Brian Adler

Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by ds4854 on 28 Jul, 2009 02:25 AM

Brian,

I tried reverting to Build 640, and no joy. It had the same behavior as I reported above on build 641, in that it still reports "up to date" on the one investment account and the menu bar disappears at the same time. The same thing happens on the Citi cards credit card account now as well, but that's reasonable because that account probably is up to date, seeing as how I downloaded the transactions in that one yesterday.

I did notice that under Build 640, the menu bar disappeared in lots more circumstances, such as when I replied "cancel" to the popup about updating to build 641. However, I could bring the menu bar back by opening Preferences or bringing up the "About Moneydance" popup.

After all the fun and games, I went back to Build 641, and everything's about the same as under build 640. The only difference is that the menu bar doesn't seem to disappear under as many different circumstances.

I'm pretty sure that I used build 640 to download transactions with great success in late June, so it seems that something has changed since then somewhere. Maybe a Java update? It didn't look like anything of that nature was coming through in recent Apple software updates, but I'm no expert.

Any and all suggestions or insights are welcome.

Thanks,

David

3. 3 Posted by Brian Adler on 08 Sep, 2009 09:49 PM

David,

I am so sorry that your inquiry has been neglected all this time. Are your downloads working correctly now? If they are not, we should have you load the debugger extension to diagnose what is happening. The menu bar issue has been caused by a recent Java update that Apple will either soon (or has already) fix.

Brian

4. 4 Posted by ds4854 on 09 Sep, 2009 07:42 PM

Brian,

Yes, thanks, things have been working normally again on the last couple of attempts. I only do this with the Fidelity accounts every two weeks (when I get paid, and there are new transactions in these work-related retirement accounts), so it takes a while to try them again.

I still don't know what was wrong. Maybe some problem with Fidelity's server? But it seemed very odd that I could download from all my accounts with them except the one troublemaker.

I am still having problems with the top menu mostly disappearing after downloads, which has been reported and attributed to a Mac Java update issue in other threads. It's easily fixed by selecting "Moneydance -> Preferences" and then dismissing the Preferences popup. The menu immediately reappears.

Thanks for checking. Feel free to close this thread if you want.

David

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac