Incorrect balance shown when "Uncleared" mode is used.

bkeyport

02 Jun, 2011 05:52 AM

Here's a bug for you.... (Two Attachements)

When you're in "Uncleared transaction" mode, and a transaction that's got a date due to the OTHER Account's date (Cross-account transfer), and the item has several transactions after it, you get an incorrect balance in the register portion of the program, but not on the sidebar.

In this case, I did a transfer of from my Ally savings account to my primary checking account at ACU. This transfer has a originating date of the 25th of May per Ally's records, and is shown as that date in that Moneydance register. It has not been received at ACU as of yet (Expected 6/2). ACU's statement clears at the End Of Month. Transactions occured after the 25th of the month to bring my actual balance there to 81.10 (Expected balance per register 681.10) I Have reconciled ACU's records to the 1st of the month, and to declutter the screen, set the buttons to "Uncleared". This shows one transaction, the transfer from Ally with an incorrect balance - it is showing the balance when the transaction is registered, not the balance as if it shifted forward.

Can you fix?

Attachments are not showing any private info.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 02 Jun, 2011 02:22 PM

Hi

If I understand you correctly you are describing a real life time delay between account transfers. Where as a transfer in Moneydance has the same date on both sides of the transaction. Which is to say that in Moneydance transfers happen instantly.

If you want to reflect this real life time delay in moneydance you can do so by creating a pass through account to hold the money wile it is in limbo. Select Account->New Account... and create an account of type asset. Call the account something line "Bank transfer pass through".Then when you want to transfer from A->B instead of going directly enter a transfer from A->"Bank transfer pass through" when you initiate the transfer and then from "Bank transfer pass through"->B when the money arrives in B.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by bkeyport on 02 Jun, 2011 04:12 PM

as usual, you totally and completely miss the problem, and provide the most stupid way to solve it. The problem is that the program isn't computing the balance live, and therefore is resulting in incorrect balances in the register.

If you hide all transactions that have cleared, from a computerized register standpoint, that forces a double resort that HAS to happen to make the records correct. First resort is "Cleared first, then uncleared transactions", which would move the uncleared transactions to the bottom of the register, then the natural sort by date. THEN, you recalculate the balance, and it would show the balance as expected, and correct in both places. the simple "Hide everything around it and don't live calculate the balance" thing you're doing now isn't cutting it..

Time to figure out if Quicken can work around the fact my bank don't do QFX yet, I guess, at least they know basic accounting rules.

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 02 Jun, 2011 06:58 PM

The running balance shown in the register is the balance of the account after each transaction. Transactions that are filtered out still affect the running balance of the register. I am sorry that this does not meet your needs.

I am sorry I misunderstood you. Quite frankly the rudeness of your response leads me to not be inclined to enter into further dialogue with you. If you would like refund I will happily authorise one for you today.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

4. 4 Posted by bkeyport on 02 Jun, 2011 07:15 PM

If my reply came off as rude, I'm sorry - I'm just sick and tired of half read statements and stupid responses as a result. It's a plague on the industry as a whole.

The thing is, the running balance still isn't right if you're filtering out results - like I said before, this specific filter needs a sort to assure all filtered out transactions are before the non-filtered transaction, fixing the problem.

But whatever. I've given up. Just another annoyance I guess I'll have to deal with when it comes to computers, there's so many to choose from.

5. bkeyport closed this discussion on 28 Jun, 2011 06:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac