Problem printing checks

Tom Keller

09 Aug, 2009 03:02 PM

I am running Moneydance 2008r3 (631) on Mac 10.5.7.
I enter a new transaction, select that transaction and then select "Print Checks" from the "Actions" pulldown menu.
I then get the message "No checks need to be printed".
What am I doing wrong?

1. 1 Posted by james f on 09 Aug, 2009 03:35 PM

I am running MD 2008r4 (641) on Mac 10.5.7. I just tested the "Print Checks" action and a message kicks back "No checks to be printed".

And, Yes, the check has a check number associated with it.

I think that there may be a glitch in the Mac version of MD.

2. 2 Posted by james f on 09 Aug, 2009 03:44 PM

There is no glitch.

I was fooling around with MD.

Figured out that in the Check# field, you must enter {print} from the pull down menu, instead of putting a check number in there.

3. 3 Posted by Tom Keller on 10 Aug, 2009 02:37 PM

OK, got it, after 5 minutes of experimentation. You print checks by (1) entering a new transaction with in the check # field. You cannot print checks from existing transactions without in the check # field. When you select "print checks" from the pull down menu, it looks for all rows with in the check # field.

This information might help the next soul stuck.

4. 4 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 Aug, 2009 02:52 PM

Hi

I am sorry I didn't respond t your question sooner. Just to clarify the process for other users who might read this thread I am pasting the relevant section of th of the help documentation:

Printing Checks:

It is possible to print Moneydance transactions on virtually any style of pre-printed checks. To print checks with Moneydance you will first need to obtain pre-printed check stock, including any account number, routing number, or sort code that will need to be on the check. Moneydance will print the date, amount, payee, memo, and optionally the address of a payee on your checks.
    To use the check-printing feature, you will need to mark some of your transactions as to-be-printed. This can be done by setting the check number field for the transactions to be printed as "{Print}". When you select the Actions->Print Checks function, Moneydance will locate any transactions with "{Print}" in the check number field, print them onto paper checks, and put the number of the paper check into the check number field.

In order to print the address of a payee on the paper check you will first need to make sure that an address book entry has been associated with the transaction to print. If an address book entry has been associated with a transaction, the @ symbol will appear next to the payee name in the transaction editor. You will also need to select the "Print Addresses" option for the style of check you are printing. This can be done in the Check Printing section of the Preferences window.

I hope this help.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

5. 5 Posted by Tom Keller on 10 Aug, 2009 03:52 PM

Ben, thank you very much.Where can I get a copy of the help information?  It doesn't come up on my mac  under the Help pulldown, so a pdf or url would be very helpful.- Tom

--- On Mon, 8/10/09, Ben Spencer <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Re: Problem printing checks [Problems]
    To: [email blocked]
    Date: Monday, August 10, 2009, 2:52 PM

6. 6 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 Aug, 2009 07:29 PM

you can get a pdf of the help files here:

http://moneydance.com/download/doc/

7. 7 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 Aug, 2009 07:37 PM

I just checked on a mac test system and the help files are located under Help->"Help Contents"

Is that menu option not available on your installation? What version of Moneydance are you using? You can likely upgrade for free to the latest version from this link:

http://moneydance.com/other

Ben

8. 8 Posted by Tom Keller on 11 Aug, 2009 12:47 AM

Ben, double thanks.  I was just impatient with the pulldown and didn't explore "contents".- Tom

--- On Mon, 8/10/09, Ben Spencer <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Re: Problem printing checks [Problems]
    To: [email blocked]
    Date: Monday, August 10, 2009, 7:37 PM

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac