Migrating from Quicken 2000 UK version

mike.pallett

24 Aug, 2009 03:30 PM

I have the trial version and am trying to migrate my UK Quicken 2000 data. I have 14 years data and many accounts with base £ and some $.

The logistics of the transfer are such that I have opted to migrate just the last 5 years and have some problems:

I regulary make $ withdrawals from my UK bank when in the US, then deposit directly into my US account. These I show as transfers to my US bank and I manually enter the sterling cost of the $ withdrawal in my UK bank. These transactions are duplicated in Moneydance which I can live with BUT how can I force the values of the original transaction, the system is entering it's own values and this is obviously not acceptable.

I haven't tried sorting out my investment accounts yet but the security values are multiplied by 100. Is there any way I could change this rather than go through them manually?

Finally (I hope), if I decide to import my older data later, can this be done - I wlould export just the data up to the point of current migrated data.

Mike

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 29 Aug, 2009 08:07 PM

Hi Mike

I am sorry for the delay in responding to you r enquiry. Things have been rather hetic lately on the forum.

When you enter a transaction in your UK account you can set the exchange rate of the transaction in the field directly underneath the Payment field. See the attached screen shot.

I believe the trouble with the security values being multiplied by 100 is that in the uk version of Quicken uk stocks are priced in pence with a currency set to GBP. I'd have to have a look at your qif file to be sure but I think quicken is exporting the data in a qif file such that it is telling Moneydance that a 100 pence item is 100 pounds. If this is the case I believe this is a bug in quicken. And you would have to modify the price history in Moneydance by hand.

Would you attach your qif file so I can verify this. I have made this discussion private to protect your privacy.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by mike.pallett on 30 Aug, 2009 05:30 PM

Hi Ben - thanks for your response. I have managed to enter the actual exchange values and amounts for transfers between different currency accounts. I delete the transaction and then reenter with new values using required exchange rate manually calculated. I thought that I had done it before but then lost the changes when I went back in a new session. It seems that it is essential to delete and reenter rather than attempt to edit.

I have also made some progress with Security transactions. The portfolio view does show pounds for pennies but the register recognises that the price was pence and moves decimal place - so my registers appear to be ok but the portfolio value makes me very wealthy! (X £100). I've gone through one investment account (which started in 1998), the QIF file was from 1 Sept 2005 so I manually entered the one earlier security still held, purchased in 1998 and adjusted cash balance b/f up.
    It is reconciled.

I'm finding it difficult moving around MD - how do I get back to home page, if I use "see other side of transfer" I lose the option to select another account from dropdown at top left. Am I missing something? Can I have frequently used accounts displayed as in Q. Quicken was much easier in this respect.

Finally when (if?) I get my data from 2005 transferred will I be able to migrate the old data across piecemeal? say a year at a time, or one account at a time.

Thanks again - Mike

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 31 Aug, 2009 01:16 PM

Hi Mike

I am sorry this is proving to by quite as muh trouble as it is.

When you click "Show other side" for a transaction the transaction register for the other side should pop open in a new sub window. Clicking on the main window again gives you the option to move back to the home page.

Ben

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac