split transactions

Denis Woodhams

24 Oct, 2011 01:56 PM

Cannot do split transactions

1. 1 Posted by Denis Woodhams on 24 Oct, 2011 01:59 PM

I cannot do split transactions

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 24 Oct, 2011 03:55 PM

To enter a split transaction when editing a transaction click the "split" button at the top of the list of categories rather than selecting a category.

Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

3. 3 Posted by Denis Woodhams on 26 Oct, 2011 12:13 PM

Still can't do it
    I have been doing splits on the old system for years, no problem.
    I can only enter the first split
    Denis

4. 4 Posted by -Kevin N. on 26 Oct, 2011 12:51 PM

Hi Denis,
    I recall some users having this issue but it was just a matter of the split window being drawn too small. They needed to resize the split window to resolve it.
    If this is not the case in your instance, then you should provide the following:
    Version of Moneydance
    Operating system and version
    Version of Java installed
    You should be able to glean this information from the first few lines of text displayed in the Console Window listed under Moneydance's Help menu. Just copy and paste the information into your next post.
    Also provide any error message(s) included in the Console Window or displayed elsewhere.
    A screenshot of the split window may also provide a clue to the problem.
    HTH -Kevin N.

5. 5 Posted by George Lee on 26 Oct, 2011 01:23 PM

I am having the same problem--cannot split items while editing a transaction. My information is as follows:
    Starting Moneydance 2011 (791)
    Settings Folder: /Users/georgelee/.moneydance
    Java: 1.6.0_26 (Apple Inc.)
    setStatus(There are no accounts to be downloaded, -1.0)
    setStatus(Updater: You have the latest version of Moneydance, 0.0)

Any help you can offer is much appreciated..
    George

6. 6 Posted by -Kevin N. on 26 Oct, 2011 01:57 PM

Hi George,
    Have you tried the key combo CMD - L (CTRL - L for Windows)?
    Create a new txn so that it's in Edit mode then apply the key combo.
    HTH -Kevin N.

7. 7 Posted by George Lee on 26 Oct, 2011 02:02 PM

Yes, I have tried that. It works when I am editing a transaction that already has splits, but not for a transaction that was not originally posted as a split. I'm mainly having a problem when I sell an investment, then transfer proceeds to both checking and to tax accounts. I am entering the transaction from an investment account and am not seeing the Split window as an option under the Category. Is that possible/clear??

George

8. 8 Posted by -Kevin N. on 26 Oct, 2011 02:13 PM

Hi George,
    The way I understand it is that investment txns are already split txns and can not be further split by the user.
    You would either need to create 2 separate SellXfr txns. One to transfer funds to the checking account and one to transfer funds to the tax accoujnt. Or create 1 Sell txn and then 2 Xfr txns.
    HTH -Kevin N.

9. 9 Posted by Ben Spencer on 26 Oct, 2011 02:32 PM

Kevin is correct. You cannot create additional splits in investment accounts. You will need to create a pass through distribution account.

Ben Spencer

10. 10 Posted by George Lee on 26 Oct, 2011 02:44 PM

Kevin, that does work, but it is a lot of entries for one event (have one txn for sale of security, one txn for transfer to checking, one txn for Fed tax and one txn for State tax). Wish there was a way to do just one split transaction...

Pls pass on to others for comment..
    George

11. 11 Posted by Ben Spencer on 26 Oct, 2011 02:54 PM

You could remove one of the transactions by using a SellXfr rather than a Sell.

Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

12. 12 Posted by George Lee on 26 Oct, 2011 03:46 PM

That was how I started... Creating first txn as SellXfr with sale of shares, and transferring $ to checking. Then tried to split txn in checking into the other two tax entries--couldn't do this. And I don't think I can do splits in Investments..

George

13. 13 Posted by -Kevin N. on 26 Oct, 2011 04:27 PM

Hi George,
    I'm not sure that this would really matter but just from a tracking standpoint, you may want to consider creating a Sell txn rather than a SellXfr.
    Then as I mentioned in post # 4, you could create separate Xfr txns to the Checking account and to each of the Tax accounts. This way the tax txns remain in the Investment account rather than becoming uncoupled and being part of the Checking account.
    HTH -Kevin N.

14. 14 Posted by George Lee on 26 Oct, 2011 04:38 PM

Your approach does work and tracks all accts accurately. I'm just reluctant to have to make 12 entries a month for 3 txns. Using an earlier version of Quicken I could edit the transferred amt in the checking acct amongst the various other accts

Best,
    George

Sent from my iPhone

15. 15 Posted by -Kevin N. on 26 Oct, 2011 04:48 PM

Hi George,
    You may want to look into the 'Memorize' option to try and cut down on some of the redundacy of entering all those transactions manually.
    CTRL - click one of the existing Xfr txns and choose 'Memorize' from the context menu. This action will create a 'Reminder'. You will be given the oportunity to edit the amount when you go to enter the 'Reminder' txn.
    HTH -Kevin N.

16. 16 Posted by George Lee on 26 Oct, 2011 05:06 PM

Thx. That should help

Best,
    George

Sent from my iPhone

17. 17 Posted by Denis Woodhams on 27 Oct, 2011 08:48 AM

Starting Moneydance 2011r2 (803)

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Denis Laptop.moneydance

Java: 1.6.0_21 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)

isEditingTxn()? editor: com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.txnreg.RegPSplitTxnEditor[,0,0,811x38,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.border.MatteBorder@9ff0a8,flags=16777224,maximumSize=,minimumSize=java.awt.Dimension[width=200,height=38],preferredSize=java.awt.Dimension[width=500,height=38]]; txn: SplitTxn(-1): val=38376; rate=1.0; amt=-38376; desc=; stat= ; cat=Personal:Groceries; ]

recording (existing) txn editing: SplitTxn(-1): val=38376; rate=1.0; amt=-38376; desc=; stat= ; cat=Personal:Groceries; ]

handling action: java.awt.event.ActionEvent[ACTION_PERFORMED,cmd=split_txn,when=1319630823681,modifiers=Button1] on javax.swing.JButton[,140,2,67x26,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.5,border=javax.swing.plaf.BorderUIResource$CompoundBorderUIResource@e4245,flags=296,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=,defaultIcon=,disabledIcon=,disabledSelectedIcon=,margin=javax.swing.plaf.InsetsUIResource[top=2,left=14,bottom=2,right=14],paintBorder=true,paintFocus=true,pressedIcon=,rolloverEnabled=true,rolloverIcon=,rolloverSelectedIcon=,selectedIcon=,text=Split...,defaultCapable=true]
    in register: com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.txnreg.TxnRegister[,0,31,963x604,layout=java.awt.GridBagLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=16777673,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]

isEditingTxn()? editor: com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.txnreg.RegPSplitTxnEditor[,0,0,811x38,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.border.MatteBorder@c68a98,flags=16777224,maximumSize=,minimumSize=java.awt.Dimension[width=200,height=38],preferredSize=java.awt.Dimension[width=500,height=38]]; txn: SplitTxn(-1): val=0; rate=1.0; amt=0; desc=; stat= ; cat=Bank Charge:Service Charges; ]

recording (existing) txn editing: SplitTxn(-1): val=0; rate=1.0; amt=0; desc=; stat= ; cat=Bank Charge:Service Charges; ]

isEditingTxn()? editor: com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.txnreg.RegPSplitTxnEditor[,0,0,811x38,invalid,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=javax.swing.border.MatteBorder@c68a98,flags=16777224,maximumSize=,minimumSize=java.awt.Dimension[width=200,height=38],preferredSize=java.awt.Dimension[width=500,height=38]]; txn: null

18. 18 Posted by Denis Woodhams on 27 Oct, 2011 09:17 AM

Now I'm getting really pissed off, paid for an upgrade that clearly doesn't work.
    Maybe I should ask for my money back and try another programme

19. 19 Posted by George Lee on 29 Oct, 2011 01:30 PM

Thanks Kevin, that is helpful...

George

20. 20 Posted by Ben Spencer on 29 Oct, 2011 02:05 PM

Dennis

The current version of the software definitely lets you enter splits. Make sure that the split window is sufficiently tall. The split register maintains some white space at the bottom that means the window needs to be taller than you might think.

Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

21. 21 Posted by phil on 29 Oct, 2011 11:30 PM

Thank you for your replies to me and others - I now have it straightened
    out.

22. 22 Posted by Denis Woodhams on 31 Oct, 2011 10:15 AM

Thanks Ben, that fixed it

23. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 31 Oct, 2011 06:27 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac