Problems Printing Checks with latest OSX

yardy

31 Mar, 2017 09:35 PM

I have recently update OSX to verion 10.12.4 and now I can't print checks or even do a "test print" or 'calibrate printer'. I have tried disabling the OSX 'share printer' option and then re enabling it. All was well with OSX 10.12. I am running the latest Moneydance 2017.2 (build 1597).

The only way out of this printer hang is to do a force quit.

I have just updated my Mac to 10.12.5 and this printing issue has not changed - still have to wait 5 minutes for checks to print.

Showing page 4 out of 6. View the first page

1. 91 Posted by jhvanhorn on 21 Jun, 2017 08:30 PM

Bob,
    Does Banktivity support lot specific cost basis tracking of
    investments? Went to their website and could not determine if it did or
    did not.

Jim

2. 92 Posted by rnmcdowell on 21 Jun, 2017 08:34 PM

Unsure…..that said, just connect with their chat team on the website and
    they will respond within minutes.

3. 93 Posted by Andrew on 21 Jun, 2017 08:35 PM

I am having this issue also. I see that it has been ongoing for months. Ridiculous.

4. 94 Posted by hweathers1980 on 21 Jun, 2017 09:14 PM

Moved on to Banktivity and am very pleased.

5. 95 Posted by boreham on 21 Jun, 2017 09:16 PM

Can't believe Infinite Kind is hosting a discussion about which competitor to move to !!

6. 96 Posted by danflynn on 21 Jun, 2017 09:20 PM

I have used Moneydance for several years since I migrated from Quicken. I have been extremely pleased throughout that time, both with the product and with any support issues I have had. This printing issue, and the way the IK staff is responding to it, amazes me. It is totally out of character with what I have seen before. I understand the correcting the problem like this may be very difficult and there is no easy answer, but it would help if I K would regularly update us – even to say that there is no progress – on a regular basis.

7. 97 Posted by johncalabrese on 21 Jun, 2017 10:10 PM

Yes, I agree completely. I really like the program and really don’t want to move to another app. I too am amazed by the lack of updates from IK on this issue. Even just to say we don’t have it resolved but we’re working on it would be helpful. Anything, really! Just let us know it’s at the top of your fixit list and you haven’t forgot about us!

John

Reply-To: <[email blocked]>

8. 98 Posted by GEOFFREY THORNB... on 22 Jun, 2017 09:24 PM

Thanks for the info.
    Will try it.

Geoff Thornber.

9. 99 Posted by dwg on 22 Jun, 2017 10:39 PM

I found this discussion on the Apple Developers forum it may explain what is going on

Just FYI, I investigated this as part of a DTS incident from another developer and found that:

1. On macOS 10.12.4 and later the sandbox prevents localhost:631 access for security reasons (r. 8992907).

2. cupsServer, the function that returns the default printer, returns a path to CUPS’s UNIX domain socket, which works fine from within the sandbox.

3. Java calls cupsServer and then, if the result starts with /, it ignores the returned value and prints via localhost:631. This is blocked by the above-mentioned security change.

I don’t know which Java does this but it definitely seems like it’s their problem to resolve.

In the users application he resolved it by:

creating new native methods that use NSPageLayout, NSPrintPanel and NSPrintperation classes directly in JNI.

10. 100 Posted by sth on 24 Jun, 2017 03:59 PM

Banktivity is an alternative but running after the next shiny object should be considered carefully. AFAICT banktivity requires a monthly payment for direct connect downloads. Direct Access is nice but how nice? This ends up more than the annual upgrade fee for MD every 6 months or so.
    https://www.iggsoftware.com/support/articles/ibank-5/how-much-does-...

11. 101 Posted by rnmcdowell on 24 Jun, 2017 04:17 PM

Sorry but this is in fact not the case. There are two options in
    Banktivity, one that updates through OFX files and does not require any
    additional payment and a Direct Access version that updates in background
    from the bank and includes pending transactions, etc. I use the first and
    there is not charge for it, unless the bank has a fee, in which case you
    would be paying that using Moneydance as well.

12. 102 Posted by Don Hodapp on 24 Jun, 2017 04:30 PM

Have you been using Banktivity? I looked at it and it looked good. This looks like it might be as good or better than Moneydance without the hassle. Of course, everything is better than Quicken for Mac.

I came to the conclusion that OFX or QFX would work with Banktivity as they do with Moneydance without a fee.

Thankfully I don’t print much with Moneydance. When I do I just set it up and then patiently wait for the printing to start.

13. 103 Posted by rnmcdowell on 24 Jun, 2017 04:57 PM

Don,

I have been and I like it. It’s really written for the Mac, so the whole
    experience is just better at least so far. The set up is quite
    straightforward and the few questions I had were handled by the support
    staff through a chat screen. None of my waits for them were more than a
    minute or so. I did need to do some printing, and the wait for Moneydance
    after all the months with no fix and very little communication was more
    than I wanted to continue to deal with.

14. 104 Posted by hweathers1980 on 24 Jun, 2017 09:42 PM

Have been using Bankivity orabout 2 months and am really pleased. You can download your
    OXX or QFX files free just like in MD. It does not have the scheduled transactions in calendar format like MD but have turned in request which they said they are already looking at.

15. 105 Posted by danflynn on 25 Jun, 2017 11:10 PM

I just see from the blog the Infinite released a new version of MD, but the release don't say anything about the printing issue, and it doesn't seem to work any better than the last pre-release version (yes--printing is faster than it used to be, but still not better). I understand it may be a difficult-to-solve problem, but I can't understand why the company isn't being more forthright about it.

16. 106 Posted by sth on 26 Jun, 2017 12:25 AM

Unfortunately this info is spread across several threads.... It appears that it is a bug in Java (not OS X) and has been submitted but Oracle has not reproduced the issue and so a fix is not being worked on.
    https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8181571

I am not sure who Chris Benson is who reported the bug, I would have expected it to be someone from IK ! I am not sure what IK can do other than keep the bug report updated with how to reproduce the error and show interest in getting it fixed.

17. 107 Posted by boreham on 26 Jun, 2017 06:25 AM

Release Notes for 2017.3 (https://infinitekind.com/blog/update-moneydance-2017-3) on blog say :

"Attempt to reduce the ridiculous delay when connecting to printing system on macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and later (but it’s still slow… we’re working on it!)"

Contains bug fixes I have been waiting for.

18. 108 Posted by dwg on 26 Jun, 2017 07:00 AM

If you want a more detailed, but very rough, list of changes you can refer to the change log.

http://infinitekind.com/previewdl/current/changelog.txt

19. 109 Posted by yardy on 26 Jun, 2017 01:52 PM

Just loaded MD 2017.3 and tried a 'Print Test Page' from the ‘Preference/Check Printing’ tab and the OSX print dialog box opened in approx. 90 sec as against 5 to 6 minutes previously. (I had MD open for about 10 minutes before trying this) So the update is worth loading just for this improvement without all the other fixes/improvements.

20. 110 Posted by Fred on 27 Jun, 2017 02:47 AM

Can report same as yardy. About 90 sec. to get the print dialog, then another 30 sec. before printing starts.

21. 111 Posted by Bob Hovey on 30 Jun, 2017 04:26 PM

Jenny

Re printing delay issue -

At the suggestion of folks on this thread I upgraded my MD2015 (Sierra, new Mac Mini) to MD2017.3.

As advertised, the upgrade significantly improved, but did not solve, the printing delay problem. Processing the upgrade was extremely quick and easy. Best upgrade process yet.

My results after the upgrade are:

1. Income and expense report, for a small data file:

From hitting the “print” box on the report screen to print control box appearing was 1 minute and 34 seconds……. from there to printer beginning to actually print was 2 minutes and ten seconds. Total job time 3 minutes and 44 seconds.

2. Test print check from MD / Preferences / check printing / test check (blank check, three to a page):

From hitting the “print” box on the report screen to print control box appearing was 1 minute and 25 seconds……. from there to printer beginning to actually print was 2 minutes and nine seconds. Total job time 3 minutes and 34 seconds.

Roughly a third of the old wait times.

I have copied all here and I will post to one more thread I’m on for this issue. Y’all might want to endorse the 2017 upgrade to all concerned with the caveat that is is not the ultimate solution.

Bob Hovey

22. 112 Posted by Ciaran on 01 Jul, 2017 01:16 AM

Do we need to pay for this fix? I noticed that my current license key is not accepted :-(

23. 113 Posted by Robert HOVEY on 01 Jul, 2017 03:43 AM

Our MD2015 license key was accepted for the 2017 update. We didn't even have to type it in. The installation process found it, posted it, and used it without any effort on our part. We are on Mac Mini desktop.

Bob Hovey

Sent from my iPhone
    Bob Hovey
    404-333-1598

24. 114 Posted by sth on 01 Jul, 2017 05:01 PM

I think that if you bought 2015 you get a free upgrade to 2017. If you upgraded to 2015 from a previous version (at half price) then you need to pay for the upgrade to 2017 (at half price). It is a pretty fair and cheap process.

25. 115 Posted by Ian O on 04 Jul, 2017 03:17 PM

Hi All,

I wanted to ensure you have seen our most recent update, from our Lead Developer, Sean Reilly. You can view the reply here and I have also copied the comments below -

"I think I mentioned before that the problem was due to a conflict between additional security measures in macOS 10.12.4 + and how Java connects to the mac printing system. Talking to Apple, they have no plans to adjust the security changes, so we're working on the java side to make the required changes. It is a bit complicated but we are getting very close to a working patch that should make the printing work smoother than ever.
    Unfortunately I can't provide a solid ETA, but with the current state of the fix I'm hoping it'll be about another week, possibly two, before we can send out a preview build that should fix it.
    I am very sorry for this problem and am taking it extremely seriously."

I'd like to reiterate Sean's comments and apologise again for the inconvenience this has caused. We greatly appreciate your patience while we work to get this fixed.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

26. 116 Posted by rnmcdowell on 04 Jul, 2017 04:06 PM

Ian,

Thanks for the update, but for me too little too late. The lack of
    progress on this issue, and even more so incredibly infrequent
    communication over many months when your customers needed and deserved a
    more reliable system were deeply disappointing. I’ve moved on, as I suspect
    others have. Since I am on a Mac platform, I have moved to Banktivity 6
    and am very pleased with the system and given that experience even if
    Infinite Kind does at some point actually fix this problem, I won’t be
    going back.

Bob

27. 117 Posted by Barbara Shelesk... on 04 Jul, 2017 04:28 PM

I agree with rnmcdowell! Also, what happens when Apple has another update?

Sent from my iPad. Barbara

28. 118 Posted by yardy on 04 Jul, 2017 05:35 PM

Ian, It seems to me that the basic problem here was that IK did not test the beta version of OS X 10.12.4. When I submitted the initial problem report for this blog stream the response you (Ian) gave me was "Oh yes there is a problem - we will work on it” so it was clearly a surprise to you. Second, as has been said by many others the TOTAL lack of communication has been the biggest failing by IK. If many, like rmmcdowell, decide to move on, IK has only itself to blame. I will be sticking with IK for now in the hope that you fix the issue and even more importantly in the HOPE that IK has learned the lesson of testing EVERY beta release of software you rely on and finally that you COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE !!!!!!!

Ray

29. 119 Posted by jonh on 04 Jul, 2017 05:55 PM

Ian O:
    pls pass to Sean.

The thing that bothers me about the IK response is it seems to be directed to faulting MacOS with recent acknowledgements to a change in Java.
    As I have post before, this problem exists in Linux and I have not found any public info about the Linux Kernel and this problem. It seems that you ignore the problem existing in Linux while blaming OSX. Because this seems to be a cross platform problem I gather that there is a bigger problem than you are acknowledging.

30. 120 Posted by sth on 05 Jul, 2017 12:56 PM

Well, I think a problem is that the communication is scattered in so many threads that it doesn't feel like much communication in any one thread. I also missed Sean's note yesterday since I am using this thread and not the other. IK needs to cross post these responses or just have someone reference the correct post in all relevant threads. Yes, this is a pain, but this is the problem with this help system.

This was a big screw up and there is no reason to believe that major changes would occur in a "point release". I can understand IK being caught off guard on this. However Sean's note raises a bunch of questions that I would really like a response on.

1. Is IK "fixing" MD so that the issue is resolved?

2. Is the "fix" a result in modifications to Java itself?

3. Is the problem https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8181571 ? If so it seems that Java developers are not working on it.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac