Problems Printing Checks with latest OSX

yardy

31 Mar, 2017 09:35 PM

I have recently update OSX to verion 10.12.4 and now I can't print checks or even do a "test print" or 'calibrate printer'. I have tried disabling the OSX 'share printer' option and then re enabling it. All was well with OSX 10.12. I am running the latest Moneydance 2017.2 (build 1597).

The only way out of this printer hang is to do a force quit.

I have just updated my Mac to 10.12.5 and this printing issue has not changed - still have to wait 5 minutes for checks to print.

Showing page 5 out of 6. View the first page

1. 121 Posted by John McKernon on 28 Aug, 2017 05:53 PM

I understand that this is a problem between Java and Apple, but it seems to me that in this many months, the Moneydance engineers could have written code to save the data to be printed to a file in the Application Support folder, then created a small native helper app to do the actual printing.

I'm moving on, to Banktivity. I've enjoyed MoneyDance over the years, but in today's world of 24/7, 4 months of not being able to print checks is unacceptable, sorry!

2. 122 Posted by rnmcdowell on 29 Aug, 2017 01:22 PM

John,

I hadn’t seen any additions to this thread for a long time….but apparently
    this issue is still a problem for Moneydance. We’re closing in on a year
    now since they have been aware of this problem and frankly having no
    resolution tells me a lot about Infinite Kind. They could likely have
    rewritten the whole program by now.

Anyway, I’ve very happily migrated to Banktivity 6 which frankly I’m
    finding to be a much better program and certainly a much cleaner Mac
    interface in many respects. The algorithms for transaction matching so far
    have been flawless….not always my experience with MD. All of my
    institutions allow for file transfers that don’t incur any further costs.
    And when I’ve needed support, online chat has responded within literally a
    minute or two, and has always resolved my question. A bit more expensive,
    but more than worth it……and printing works!

Bob

3. 123 Posted by Barbara Shelesk... on 29 Aug, 2017 04:18 PM

I also have migrated to Banktivity 6 and I wish I would have done it sooner.
    Customer service is excellent!
    Sent from my iPad. Barbara

4. 124 Posted by Ian O on 30 Aug, 2017 08:42 AM

Hi All,

I'd like to apologies again for the long wait you have had for a solution to this issue. As previously stated we believe we are closing in on a fix for this but it has regrettably taken much longer than we anticipated. I'd like to assure you all again that we are actively working on a resolution to this issue and still exploring various options, including seeking external expertise which we hope will speed things up considerably. We still consider resolving this issue our top priority and hope to have news of definitive progress in the near future.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 125 Posted by Don Hodapp on 30 Aug, 2017 01:01 PM

Very much too little! Way too late!

Your inability to handle this issue, an issue that’s not affected other software, in a timely manner casts huge doubt on your abilities and seriousness in providing usable financial software.

6. 126 Posted by rnmcdowell on 30 Aug, 2017 01:40 PM

Agree completely Don, and Ian’s most recent email update does nothing to
    inspire confidence and gives no more information than any of the others
    updates. And the admission that they may require outside expertise also
    suggests to me a possibly weak development team which I have suspected all
    along. Well, I’ve long since switched to other software (Banktivity 6)
    that is frankly worlds better, and not just because the print function
    works. And while I’ve contributed to these posts for all these months,
    this will be my last. For those of you who chose to stick it out with
    Moneydance I do hope for a resolution at some point sooner rather than
    later!

Bob

7. 127 Posted by tewible on 30 Aug, 2017 11:33 PM

No content.

8. 128 Posted by bigboy99 on 31 Aug, 2017 11:09 PM

Ian,

I appreciate your response, but the language is nearly identical to that of Sean's 7/4 post. If you haven't already enlisted outside assistance and explored the "various options" you are blowing smoke at us. What is the status of a solution, and specifically, what has and will be done to remedy the issue? We're not without options and are due more respect as paid in full customers.

SC

9. 129 Posted by Rich A. on 06 Sep, 2017 12:46 AM

Hey,
    I have found a tempory solution for slow printing IF you have Parallels or presumably VMware on your Mac. I downloaded the windows version of MD and copied and pasted the product key to the Windows. Then link the Windows app to your mac file. The interface is identical. I had re-enter my credi Jtcard bank passwords but it synched perfectly. You can either just use the windows version for printing or use it all of the time.

10. 130 Posted by jonh on 06 Sep, 2017 01:20 AM

Your VM solution certainly defeats one of the main reasons for owning a Mac. I'd rather start a print job as soon as I start MD, printing will start after 3min and then keep the session open until I don't think I will be printing anymore.

All the talk pointing fingers at Apple but ignoring the same problem existing on Linux is disappointing, to say the least. As suggested by someone else earlier, this seems to be more of a java problem than an OSX problem.

11. 131 Posted by dwg on 06 Sep, 2017 01:29 AM

FWIW I believe that a change Apple made to OSX led to identifying problems with the Mac Java implementation, sure some of the same problems could be in the Linux implementation, but to be fair I've only seen a couple of references to Linux printing problems in the forums so it would seem that not as many Linux users are seeing problems for some reason.

12. 132 Posted by bigboy99 on 06 Sep, 2017 03:19 AM

The issue is IK implementation of Java, not Apple’s.

13. 133 Posted by dwg on 06 Sep, 2017 04:27 AM

bigboy,

At no time did I say that Apple implemented java. I merely said that a change on OSX bought the problem to the fore.

IK do not write or maintain Java. The inherited owned of Java is Oracle as it was original defined by Sun.

Originally Apple maintained Java on the Mac OS as it was Sun's position that they created a reference version which would then be ported by each vendor onto their own platform. Sun picked up doing the Linux port and for some reason also the Windows port.

Apple and Oracle reached an agreement where Java development for OSX would be passed to Oracle in 2010

https://www.cultofmac.com/69512/apple-passes-the-torch-of-os-x-java...

IK merely uses Java as a developer would use any programming language.

14. 134 Posted by bigboy99 on 06 Sep, 2017 10:32 AM

My poor choice of words. As there is virtually zero problems with any other Mac app use of the current version of Java, the issue is with IK's software. Are you new to this issue? It has existed for over one year.

15. 135 Posted by dwg on 06 Sep, 2017 10:59 AM

I do not think it is that clear cut.

Java is supposed to be write once deploy everywhere, so the same source code should compile and run on any platform, so it is expected there is a single code source rather than separate code base for each OS, if it was separate code why bother using Java? It is the cross platform usage that is supposed to be the attraction. So I would expect it to be the same code that is compiled and used under Windows, but yet Windows has no problems with printing, yet it seems every version of MD has problems with Sierra but to a lesser extent on the previous release - although in hindsight one could say the need to network share the printer was a sign of coming problems.

While some speculation usually doesn't hurt what is really need is feedback from support/development as to the current position, I do not think that say a brief weekly update in unreasonable, a support person should get it verbally if they have to from the developers and write it up.

It needs to be realistic too I think IK gets a little over optimistic at times - under promise and over deliver is the way to go.

How about it support?

16. 136 Posted by bigboy99 on 06 Sep, 2017 01:44 PM

Most users don’t care about the backstory, and all of us are incredibly frustrated at the lack of communication from IK. As this is appears to be a "Moneydance only” issue, and has dragged on since the release of 10.12.4 (current version is 10.12.6), I would have expected that a printing issue could have been resolved in this time period. Yet, nothing from IK.

17. 137 Posted by sth on 06 Sep, 2017 04:08 PM

Actually I am not sure you can justify the statement "there is virtually zero problems with any other Mac app use of the current version of Java,". I have listed at least one other java based program that has the identical issue. It was way back in this thread (or the one other long thread on this). It is wonderful to make sweeping authoritative statements, but this one would entail a lot of research to show that there is no other Java app with similar problems.

And I posted a reference to a Java bug report to Oracle that identified the problem. Oracle stated they couldn't reproduce but it was not clear that they had set the permissions correctly. I think the issue is in the way that OS X isolated (containerizes) applications to prevent malware. Sometimes those isolation issues prevent legitimate actions.

It has been a big issue and not resolved for a long time. I am surprised that there has been so little response and progress.

18. 138 Posted by bigboy99 on 06 Sep, 2017 05:28 PM

I only use OSX, and apologize for any misstatement that is affecting other platforms. It in no way excuses the piss poor response by IK.

19. 139 Posted by jonh on 07 Sep, 2017 02:27 AM

dwg: "I've only seen a couple of references to Linux printing problems in the forums so it would seem that not as many Linux users are seeing problems for some reason."

IMO, it is because there are not a lot of Linux users of MD. Of course, how could I really know that is true. The posts you refer to could very well have been my own. I use it because I've used it for years under a different OS. One of the reasons I started using MD at all is because it was cross platform and I knew I was going to eventually move to either Linux or OSX.

My printer is not a local attached printer, it is a network printer. It is possible that under linux a local printer might not have this problem but I am not willing to make the necessary changes just to find out.

I believe MD 2015 build 1362 is the last linux build I used that had no printing problems. I'd have to research that to make sure, suffice to say, that was from Spring of 2016. The version I use now is 2015.8 build 1369 from Fall 2016 and it has the printing problem. The newest versions have not produced any improvements that would entice me to spend the $$$ for an upgrade. A fix to the printing problem PLUS and explanation of exactly what caused it and how it was fixed would prompt me to pay for the newest version.

20. 140 Posted by dwg on 07 Sep, 2017 03:41 AM

It would be interesting to know the distribution across platforms, but impossible to find out given the universal keys and the ability to download any of the kits.

I still use MD2012 for my own data as there has been nothing of interest in any newer version.

21. 141 Posted by jonh on 07 Sep, 2017 05:08 AM

Thus you don't have the printing problem, right?... I lost some functionality with various extensions when I upgraded to build 1369. That was annoying.

I agree new features may not be enticing. I tore my hair out when they changed the directory structure and implemented mobile sync. Now I like it, keeping purchases up-to-date on iPhone and they are right there on my linux desktop. Lots of bells & whistles I don't use. I notice an improvement in budget module but don't use it either.

22. 142 Posted by dwg on 07 Sep, 2017 05:28 AM

My finances are on a Windows Machine , I don't think I have seen any platform specific issues on Windows.

What I need is more capability in the Investment area and there has really been no movement in this space at all.

23. 143 Posted by bigboy99 on 13 Sep, 2017 11:31 PM

It's been two weeks since Ian rephrased Sean's post of 7/4. Considering the incredible length of time since the issue was made known, and the ongoing lack of transparency demonstrated by Infinite Kind, I would be surprised if they ever find a fix. I would like nothing better than to be wrong in my assessment, but without timely updates from IK it's difficult to see that being the case.

24. 144 Posted by GEOFFREY THORNB... on 27 Sep, 2017 12:34 AM

Prints using the latest Apple OS.

Believe it or not!

Geoff.

25. 145 Posted by Don Hodapp on 27 Sep, 2017 12:58 AM

Well, whaddya know! It seems to work just fine. Let’s hope our long nightmare is over.

26. 146 Posted by Robert HOVEY on 27 Sep, 2017 01:21 AM

What number OS is working? Any confirmation from IK?

Bob

Sent from my iPhone
    Bob Hovey
    404-333-1598

27. 147 Posted by dwg on 27 Sep, 2017 01:26 AM

OSX 10.13

See:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/32545-freezes-on-...

one of many posts by IK staff regarding this

28. 148 Posted by jonh on 27 Sep, 2017 01:30 AM

But no comment from IK about Linux. Can't see how a change in Apple's product fixes the very same problem in linux. I didn't see where IK released a fix, only that Apple released a fix.

29. 149 Posted by GEOFFREY THORNB... on 27 Sep, 2017 03:41 AM

It’s macOS High Sierra.

Released on Monday.

30. 150 Posted by mteston1 on 27 Sep, 2017 01:26 PM

Just wanted to confirm that the macOS High Sierra Version 10.13 printed my checks with absolutely no hitches this morning.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac