Bug? in Transaction filter report

al

05 Aug, 2017 10:42 PM

MD 2017.4 (1624)
There seems to be weird behaviour in some of the Money dance built in reports when dealing with sub-categories.
If I run the Transactions filter report and choose a category - transactions in that category display just fine...BUT....transactions in the sub-categories get displayed wrong. Two things happen:
- the amounts get reversed (eg negative $10 becomes positive $10)
- the column displays mess up so that the sub-category shows under ACCOUNT and the account shows under CATEGORY
Its taken me several hours to work out what is happening - but is totally consistent and reproducible.
It use memorised versions of this report for different categories for my tax return checking.....so its thrown that out.
Is this a known issue? Can it be fixed? I can provide screen shots if required.

1. 1 Posted by Henry on 23 Aug, 2017 11:52 AM

Hi Al,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay getting back to you. I’m afraid that your request for assistance was missed by the support team, and it’s only now we’ve been able to work through the backlog of older discussions. I must apologise again for the poor level of service and lack of support you have received. I’d like to provide assistance if you’re still in a position to work through these issues.

Would it be possible for you to try upgrading to the latest preview release of Moneydance from here:

https://infinitekind.com/preview

and see if that fixes the issue that you're seeing?
    There was a similar issue and it was fixed in the preview version.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

2. Henry closed this discussion on 19 Nov, 2017 08:29 PM.

3. al re-opened this discussion on 18 Aug, 2018 07:35 AM

4. 2 Posted by al on 18 Aug, 2018 07:38 AM

Folks
    I just checked in the very latest version (2017.8) and the problem is still there. If I run a transaction filter report AND check that I want to include sub-accounts, the Sub-account values come out as +ve whereas the parent account comes out as -ve !
     Which makes the totals completely wrong! (cos the positive and negative values cancel each other)
    This potentially a very useful report - but this makes it near useless. I have to copy the figures out to excel total them - not good. What am I missing here?

5. 3 Posted by mhoggie on 18 Aug, 2018 05:18 PM

I see the same issue on the Transaction filter report, The category and the account is reversed.

6. 4 Posted by musto102 on 23 Oct, 2018 12:30 PM

Same here - entries from sub accounts are reversed....

Anybody looking into this?

7. 5 Posted by Henry on 23 Oct, 2018 12:54 PM

@musto102 thank you for the screenshot. Would it be possible for you to share your current version and build number of Moneydance?
    To do this, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac) where the version and build number will be displayed.

@al and @mhoggie Do you both also still see the same issue?

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

8. 6 Posted by musto102 on 23 Oct, 2018 03:10 PM

Hi Henry,
    Yes, sorry, should have done that in the first place!

Version 2017.8 (1691)
    and am running OSX 10.13.6

9. 7 Posted by Henry on 25 Oct, 2018 11:43 AM

Thank you!
    I currently cannot reproduce this on the latest version.
    Are all transactions correctly represented in the Account Register?

You can try upgrading to the latest preview release of Moneydance from here:

https://infinitekind.com/preview

as it includes system fixes.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

10. 8 Posted by musto102 on 25 Oct, 2018 03:40 PM

Hi Henry,
    Thanks for the reply.

I can't see where the problem lies with this (and I have also tried the preview release).
    If I run the report on only the sub-category, it correctly shows these all as debit expenses. But if I run the report on the main category and include sub-categories, then these sub items are shown as credits.

The only clue I can offer is that these items are listed with the Category name in the Account field while all the others are bank accounts. See screen shot.

Regards,
    Ralph

11. 9 Posted by mhoggie on 25 Oct, 2018 04:38 PM

just a user,

I think I can reproduce what Ralph is pointing out.
    I am running MD build 1704 on W7 64 and I have attached an example of the issue.
    I have all my credit cards under a "Credit Card" parent category and I ran the "transaction filter" report with the parent category "Credit Card" as the Account/Category filter with "show sub accounts" selected.
    You will notice the "categories" are listed under the "Account" header and the "accounts" are listed under the "Category" header. Also note that the credit card debits are shown as positive amounts. But interestingly the one credit card payment from checking is shown as a positive amount even though the one rebate transaction is show as a negative amount. There are some known issues with the "Transaction Filter" report and I think they may be related to the single search field "Account/Category" I have seen other search discrepancies when leaving the "Account/Category" blank. I think that search field needs to be expanded to have a separate "Account" and "Category" field as used with the "Find and Replace" extension. Although accounts are in one respect a special type of category in MD, you have to acknowledge the difference in the MD reports or things get a bit messy. I think that is the root of the issue.

12. 10 Posted by Henry on 27 Oct, 2018 10:12 AM

@Ralph and @mhoggie Thank you for sharing the screenshots, I have created a report based on the screenshots that I have sent to our developers, I will let you know of the response.

@mhoggie I highlighted your response of the possible root cause in that report.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

13. System closed this discussion on 26 Jan, 2019 10:20 AM.

14. al re-opened this discussion on 30 Jun, 2020 08:42 AM

15. 11 Posted by al on 30 Jun, 2020 08:42 AM

I still have this problem with the transaction report.
    It has now been an issue for over 3 years!
    Basically the transaction report is broken when it uses sub-accounts as this causes the values to be negative and therefore the totals are wrong. I can provide numerous examples.
    This makes a very useful report not very useful.
    Yes I am on the latest version of MD (1915) and it still works the same way.
    Is anyone fixing this?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac