Linux Snap Installation?

Jens

14 Dec, 2018 11:37 AM

I noticed the new previews are in Snaps for Linux now.
Not being familiar (yet) with Snap and curious, I installed snapd on my 64 bit Debian buster system,
downloaded the "2019.0 (1814)" snap file and tried the following:

# snap install moneydance_linux_amd64.snap
error: cannot find signatures with metadata for snap "moneydance_linux_amd64.snap"
# snap install --dangerous moneydance_linux_amd64.snap
2018-12-13T22:27:51-05:00 INFO Waiting for restart...
moneydance 2019.0.0.1814 installed

and then

$ /snap/bin/moneydance
Error: Could not find or load main class com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.Main
What am I missing?

Jens

1. 1 Posted by Jens on 29 Dec, 2018 03:45 AM

Now when trying release 1826:

# snap install --dangerous moneydance_linux_amd64.snap
    error: This revision of snap "moneydance_linux_amd64.snap" was published using classic confinement
           and thus may perform arbitrary system changes outside of the security sandbox that snaps are
           usually confined to, which may put your system at risk.

If you understand and want to proceed repeat the command including --classic.

?

Jens

2. 2 Posted by sth on 29 Dec, 2018 07:58 PM

Yes, it is not sandboxed on linux systems and the software like any free range software can open and close and write files with sensitive data. But you already know that by the --dangerous option. So what is your actual question other than the question mark.

3. 3 Posted by Jens on 30 Dec, 2018 01:39 PM

The --dangerous option refers to missing signatures, not to any sandboxing concerns or system change permissions:

--dangerous
                  Install  the  given  snap file even if there are no pre-acknowledged signatures for
                  it, meaning it was not verified and could be dangerous (--devmode implies this)

Reading up on snap confinement (I am new to snap) makes me wonder if using a snap package for an application like Moneydance is really a good use case (at this point):
    https://docs.snapcraft.io/snap-confinement/6233#classic

Either way, it seems that Moneydance is now available on the beta and edge channels (it wasn't when I first investigated on Dec. 14):

# snap find moneydance
    Name        Version        Publisher     Notes  Summary
    moneydance  2019.0.0.1814  infinitekind  -      Powerful, private, personal finance software
    # snap install moneydance
    error: snap "moneydance" is not available on stable but is available to install on the following
           channels:

beta       snap install --beta moneydance
           edge       snap install --edge moneydance

Please be mindful pre-release channels may include features not completely tested or
           implemented. Get more information with 'snap info moneydance'.
    # snap install --beta moneydance
    moneydance (beta) 2019.0.0.1814 from The Infinite Kind (infinitekind) installed

However, it still does not run:

$ /snap/bin/moneydance
    Error: Could not find or load main class com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.Main
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.Main

This really is just one big question mark; no further documentation from IK on this new snap preview (as far as I can see), it doesn't actually work, and no comments at all from IK support staff on this thread since Dec 14.
    So many questions, so I just posted a "?" earlier.

Jens

4. 4 Posted by sth on 30 Dec, 2018 06:45 PM

Try the just released version 1827. There is a mention of changing the jar files for linux

5. 5 Posted by Jens on 13 Jan, 2019 05:37 PM

There was never any update to the channels.
    With MD 2019 now officially out in .deb format (as well as the preview page offering .deb as well), I'll just close this discussion.
    MD 2019 starts just fine on my box installed via the .deb.

Jens

6. Jens closed this discussion on 13 Jan, 2019 05:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

25 Jun, 2019 11:55 AM
25 Jun, 2019 10:51 AM
25 Jun, 2019 09:41 AM