Autocompleting transactions based on previously-entered descriptions where one description is a prefix of another

Robert R Tupelo-Schneck

12 Dec, 2009 03:50 AM

Hi guys. So, Moneydance does this nice thing for me, where if I've already got a transaction with, say, "Dominion Bill" in it, I can start a new transaction and type in "Dom" and it offers me "Dominion Bill" and I can press tab and get the same category and amount as the last Dominion Bill entry. Great!

But, if I've also got transactions with description just "Dominion", it will still offer "Dominion Bill" (at least sometimes) and even if I just type "Dominion", press delete to clear out the autocomplete, and press tab, it doesn't give me the same category and amount as last time, instead I'm stuck on the depressing default Bank Charge. Sigh.

Of course there's a trivial workaround (call them "Dominion Bill" and "Dominion Pay" instead of "Dominion Bill" and "Dominion"), but surely there's some way to make this work better?

1. 1 Posted by jerry_k_wagner on 26 Dec, 2009 06:03 PM

I'm having the same issue.

Another workaround is clicking the arrows at the right of the category field, then scrolling to the correct category.

But I agree, this is very annoying.

2. 2 Posted by ljb on 26 Dec, 2009 09:44 PM

It seems like the category and amount are filled in after you tab off the auto-completed description. So you could try: type the beginning of the description, Tab, Shift+Tab to go back, and edit the description.

3. 3 Posted by jerry_k_wagner on 26 Dec, 2009 11:42 PM

@ljb: Thanks for the suggestion.
    I can Shift+Tab to go back and edit the Category, but when I tab to a new field, or hit Enter to record the transaction, it puts the name of the longer "category" in. (It's actually an account name it wants to put in -- "Education IRA" -- and the real expense category I want it to use is "Education.")

4. 4 Posted by ljb on 27 Dec, 2009 01:17 AM

Are you talking about category or description? I was talking about typing into the description. After you tab off description, the category field and amount are filled in with the category and amount of the auto-matched transaction. Then you back up and edit the description, and the category and amount remain. So you get a new transaction with the same category (and amount, unless you edit it), but a different description. I thought that is what you were trying to do.

5. 5 Posted by jerry_k_wagner on 27 Dec, 2009 03:13 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the Category, not the Description. I saw the posting about the description, and added my $0.02 to it. Similar problem, but not the same. The initial posting was about the description.

I should have made the distinction more clearly in my initial posting. (Been staring at this stuff for 3 days -- switching from old Quicken to MD...)

6. Jon Hoover closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2010 07:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac