iex trading not working

Dan Hanger

18 Jun, 2019 12:05 PM

I've been using the IEX option in stock downloads for several months without any problems. Now I haven't gotten any stock updates since the 13th.

MD2019 (1855)

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 18 Jun, 2019 12:35 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Provide say three ticker symbols along with there names and I will test.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by Dan Hanger on 18 Jun, 2019 01:01 PM

AGG
    EMB
    SPLB

I don't think it's an individual ticker problem, I have over 30 tickers and not one of them is updating as of the 13th.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 18 Jun, 2019 03:27 PM

Moneydance 2019.3(1880) Quote and Exchange Rate Updater build v1024

IEX is not returning any data from your three sample securities. Looks like a IEX problem.

Alpha Vantage does, but as I don’t use this extension, I had forgotten how painfully slow it is.

Also tested with the extension I use, the free third-party Quote Loader and that return prices as you can see from the screen shot.

If you want to try out Quote loader see post 158 at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quo...
    download the PDF, have a read.

Also use the link on page 1 of the PDF to a YouTube video to get a overview of the Quote Loader.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by Dan Hanger on 18 Jun, 2019 04:02 PM

I'm a little baffled by this issue. If it truly is an issue with IEX I would have expected to see a flurry of people posting about it, but that hasn't been the case. I have the same problem on two separate computers in two separate locations, and now you have confirmed it's a problem as well.

Before IK brought on the IEX platform I was using the third party Quote Loader as a workaround when Yahoo stopped working. It works fine, but I was really happy when I discovered the IEX platform added to the downloader extension in MD as there are no extra steps like the third party solution. It worked all along from the beginning for me as all my trades are on American stock exchanges. I sure hope this doesn't mean a new downloader problem.

Thanks, I do hope to hear from IK support on this issue if it doesn't clear up soon.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 18 Jun, 2019 04:36 PM

Hi Dan

When you talk about Quote Loader having extra steps that no longer the case. The earlier releases yes, but not now. Once setup just click Get Prices, then select prices to be saved, then Save Prices, 3 clicks, that it, simple. Prices have been entered into the security history price windows.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by Dan Hanger on 18 Jun, 2019 04:40 PM

That's good to know. I would prefer that the IEX issue gets resolved, but if it doesn't I'll have to look into that again.

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 18 Jun, 2019 04:49 PM

Hi Dan

Take a look at the YouTube video.
    Link on first page 1 of PDF.

Have Fun

8. 8 Posted by Dan Hanger on 19 Jun, 2019 12:42 PM

IEX seemed to be working again as of last night, but it seems that the prices are not exactly in line with what they should be. Unreliable at this point, so I decided to give the third party quotes loader you suggested again. It is much nicer and easier than it was, especially with the automatic update switch.

One thing I don't like is that it loads the prices into MD with 6 decimal places, and I can't find any way to control that. There is a decimal selection in the interface but it doesn't go less than 4, and yet it's loading 6 places. I personally have no need to see more than 2 and I think it looks 'untidy' in MD. Is there a way to control this behavior?

9. 9 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Jun, 2019 01:51 PM

Hi Dan

Your correct, the minimum decimal place selection in Quote Loader is 4. I rerun the 3 example securities you provided and Quote Loader display returned prices to 4 decimal places not 6, with the last two places being “00” as my screen shot in post 3.

Can you provide screen shots of were your see 6 decimal places in the Quote Loader window, plus where you are seeing 6 decimal places in Moneydance itself? The areas in Moneydance I have looked at seem to suppress the trailing zeros.

10. 10 Posted by Dan Hanger on 19 Jun, 2019 02:30 PM

Here are three screenshots of AGG for example.
    #1 shows the result in Quote Loader--decimal digits is set to 4 and the New Price is 4 digits with the last two on all results 00. #2 is from the portfolio window in MD with 6 digits and no 0's. #3 is from the history window of AGG. Current price is the one shown in portfolio view, while the price in the date row shows even more digits (8).

I don't know where this is being controlled, whether in Quote Loader or MD, but there doesn't seem to be any user control over it.

11. 11 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Jun, 2019 03:41 PM

Hi Dan

Thanks for the screen shots.
    I appears that Quote Loader is returning as set up only 4 decimal places, but the value in Moneydance is a non-rounder value. It as if there is a rounding error in Moneydance. 110.48 is being turned into 110.839996. I can’t duplicate this, what build of 2019 are you running. e.g. I am running 2019.3(1880).

12. 12 Posted by Dan Hanger on 19 Jun, 2019 03:56 PM

2019.1 (1855)

Maybe an update is in order?

13. 13 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Jun, 2019 04:03 PM

Hi Dan

Worth a try, think there maybe something else going on, in any event lots of other things have been fixed.
    Download from https://infinitekind.com/preview

Let me know what you find next time you use Quote Loader.

Hope this helps

14. 14 Posted by Mike Bray on 19 Jun, 2019 04:13 PM

Hi Dan
    The issue here is MD. The actual prices are not stored in the format received. For example a price of £35.52 is stored within MD as 0.028153153153153148 which is 1/35.52. When it is converted back you get the slight difference in the last decimal digits.

I'm afraid this is out of my control.

I will look at adding 2 and 3 to the number of digits and displaying the actual amount received though I am not sure how I can do this. I have no control over the display within MD.

The reason QL has up to 8 decimal places is for Crypto currencies where the price is very small.

If you wish to see the data you could install my FileDisplay extension and select Securities. Once you have Generated the data you will be able to see the individual price entries.

Mike

15. 15 Posted by Dan Hanger on 19 Jun, 2019 05:13 PM

Thanks, Mike. It's odd that Derek is not having the same issue, though. I just updated MD to the latest preview and it doesn't make any difference.

One thing I noticed, it also depends on whether I select Yahoo or Yahoo HD in QL. Yahoo HD is what I was using at first (the earlier screenshots are from that). When I use Yahoo HD it returns all prices at 4 decimals but they all have the last two digits as 0, but then transfers the unrounded values to MD. If I use Yahoo only, QL returns 4 digits but not all have the last two as 0's. Then when I load those into MD it truncates any trailing 0's (see screenshot here). Strangely inconsistent.

16. 16 Posted by Jamie on 19 Jun, 2019 08:11 PM

Agree that IEX no longer works. Started recently for me as well.

17. 17 Posted by Dan Hanger on 20 Jun, 2019 12:16 PM

Yesterday I set QL to automatically download and when I started MD this morning it downloaded seamlessly and this time all the dollar values were truncated to 2 decimal, unless there were any trailing zeros in which case those were truncated as well. Everything works just the way I'd like it to. Thanks to all involved in QL.

@Jamie, I don't know if I'd hold my breath to wait for IEX to get back to normal. There's a little bit of footwork getting QL set up but once it's done it works well.

18. 18 Posted by R. Schmid on 22 Jun, 2019 03:29 AM

I am having the same problem.

19. 19 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 Jun, 2019 09:48 AM

Hi rschmid can you explain further what your issue is?

20. 20 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 Jun, 2019 12:47 PM

Hi Dan

Mike has done some great work to negate rounding errors due to the way Moneydance stores values. Quote Load updated to build 3014.

Existing users click EXTENSIONS – MD EXTENSION INSTALLER and in Quote Loader section “Update”

Hope this helps

21. 21 Posted by ol on 22 Jun, 2019 08:58 PM

Same issue with IEX. Glad to know I'm not alone. MD please to fix.

22. 22 Posted by dwg on 22 Jun, 2019 09:08 PM

I'm a fellow user.

MD cannot fix IEX or any other third party (like FT or Yahoo) not having up to date data. Moneydance via its own extension or via user extensions like the Quote Loader can only use whatever data is provided by these services.

23. 23 Posted by R. Schmid on 23 Jun, 2019 10:50 PM

Derek,

I can't give you much info. All I can tell you is that I have gotten no price updates for my securities since I upgraded a few days ago. Currency exchange rates are updating but not securities.

24. 24 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 Jun, 2019 07:18 AM

Hi rschmid

You could post say three ticker symbols along with there names and I will test.

25. 25 Posted by R. Schmid on 24 Jun, 2019 02:29 PM

26. 26 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 Jun, 2019 04:54 PM

Tested using Moneydance 2019.3(1881).

Quotes & Exchange Rates Updater (build v1024) does not return any prices when the source is IEX. Alpha Vantage returns prices but is very, very slow.

I tested you three tickers using the free third-party Quote Loader and all three returned prices. See screen shot.
    If you want to try the free third-party Quote Loader see

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quo...

download the attached PDF to post 178

To get a overview of Quote Loader take a look at the YouTube video using link on page 1 of the PDF.

Hope this helps.

27. 27 Posted by Manu on 25 Jun, 2019 05:39 AM

I have searched the site for problems with downloading quotes. It seems to be a persistent problem, with IEX working periodically. Sometimes it works, and now with the most recent update (2019.3 1880) it seems to have stopped working. We should not even mention alphavantage that is painfully slow.

What I am surprised by is that the same person seems to be posting to use Quote Loader as a solution. If it were Moneydance approved extension why is it not preloaded under approved extensions? I am just a bit concerned about using an external 3rd party extension that is not Moneydance approved. I am also surprised that no one officially from Moneydance is providing feedback on whether they approve Quote Loader or not. Moneydance should have some more say in that people's financial information is stored in Moneydance, and I have a lot of confidential info on the program. Should we just install 3rd party extensions and Moneydance has no comments on it?

28. 28 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Jun, 2019 07:15 AM

Hi Mamu

Moneydance third-party extension are almost always written by other Moneydance users, usually initially for their own use, then to share with others.
    Moneydance actively encourages third-party extensions, note the option ADD FROM FILE under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSIONS. There are a number of third-party extension available.

As for Quote Loader see the two main threads to see comments from other users.

2017 see https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/3771-thi...

2019 see https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quo...

However, if you are unhappy about using third-party extensions then simply don’t.

Hope this helps.

29. 29 Posted by Manu on 25 Jun, 2019 10:26 PM

I appreciate that as a 3rd party extension you have put in time and effort to develop an extension, and you are making users aware of the availability of extension. My point is not about whether the extension works, and whether Moneydance offers an option to install 3rd party extensions.

It seems a bit out of the ordinary that on all the forums about problems with quotes download extension, you guys are essentially "advertising" Quote Loader. The product could be a great extension but shouldn't people also be aware that it is not "officially" Moneydance approved and integrated under available extensions.

You are probably solving a great pain point for many people, and it would also be great if you could get the extension Moneydance approved so we can all be more comfortable using it.

Thanks

30. 30 Posted by R. Schmid on 11 Jul, 2019 04:41 AM

I've started digging into the extension itself. Since it is open source, there is ample opportunity for us to fix it. More info here - https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/55088-stock-price-updater-problems-info

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac