Batch change does not work

david.reitter

24 Dec, 2019 08:07 PM

I have a whole bunch of miscategorized BuyXfr and SellXfr transactions, and Batch Change is unfortunately not effective.
I select Batch Change -> Category, then "Investment (Expense)" or "Investment:Trading Commission". It doesn't do anything.

The same batch change works for other transactions that are of type "Xfr".

No relevant Console output is generated by the process.

Moneydance 1896 on a Mac. Thanks for fixing.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 24 Dec, 2019 08:38 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Investment accounts are somewhat different to all other account types in Moneydance, they work in an entirely different way.

In my experience for Investment Accounts, Batch Change --> Category impacts the 'Transfer' field not the category field.

I suspect there are a couple of factors at work here, firstly 'Category' is used for both what are definition of Income or expense and secondly it can also be used to give a transfer account. This is seen in QIF files where the same field descripter is used and also in all the other register types where the one field is used for both purposes, only in Investment accounts are there two fields.

Also Investment accounts make use of combination transactions i.e. there are two transactions shown as one, which I think may confuse things.

I do not think that Batch Change has the smarts to deal with some of the unique features of the Investment register.

2. 2 Posted by david.reitter on 20 Jan, 2020 04:55 PM

It would be good to fix this :)

3. 3 Posted by sth on 20 Jan, 2020 09:16 PM

I think the category is the category to assign any seller or buyer fees to. If there is no fee then that item is greyed out and unused. There is no batch change for transfer destinations. I guess this is a feature request.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 21 Jan, 2020 11:41 AM

Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion for improving Moneydance! I've filed a ticket in our ticketing system with your suggestion, so the developers will be looking into it.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac