Checking account balance is consistently too high, typically by $20 to 30 thousand

moneydance

15 Jan, 2020 05:05 AM

This problem has vexed me for a couple of years. I tried to minimize by a fictitious charge, but soon the inflation resumed. Today I compared the final balances of Chase Bank and MD for every month of 2019. The data are shown in the attached file Balances 2019 Chase vs MD.xlsx . I left the file open and moved the mouse to another page in the workbook when I come back, the differences Chase-MD had grown further, most of the MD totals now were in the 6 figures rather than 5. Later they fell back to the values in the table, though I had done nothing as drastic as a restart.

Other than this madnesss, MD works dependably.My current datafile is too big to sed to you, 11MB

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 15 Jan, 2020 01:17 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Which version and build of Moneydance are you using?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac) where the version and build number will be displayed.

Can you let me know which operating system you're running on your computer/s?

Do you have syncing enabled, (via File --> Syncing), and do you share your data file with another computer or a mobile device?

Would it be possible to see a screenshot of the issue?

Also, when you navigate to File/ Moneydance, on Mac - >Preferences – >General tab.
    what type of Balance did you select?
    Please find each Balance type below:

Balance - The total of all your transactions in an account register, regardless of date or cleared/uncleared status.

Current Balance - The total of all your transactions up to and including today's date.

Cleared Balance - The total of all transactions you have marked as "cleared.”

Finally, can you check you're running the latest version of the Quotes and Exchange Rates extension? To do this, choose Extensions --> Manage Extensions. The latest version of the extension is v.1024. You should see an 'Update' button if you're using an older version, or remove the extension and re-install.

To update currency rates, you can use AlphaVantage or European Central Bank.

Thank you

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by moneydance on 16 Jan, 2020 11:23 PM

2019.3 (1881)
    Mac Mojave 10.13.6
    Dropbox Folder. No other computer,
    Attached
    Current Balance
    Alphavantage
    I recommend you look at my private post from 5 August 2017 and the attempts of your former colleague to solve the problem
    I used a Mac Mini 2009 at that time but in December I replaced it with an iMac 2017. The problem came back. I have also sent you my current data file, which was nor rejected although it is slightly over your size limit of 10 MB

3. 3 Posted by moneydance on 17 Jan, 2020 06:06 PM

Hi Maddy,
    Tax season has started in the US and I must soon find an accountant before they are all booked. (At 93 I am getting too old to do my taxes myself, especially we now have a new tax law spawned by the Unmentionable). My data file is big, and in 2017 the fix took more than 1.5 on the Team Viewer. Also, I am concerned that I never received your e-mail from 15 or 16 January. Make sure my domain name is spelled @anders2.com, I sw one yesterday that omitted the s.
    Best,
    Edward

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 20 Jan, 2020 09:32 AM

Thank you for the additional information, Edward!

I’m sorry to keep you waiting, but I’d like to run your query past the development team who may be able to provide further information.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by moneydance on 31 Jan, 2020 03:12 AM

Hi Maddy,
    16 days have passed since I reported my problem, 15 days since you replied asking for data, 14 since I supplied the data, and 11 since you passed the problem to the development team. Since then, not a peep from you or the development. My accountant is waiting. I have been using Moneydance since 2004 and have never experienced such a wait. Please get help from your high-powered team of colleagues. For historic interest I am teaching my first bug report of 9 Jan 2005, to Sean Reilly

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac