Overwriting Reminders on Synced Computers

kevinciotta

20 Jan, 2020 06:42 PM

We just updated to MD 2019.3 (1880). MD has been/is still synced between 2 Macs using Dropbox Folder method. In MD 2017, Reminders created a problem in that – if Reminders committed from Mac 1 – and if any changes were made to those Reminders (date, amount, cleared status, etc.) - when Mac 2 opened MD and its (same) Reminders auto committed, they would overwrite the "updated" Reminders already in the register. The solution was to turn off auto commit on Mac 2, fixing the problem but meaning Mac 1 always had to be used to commit Reminders. However, I just found this post from Dec 20, 2018 from another user about delayed auto committing on synced machines in MD 2019:

The following rev notes are included for 2019 beta (1824)
- Delay auto-committing of reminders until after the first sync pass is complete - Added preference setting for whether auto-committing reminders should be processed for the current file on the current compute

I can't find any additional info and don't understand this post whether it pertains to the problem outlined above. Can anyone provide additional insight or a link to more info? Ideally, we would turn auto committing on for both synced Macs. Then, whichever Mac opened MD on the Reminder date would auto commit the transaction to the register, and – when the MD file is open on the second Mac, MD would be smart enough to realize the Reminder was already posted and not overwrite it.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 20 Jan, 2020 07:01 PM

Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

There's a new option in Moneydance 2019.3 which allows you to enable or disable auto-committing of reminder transactions on specific computers. We added this option because when you're data is synced automatically it's possible for the reminders to be auto-committed on multiple computers nearly simultaneously (or at least while one or all are offline), resulting in duplicates of the resulting transactions.

Could you check and see if this option is enabled on your computers (as outlined in the article below)? I'd recommend only enabling this option on one of your computers

If the Auto-Commit box is not checked when you create your Transaction Reminder, the transaction will not be applied to your register until/unless you manually apply the reminder, as outlined here

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by kevinciotta on 20 Jan, 2020 09:48 PM

Thanks for the quick response, Maddy! Right now, we have Auto-Commit enabled for one computer and not enabled for the other computer (as you suggest). This address the issue.

I was hoping MD 2019 would keep Reminders in sync so that – if Auto-Commit was enabled on both machines, whichever computer loaded MD first would Auto-Commit that day's Reminders – then the second machine to load MD would detect this and not Auto-Commit again (possibly creating dups or writing over Reminders possibly changed) from the first computer.

We'll stick with one computer with Auto-Commit enabled and one not. However, I would like to suggested an enhancement where both computers could have Auto-Commit enabled as outlined in the above paragraph.

Thanks again.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 21 Jan, 2020 09:49 AM

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for the suggestion for improving Moneydance! I've filed a ticket in our ticketing system with your suggestion, so the developers will be looking into it.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Feb, 2020 05:15 PM
17 Feb, 2020 05:04 PM
17 Feb, 2020 04:21 PM