Data is missing

Suzanne Heatherington

20 Jan, 2020 10:06 PM

My data is missing from June 2017 on. I had data from then to Dec. 31, 2019 in one account and about the same from another account. Where did it go and how do I get it back? I'm treasurer for a club and have lost all data from 2017, so I'm extremely concerned.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 21 Jan, 2020 01:52 AM

Hello,

Moneydance wouldn't just remove that much data, so let's assume it's still there somewhere. A few things to check:

Are you working with multiple data files? If you go to File -> Open from the menu bar, do you see other data files listed? If so, when you click on them, does one of them contain your complete data?

Do you have any of the transaction filter buttons at the top of your register enabled? If so, try making sure the "All" button is selected. Some of the other options can filter out more recent transactions from the active view.

If neither of those help, can you please clarify the exact version of Moneydance you are using? Go to Help -> Console Window from the menu bar, look at the first line of the output. Also, do you have any syncing mechanisms set up to share your data file between multiple computers?

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Suzanne Heather... on 21 Jan, 2020 02:01 AM

Ethan, you ROCK! I did your first suggestion, went to File -> Open, chose one of the options (there were more than 2; weird) and when that opened it was current, with all data present.

Thank you very, very much for your prompt reply — you’ve saved me from a HUGE embarrassment.

sh

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 21 Jan, 2020 02:19 AM

That's great to hear!

All of the files listed in File -> Open are likely in your default save location, which you can quickly open by going to Help -> Show Documents Folder from the menu bar. If there are other files in there besides your main data file that you no longer need, you can remove them from that folder, and then they shouldn't appear in File -> Open the next time you run the program. That should eliminate the chance of you or Moneydance opening them by accident. I'd recommend moving them into a folder somewhere else on your computer rather than deleting them, at least for a while. That way, if you accidentally move the wrong one, or for some reason it turns out that you need one of those, they will still be somewhere, just out of the way.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

4. Ethan closed this discussion on 21 Jan, 2020 02:19 AM.

5. Suzanne Heatherington re-opened this discussion on 21 Jan, 2020 07:18 PM

6. 4 Posted by Suzanne Heather... on 21 Jan, 2020 07:18 PM

Now that I have all 2019 data present, I’ve got another problem. This checking account, which I began in March of 2015, somehow isn’t transferring the opening balance to the INCOME/EXPENSES/detailed printout. If I ask for 01/01/2015-12/31/2019, the printout begins with the first transaction recorded, but no opening balance. This is true of the quarterly reports from 2019, monthly, etc. No opening balances.

What this means to me is that, when I start to catch up with the arithmetic (from November 1) I cannot confirm that with the Moneydance figures.

Have you ever heard of this??

7. 5 Posted by dwg on 21 Jan, 2020 09:24 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I'm sorry but I'm not with you. Any Moneydance income and expense report will never have an opening balance. Is there a specific report you are looking at? Perhaps a screen shot for what you are referring to would help.

8. 6 Posted by Suzanne Heather... on 21 Jan, 2020 09:30 PM

Thank you for your reply!

I guess I wasn’t clear, sorry. Will try to be more specific.

In a YTD printout, the first transaction in January is say, on the 3rd, for $150.00. If the balance forward is $1,000.00, then the $150 is subtracted from the thousand.

In my report, however, the first amount shown is the $150 payment. So at the end of the YTD figures, the ending balance is the difference between money in and money out from the $150. No comparison possible between the balance ON January 1 and that of December 31 is possible.

Hope I’ve made it clearer and haven’t just muddied the waters!

9. 7 Posted by dwg on 21 Jan, 2020 09:44 PM

I'm still not sure exactly what you are looking at, but have a look at the Transactions report, set the parameters to the account and time frame you want and see if it gives you what you are looking for, it should be in the list of available reports in the side bar.

10. 8 Posted by Suzanne Heather... on 21 Jan, 2020 09:46 PM

Thank you very much, dwg. I’ll try that as soon as I can, and will report back to you.

sh

11. 9 Posted by Suzanne Heather... on 21 Jan, 2020 10:51 PM

Gotcha. It’s been a while since I’ve done end-of-year reports, and I was misunderstanding the format.

You’ve been very patient and helpful, and I’m grateful. Thank you.

sh

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac