Income and Expenses

Martin

21 Jan, 2020 04:25 PM

At the suggestion of someone else on this forum, I entered the brought forward investments into MoneyDance by using the Action "BuyXfr" because there was no associated cash movement. However, whilst this has worked for the investment account to show it correctly, it means that the opening entry on the account is showing up as a negative expense in the period on the income and expenses report. Clearly this is nonsense. Any idea how to rectify this?

I have to say as an ex Microsoft Money user who was forced to switch to something else, MoneyDance really does not come close to how well it used to function.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 21 Jan, 2020 09:19 PM

I'm a fellow user.

One of the least intrusive methods of adding in initial holdings is to perform one or more Buy transactions for them (one if you are doing a bulk amount or multiple if you want or require the lot information).

This will give you a negative cash amount as expected, then with the register open, select the menu item: Account --> Edit Account and in the initial balance field put in the total amount of the transactions. This will take you back to a zero cash balance in the account.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac