Lost Moneydance

Michael Clampitt

24 Jan, 2020 04:18 PM

At first Moneydance wouldn't open on my Mac. I then upgraded to Catalina which is a 64 bit system. Is there anyway to get my current Moneydance information back? The only backups I find are dated to Feb. 2019 but nothing more current. Thanks, Mike 806 543-6170

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 24 Jan, 2020 04:29 PM

Hi Michael,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

According to our records your license is for Moneydance 2012 and unfortunately older versions of Moneydance may not be compatible with your new operating system, Catalina.

We recommend running Moneydance 2019.3 (1880) on Catalina. This is available for download at this page.

You can test it on a trial basis, if you wish.

However, if you'd like to upgrade to Moneydance 2019, you can enter your license key into the 'Upgrading?' box on this page to redeem a 50% discount. After purchasing, you'll be sent a new license key via email.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Michael Clampit... on 24 Jan, 2020 04:43 PM

If I get the new program is there any way to transfer my old information into it? Thanks, Mike

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 24 Jan, 2020 04:55 PM

Since your data file was created using Moneydance 2012, it should have a file extension:

FileName.moneydance. This format can be opened using File —> Open —> Open Other (‘Open Other’ from the Welcome window) in Moneydance 2019.

If it is a backup file with this extension: FileName.md-Date , amend the file name to ‘FileName.md’ then open it with Moneydance 2019, using File —> Import.
    (‘Import New Account Set’ from the Welcome window)

Please keep us posted on your progress, Thank you!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Michael Clampit... on 24 Jan, 2020 05:23 PM

The trial version opens with transactions to Feb. 23, 2019 but nothing later. There is no backup showing under Open-Other that is anything like that. The other backups coming up all stop at the Feb. 23rd 2019 date.
    The only thing I see to do is just lose my 2019 information and start again. My accounts at least all show up. There just no current.

5. 5 Posted by Michael Clampit... on 24 Jan, 2020 06:39 PM

How can I find my original license key or can you locate it?

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Jan, 2020 08:15 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Michael

Enter the email address you used to purchase Moneydance in the Lost Key box at https://infinitekind.com/purchase

Hope this helps.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 25 Jan, 2020 08:51 AM

The file that Moneydance 2012 stores its data in, is called root.mdinternal If you can find any files of this name on your computer it indicates that there is a Moneydance data set there, note that this file itself is not able to be opened directly it does need to be in a specific structure but its presence is a pointer.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac