Security prices don't update

David Greene

29 Jan, 2020 01:20 AM

Investment market values will not update. Extensions not working. I am on latest version of moneydance.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 29 Jan, 2020 08:47 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi David

Can you post some say 4 examples of your security ticker along with the security name and i will check if they are working.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by David Greene on 29 Jan, 2020 04:16 PM

I give up. None of them update Example would be CWB showing as 52.28 trading as 57.58. I think I will just go back to using moneydance as checkbook and use Personal Capital for most of my analysis needs. Not sure why they don't support their product better than this. I hate having to do everything in the cloud.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 29 Jan, 2020 05:16 PM

Hi David

There are two methods within Moneydance for obtaining security prices automatically.
    The extension “Quote and Exchange Rate Updater found under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSIONS. Check you are running the latest build v1024. For exchange rates use the source European Central Bank. Alpha Vantage covers the US as well as some securities outside the US, but is very, very slow. It’s my understanding that the source IEX Trading no longer works.

I tested your example securities CWB (SPDR Bloomberg Barclays Convertible Securities ETF) and at time of test returns a current price of 57.57. If this is not your security give the name you have for the security so I can see if I can find the correct ticker symbol.

If the Quote and exchange rate updater does not work well for you try the free third-party Quote Loader. Both of the sources in the Quote Loader have good coverage of worldwide securities and one support your security. see screen shot.
    See post 205 at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quo...

Download the PDF attached to posts 205 and have a read. To get an overview take a look at the YouTube video by using the link on page 1 of the PDF.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by David Greene on 29 Jan, 2020 05:49 PM

I tried the quote load but getting error message:

[cid:ba691098-6c1f-40ac-a250-38024e533a94]

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 29 Jan, 2020 07:10 PM

Hi David

I assume you are running Moneydance 2019?

Did you follow the install instructions to first install MB Extension Installer as outlined on page 3 of the PDF?

Page 3 goes onto explain how from there how install Quote Loader.

Once installed, in the Quote Loader section MB Extension Installer should look like the screen shot, showing that rhumba has also installed. At this point re-start Moneydance.

Follow the PDF.

You can also view the YouTube video that will show you how to install, use the link on page 1 of the PDF.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 29 Jan, 2020 07:16 PM

Hi David

Once correctly installed Quote Loader should look like the screen shot.

Hope this helps

7. 7 Posted by David Greene on 30 Jan, 2020 12:07 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have it working. Doesn't know how to handle bonds but MD doesn't either. lol. This works, though not as automatic as I would have hoped for $49.95. If not for your help, would have just given up. Thanks again!!

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Jan, 2020 08:45 AM

Hi David

Glad I was able to help.
    Any questions just post.

Have Fun.

9. Maddy closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2020 10:34 AM.

10. David Greene re-opened this discussion on 30 Jan, 2020 11:21 PM

11. 9 Posted by David Greene on 30 Jan, 2020 11:21 PM

One more question. With respect to bond prices, that one does NOT LOAD, is there a way to manually enter the new price in, if one selects 'do not load'. I could not get it to work, I had to go bond by bond in MD and adjust the history. See the two municipal bonds below. Would be nice if I could just drop in today's value, then save to quote load program. Any ideas appreciated.

[cid:1d0bf7b4-1a3c-49bf-975b-1c4238a89b98]

12. 10 Posted by dwg on 30 Jan, 2020 11:37 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Try manually entering your price into the New Price field. The last price field is the last price that is stored in Moneydance already.

13. 11 Posted by David Greene on 30 Jan, 2020 11:39 PM

Tried that. Would not take it, both with 'do not load' or 'yahoo' entered. If I could enter it manually, that would be a nice convenience. Would save a lot of time. Just cannot make it work.

14. 12 Posted by dwg on 31 Jan, 2020 12:11 AM

I cannot replicate your problem.

I run the Quote Loader, double click on one of the fields in New price, change the price then select the security, save it and I see the new price saved in Moneydance.

15. 13 Posted by David Greene on 31 Jan, 2020 12:59 AM

My bad. I was entering in wrong field. Embarassed but relieved this works.

16. 14 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Jan, 2020 09:13 AM

Hi David

Glad you got it to work.
    Just to add if so required you can also edit the Trade Date field.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac