Database size nearly halved ?

misc

27 Dec, 2009 08:16 AM

My database, which I use individually on one Windows and one Linux PC, has apparently nearly halved in size from 720k down to 450k and yet I can't detect anything missing from my accounts or transactions.

Although everything appears to be working OK, it would be comforting to have a logical explanation. The Windows is using 723 and the Linux 731

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 27 Dec, 2009 03:52 PM

Hi

We have implemented a new file format for MD2010 one of the big changes is the way dates are encoded in the file. I can verify that MD2010 produces quite significantly different file sizes when compared to M2008.

Another reason why a file size might change is if you recently performed a File->Archive operation and you unchecked the option to keep old transactions.

Unless you actually notice a difference in account balances I don't think there is anything that warrants concern.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by misc on 27 Dec, 2009 04:01 PM

Thanks Ben

I'm using 2010 on both now.

What actually happens, after a bit more checking, is if I use a 730Kb database from the Linux PC on the Windows one, after opening and closing the file it shrinks to 450KB.
    However, as you suggest, nothing untoward appears to have happened to the balances so I'll forget about it.

Andy

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac