Trial Version didn't save data

Upset

28 Dec, 2009 01:02 AM

This is frustrating. I just spent a few hours learning and entering data into the trial version only for it to freeze up when I WENT TO SAVE THE FILES AND CLOSE FOR THE EVENING.
What's wrong with the program. I see lots of concerns about the program not working properly.

1. 1 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 28 Dec, 2009 02:24 PM

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. What version of Moneydance are you using? You can find out your version by going to the Help Menu and choosing the About Moneydance option. If you are not using the most recent version (2010 build 735), please update to that version. You can download the update [here]http://moneydance.com/other). This update has resolved a few key issues our users have been experiencing, including the issue with saving that you are describing. Please let me know if your issue persists and we will look into other solutions.

I apologize again for this issue, please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thank you for your interest in Moneydance.

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by Pamela Zastrow on 28 Dec, 2009 02:50 PM

I just downloaded it two days ago.

Pamela Zastrow | President
    760 Lakeside Drive Unit D | Gurnee, IL | 60031
    P: [847]249-4939 | C: [847]323-6978 | F: [847]623-0779
    www.sms-popdisplays.com
    Success is not an accident.

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 28 Dec, 2009 03:01 PM

Hi Pamela

We released the new version that resolves this issue today. Please install the new version. It resolves this issue.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

4. 4 Posted by Pamela Zastrow on 28 Dec, 2009 03:45 PM

thanks

Again I spent 2 plus hours inputting data. It's upsetting.

Pamela Zastrow | President
    760 Lakeside Drive Unit D | Gurnee, IL | 60031
    P: [847]249-4939 | C: [847]323-6978 | F: [847]623-0779
    www.sms-popdisplays.com
    Success is not an accident.

On Dec 28, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Ben Spencer wrote:

5. 5 Posted by Anne Hodges on 20 Jan, 2010 07:06 PM

I am using Moneydance 2010r2 (735) - trial version.

I spent all day yesterday transferring files from my old computer - no problem - but when I came to open them up this morning - all gone. The only reference I can find to saving work is concerning the preferences file - which I have now ticked to 'save on every quit'. Previously I had been using the file - save - option - obviously useless.

Today I started with a blank screen and created new files in Moneydance, then imported the files from my other laptop using the instructions you gave me. No problem. But each new one I added altered the balance on the others in some way. And I noticed also tha each file I imported also added in files that I am no longer using in MS Money because they are obselete - but still there. I did not import them myself. They just appeared.

I then started again and created all new files (deleted the others). I thought that I would import all my current files, then delete the ones I no longer use that Moneydance had added of it's own volition. This meant that the final balances for each file were incorrect, so I made an adjustment to each final balance so that each one agreed with the last balance on the corresponding Money file. I then saved (or thought I had) my work. But just to check, I opened up Moneydance again and everything is there again - all incorrect.

I thought I had this cracked, so I am feeling dead frustrated - what on earth am I doing wrong? Is it something to do with the way I am 'saving' (or not) my work. I blamed my husband yesterday, but can't blame him again!!

6. 6 Posted by Ben Spencer on 20 Jan, 2010 07:22 PM

Hi Anne

When you are importing a qif file if that qif fie includes transfers to other accounts Moneydance has to create the other account to enter the other side of the baencing entry. It is therefore necessary to export all of your MS Money accounts even those you are no longer using if you want to preserver an accurate record of your transaction history.

As for the saving issue, the problem described at the beginning of this thread is unrelated. It was caused by a bug that was fixed in build 735. Perhaps you do not have write permission to the folder you are trying to save to. Try Selecting File->Save As and saving to a file name on your desktop of in the documents folder that your are sure you have write permission for.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

7. 7 Posted by Frederick HODGE... on 21 Jan, 2010 01:37 PM

> Message du 20/01/10 20:22
    > De : "Ben Spencer"
    > A : [email blocked]
    > Copie à :
    > Objet : Re: Trial Version didn't save data [Problems]
    >
    Thanks Ben - once again. So really I have to transfer everything that is on MS Money - and then deal with it once I get it into Moneydance.

One other thing that I forgot to mention, but I remembered it at 5am - Moneydance is continually shutting down when I am working in it - I have to restart the computer.

I understand also that Java has something to do with Moneydance, but I cannot find it in my list of programs - could this be relevant?

I have had a look at the thread on saving files, as your colleague Pamela suggested - I did this before I contacted you. And I did the File - Save as. I ended up with loads of different screens showing different amounts for the same account - but spent so long going round in circles that I am not sure where I went!!

I will battle on today and see how I get on.......

Thanks for your patience.

8. 8 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 21 Jan, 2010 07:42 PM

Would you check and see what version of Java you are running? You can find this information by going to the Help Menu--> About Moneydance.

As for the multiple windows, when you single click an account in the sidebar it brings up that account, but when you DOUBLE click on an item it brings it up in a new Moneydance window, so you could end up with several windows open without meaning to. Single clicking should resolve this issue.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thank you for your interest in Moneydance.

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

9. Raimund Buchholz closed this discussion on 12 May, 2010 02:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac