How can I swap a sub-category from Income to Expense?

jross

21 May, 2020 10:49 PM

I switched to Moneydance recently and imported several years of transactions from Quicken exports.

Everything looked good and I was able to reconcile everything, but as I do some reporting I notice a few of the sub-categories created in the import were set to type "Income" rather than "Expense", or the opposite.

For example, I have these categories:
Transportation (Expense)
Transportation:Fuel (Expense)
Transportation:Repair (Income) <-- wrong

When I view and edit categories, this field I don't see how to change this flag.

Any advice? I'm hoping not to have to recreate the categories. I have not explored the bulk category edit capabilities of Monydance much but I remember I had to re-reconcile dozens of statements after one edit because I could not figure out how to restore my edited transactions' cleared status any other way.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 21 May, 2020 11:19 PM

I'm a fellow user.

This is generally a legacy of some programs allowing you to mix Income and Expense categories together.

When this happens it is necessary to use an indirect approach to correct the issue, a direct approach means a category could be changed on a whim or by accident.

The approach to fixing it lies in the use of the Batch Change facility, discussed in:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/register-and-transactions/batch-change

You need to create a new category of the correct type and move the transactions to this new category.

As with any restructure you should take a backup before you start, but it is especially import here because any mistake can really damage your data.

Firstly create a new category of the correct type (name it slightly differently to distinguish, you can rename it again later). After doing this open the category you wish to change the type of, you do this by going to the category window through the menu command Tools → Categories, select the category then right click and in the drop down select “Open in New Window”.

This displays a register window – but note this is a category register window not the account type registers you are used to working with. Select all transaction in this register, generally you can do this by selecting a transaction then using the keyboard shortcut CTRL-A (CMD-A on Mac)

Now right click on the transactions and Select Batch Change. Select to Change the ACCOUNT. The software will then display a window where you can scroll down and select the Category to move the transactions to.

After pressing the OK button the transactions will be moved.

The original category should now be empty and you can delete.

2. 2 Posted by jross on 22 May, 2020 08:28 PM

Thanks I'll snap a backup and give it a try.

I appreciate your help!

3. 3 Posted by jross on 23 May, 2020 03:10 AM

The important part of your instructions is that when viewing transactions by category, in that window the category is the account. So batch changes are made there.

It was quite a journey but it worked and everything looks much more rational now. Thanks again!

4. jross closed this discussion on 23 May, 2020 03:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac