Adding Attachment and then viewing results in endless DDE Error spawning chromium processes

dm_corsa

06 Jun, 2020 02:36 PM

For the first time today I tried adding an attachment to a transaction in a register. The attachment was a locally stored PDF document of a statement of account that the transaction was for. Attaching worked fine.

When I attempted to view the attachment, the side bar opened and showed the document. When I clicked on it, the default PDF document viewer on my system, Okular, opened the document just fine. BUT, then an error window opened with just "DDE error" dfisplayed and along with a blank web browser window which complained that the files IP address was not accessible. I clicked OK to dismiss the error and closed the browser window, and the system immediately displayed another one, same error, and again spawned another chromium browser window. It was endless, i tried killing the process for chromium and it just all restarted as soon as I dismissed one of the DDE error messages.

I tried removing the attachment and the same errors occurred.

I resorted to rebooting the system. Upon restart I started MoneyDance again and the attachment was removed from the transaction.

I am not adding another.

Running the latest version of MoneyDance, 2019.3 (1880) on openSUSE Linux 15.1.

Any suggestions?

1. 1 Posted by jeff_l on 06 Jun, 2020 04:20 PM

Hi dm_corsa,

I think you will find that it’s Okular that does not like working with MD. I also get an error message when opening PDF attachments with Okular.

Try installing the super fast qdfview or Xreader, both will open PDF attachment without error.

Jeff – fellow user

2. 2 Posted by dm_corsa on 06 Jun, 2020 04:39 PM

Thanks for that. I'll checkout XReader, it's available in the suse repositories.

3. 3 Posted by dm_corsa on 06 Jun, 2020 04:46 PM

Confirming that that did the trick. Thanks very much for that jeff_I.

Perfect.

4. 4 Posted by jeff_l on 06 Jun, 2020 08:38 PM

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting back with your positive result.

I thought I should just correct a typo error I made earlier. The super lightweight Linux PDF reader is called qpdfview

One thing you should be aware of, is that MD stores your PDF attachment encrypted, so if ever you need to retrieve your PDF file say to send electronically, you will need to print it out, scan & turn into PDF. Your PDF is stored inside you dataset with a pdf extension, but cannot be read by any software other than MD.

In view of this, you may want to keep an unencrypted copy of your PDF file!

Jeff

5. 5 Posted by dm_corsa on 06 Jun, 2020 08:43 PM

Thanks for that added info. I store all my statements as local PDF outside of MD.

6. System closed this discussion on 05 Sep, 2020 08:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac