Irritating and unnecessary "save" request when closing unchanged split transactions in MD 2010r2 (735)

glewbel

30 Dec, 2009 07:12 PM

Here's some weird behavior in MD 2010 that was also present in MD 2008. After I look at an existing (previously saved) transaction that has two or more splits, when I close the transaction by clicking DONE and then click on another transaction or hit the "enter" key, MD always asks if I want to "save changes to the transaction" even though I have not changed anything. This only happens with split transactions.

If anyone knows how I can get MD to stop this unwanted "save" request, I'd be grateful. I have a lot of split transactions and I review them frequently, so this is an ongoing annoyance. It's not a show-stopper--nothing seems to be harmed by re-saving the saved transaction--but having an unchanged transaction force a save is unsettling at best. Thanks for any suggestions.

1. 1 Posted by ljb on 30 Dec, 2009 11:39 PM

Sort of a work-around: After clicking DONE on the splits popup, press the Escapekey before you click on another transaction. This "closes" the transaction, and apparently gets MD to forget any changes you made, or it thinks you made even though you didn't, to the transaction.

2. 2 Posted by glewbel on 30 Dec, 2009 11:45 PM

Thanks! Your little work-around works fine and it's a bit quicker to do than accept the "changes" with a mouse click.

Now, if Sean will please fix this bug... It's been around for several years at least, and is probably confusing other users who don't know why they are being asked to save changes when they didn't actually change anything.

3. 3 Posted by ljb on 31 Dec, 2009 12:15 AM

I did a quick search on "trac" and didn't see any existing bug report for this, so you might consider opening one.

I can think of some improvements here, such as adding a Cancel button to the split dialog and making Escape trigger the cancel button. That is in addition to what you found - don't mark the transaction as changed unless there were actual changes.

4. 4 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Jan, 2010 06:30 PM

I belive that if you set the "save on every quit" option you will not be prompted before saving. Select File ->Preference to set this option.

Ben Spencer

5. 5 Posted by ljb on 19 Jan, 2010 07:20 PM

No, Ben, that isn't what we are talking about. Preferences > Save on every quit is for quiting from Moneydance with File > Quit. With this preference checked, MD will save the file if there were any changes, without asking. If unchecked, it asks if you want to save or not.

The original question is about opening the details popup for a split transaction, and then closing the transaction (by clicking off it, for example). Just opening the split details popup seems to always mark the transaction as modified, resulting in prompting to save that transaction.

6. 6 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Jan, 2010 08:12 PM

Ahh my mistake I am sorry I misunderstood you.

I have created a trac ticket for this issue. here is the link:

http://moneydance.com/trac/ticket/2528

Sincerely

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

7. 7 Posted by ljb on 19 Jan, 2010 09:34 PM

No problem, sorry for my tone.

(I'm trying to figure out if Severity: PaperCut is high or low? Paper-cuts hurt, but everything is relative... Will we see other injury-related severity ratings?

My favorite from an old book is Severity: Dogwash, as in: wash your dog before bothering with this one.)

8. 8 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Jan, 2010 10:44 PM

PaperCuts are currently the only severity option other than default. Most trac tickets are identified as default severity however we are just starting a new internal project called PaperCuts. A paper cut is a trivially fixable usability bug that the average user would encounter. Alone each paper cut is nothing more than a minor annoyance, together a great many paper cuts creates a significantly negative user experience. The aim of the project is to fix all the little things that we usually don't get around to fixing because they don't seem important by them selves. Attaching the PaperCut severity puts a ticket into this project. It may take some knowledge of software engineering and the internals of Moneydance to be able to correctly identify what is or what is not a PaperCut.

The term PaperCuts became popular in software development the last release of the Ubuntu Linux distribution. Which included the "100 paper cuts project" as part of the release.

We may see other injury relate severities. I am entertained by by adding in some Monty Python ones. such as "Tis but a scratch", or "merely a flesh wound".

Ben

9. 9 Posted by jimmplsmn on 20 Jan, 2010 02:13 AM

Thanks for the laugh, Ben! I'm sure that in the middle of the tweaks you and the crew are making to MD2010 its nice to laugh once in a while and I for one think that the Monte Python references are a great idea.

One little tweak I would like would be to offer a choice of sounds for a saved transaction besides the "cha-ching" sound. In my book, this doesn't come up to the "paper cut" level, but for me, when I'm working late at night, it would be nice to have a "ding" or similar sound. Thanks.

10. 10 Posted by Ben Spencer on 20 Jan, 2010 03:19 PM

There is an existing ticket for exactly this suggestion. Here is the link:

http://moneydance.com/trac/ticket/1663

Please vote on it to show your support.

In the mean time it is possible to turn of the cha-ching sound by unchecking the "Beep when trasanctions change" under File_.Preferences-General.

Ben

11. 11 Posted by jimmplsmn on 21 Jan, 2010 03:07 AM

Ben,

I created that ticket! I did vote for it though... However, I also wanted to add another comment to it, but I couldn't figure out how. I then tried to start a new ticket, and I received a warning that I don't have "create ticket" permissions. I was logged in when this happened, and I believe I must have had such permissions before. I have attached a snip from that page because I was also getting a meaningless (at least to me) warning on each page in the trac system.

• Jim
  12. 12 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 21 Jan, 2010 03:54 AM

Jim,

I manually authenticated your account, we have had a few users experience this issue with the trac system. It seems to be caused by a new level of email authentication the system is requiring, but it's still a bit of a mystery.

Let me know if you continue to have trouble with the system and I'll try something else.

Thanks for your suggestions and input,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

13. 13 Posted by jimmplsmn on 21 Jan, 2010 06:24 AM

Thanks Angie for your assistance.

Same response - can't start a new ticket, or add a comment to an existing one.

• Jim
  14. 14 Posted by glewbel on 21 Jan, 2010 01:36 PM

--- On Wed, 1/20/10, jimmplsmn <[email blocked]> wrote:

15. 15 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 21 Jan, 2010 07:35 PM

Jim,

Ok, thanks for posting. Would you please send me your user name and the address you used to create your account on a private thread with a title something like "Can't post to Trac"? I'll then try to work some magic with the system.

Thanks,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

16. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 07:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac