Categories

quiversky

14 Jul, 2020 09:58 AM

I've read similar discussions on this issue but they're all closed so I thought I'd start over. I've been using Moneydance for 6 years. 2 of those were in Canada and then I moved to Australia. My old accounts are in CAD and my new accounts are in AUD. Since categories are set to specific currencies, I have to maintain two sets of categories - one for Canadian accounts and one for Australian accounts.

However, I've noticed that some of the categories are in the wrong currency. The main category for example, "CA Expenses" is in the correct CAD, but the the subcategory, "Cash" is in AUD (by default since my default currency is AUD).

Two problems with this:

1. The currency selector for CA Expenses/Cash is in AUD and greyed out because there are transactions. I submit that preventing users from changing the currency a category with transactions is wrong. What would be better is to ask for confirmation (like when changing a reconciled transaction).

2. Why would you allow categories and subcategories to be in different currencies? If the main category (eg CA Expenses) is in CAD, shouldn't all the subcategories be in CAD as well? Since my default currency is AUD, every time I try to create a subcategory of a Canadian category, it defaults to AUD. If you maintain that categories and subcategories should be allowed to be in different currencies, at least default the new subcategory to its parent category. This would save a lot of time. But I still think that subcategories should be locked to the currency of their parent.

3. Maybe a further suggestion would be to decouple categories from currencies. Accounts should have currencies (as they do) but categories should not. This would simplify a lot. Then I could use the same categorisation for all accounts and currencies. Most people don't change countries or have accounts in multiple countries so this isn't an issue for them. But for the minority of users who do, this third suggestion might help.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac