Corrupted display whenever trying to enter new transactions

Peter L Dowson

29 Aug, 2020 12:54 PM

I've been using MoneyDance for several years with no problems. then the PC i was using crashed irrecoverably (hardware problems), so I installed MoneyDance on a new PC and obtained my account data from an archive.
   It all seems to work fine EXCEPT on this PC, when I enter new transaction data at the bottom of the account display, all sorts of other text appears, from elsewhere, and stops me seeing the fields in which I enter the details. I can manage by intelligent guess work as to where to type, but it is difficult and very slow going.
   This PC is different from the last in that it runs Win10. That's all.
   I tried re-installing Moneydance, and updating my nVidia video drivers, to no avail.
   All other programs on the same PC have no problems at all -- the problem is something to do with how Moneydance deals with its displays.
   Can you help, please? (I append a picture of the typical mess i am trying to work through).

Thank you
Peter Dowson

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by Peter Dowson on 04 Sep, 2020 09:43 AM

Hi dwg,

Just tried Moneydance under Win10 2004 and the nVidia driver it installed for itself. Same problems unfortunately.
    There is a java for browsers, but no this is a programming language that is being used here. You cannot uninstalled it , it is not actually installed but the required Java version is bundled with Moneydance and is installed as part of the Moneydance installation into a private directory.
    Ah, so I can't try to 'fix' Java. I've tried different video drivers AND a Windows update. Rather running out of options!
    I have just checked and the latest build 1928 is using an updated version of Java:
    They're up to 1928 already? I only downloaded and updated mine about a week ago -- it's 1919. i'll try updating.

On the Syncing front, I've gone through the steps to sync the data onto my Surface,. It offers me 3 different files to sync to, but only one by the unadorned name "Pete Accounts". the others have dates and times on. No matter which I choose, after waiting over 20 minutes for it to "perform initial sync", the records it comes up with seem to onlt cover the first two years or so I used moneydance (i.e. 2016-2017). This is even true of the ones showing today's or yesterday's date.

It is very strange. The syncing to the App on my iPhone is fine, so the data is definitely in Dropbox. Maybe Moneydance does an initial batch of entries then adds them slowly afterwards?

I'll keep trying.

... Just updated to 1928 on the main PC. Will try this later.

Pete

2. 32 Posted by Peter Dowson on 04 Sep, 2020 12:11 PM

Hi dwg,
    Unfortunately that made no difference. Looks like this graphics glitching in Moneydance is somehow built into my PC. Changing Windows versions, changing video drivers, updating MoneyDance -- they all make not one iota of difference! 

But on this:
    On the Syncing front, I've gone through the steps to sync the data onto my Surface,. It offers me 3 different files to sync to, but only one by the unadorned name "Pete Accounts". the others have dates and times on. No matter which I choose, after waiting over 20 minutes for it to "perform initial sync", the records it comes up with seem to onlt cover the first two years or so I used moneydance (i.e. 2016-2017). This is even true of the ones showing today's or yesterday's date.
    I think somehow that first attempt must have failed part way. I tried again, restarting MoneyDance, ignoring the loaded partial records, and choosing New and Syncing again, this time it took about 90 minutes or so and came up with the current data. Only odd thing is that it calls it "Pete Accounts 2" so I don't know if it will really be a different sync on the main PC and my iPhone. I'll see when I try updating it.

Regards
    Pete Dowson

Sent: 04 September 2020 10:43
    To: [email blocked] <[email blocked]>
    Subject: Re: Corrupted display whenever trying to enter new transactions [Problems #62878]

Hi dwg,

Just tried Moneydance under Win10 2004 and the nVidia driver it installed for itself. Same problems unfortunately.
    There is a java for browsers, but no this is a programming language that is being used here. You cannot uninstalled it , it is not actually installed but the required Java version is bundled with Moneydance and is installed as part of the Moneydance installation into a private directory.
    Ah, so I can't try to 'fix' Java. I've tried different video drivers AND a Windows update. Rather running out of options!
    I have just checked and the latest build 1928 is using an updated version of Java:
    They're up to 1928 already? I only downloaded and updated mine about a week ago -- it's 1919. i'll try updating.

It is very strange. The syncing to the App on my iPhone is fine, so the data is definitely in Dropbox. Maybe Moneydance does an initial batch of entries then adds them slowly afterwards?

I'll keep trying.

Pete

3. 33 Posted by DJS on 21 Sep, 2020 10:48 PM

I'm having the same issue! But I'm on an AMD system with an AMD Radeon graphics card, so I don't see this being an Nvidia issue. It makes the app unusable though. Have you solved this?

4. 34 Posted by Peter Dowson on 22 Sep, 2020 11:11 AM

I'm having the same issue! But I'm on an AMD system with an AMD Radeon graphics card, so I don't see this being an Nvidia issue. It makes the app unusable though. Have you solved this?

No. Nothing I tried helped -- Windows update, different nVidia drivers, even changing the Windows text size.
    In order to update my accounts I'm now having to use a synchronised copy on another PC (Surface Pro), even though I do my summaries, checking and reports on the PC which MoneyDance doesn't like.

Annoying. I'm now wondering if there's a way of exporting all my accounts in a form suitable to import into an alternative accounting program.

Pete

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• ScreenHunter_40.png 26.9 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

29 Oct, 2020 08:38 PM
29 Oct, 2020 08:36 PM
29 Oct, 2020 08:25 PM