Reinstallling Moneydance after computer failure

Tom Shemanski

21 Sep, 2020 04:48 PM

I have a valid product code for version 2017 and an upgrade to version 2020. I had to reload windows 10 after a computer failure and copied the moneydance program to the newly reloaded windows. I didn't read the article "Moving To A New Computer" before I attempted to do this and now both versions fail to recover or import my account files. Is there a way to recover them now? By the way I can no longer login to your website; do I have to register and create a new profile? Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 Sep, 2020 05:36 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Tom

Did the computer failure result in the loss of all data on your hard drive?
    If this was the case then unless you were:
    1. Using Moneydance EXPORT BACKUP regularly or Moneydance auto backup both to a remote location such a Dropbox or another cloud server.
    2. Using Moneydance to sync between devices. If so, which syncing method and what devices.
    3. Using another method to backup Moneydance data to another device.

Then it is unlikely you can recover your data.

2. 2 Posted by Gmail on 22 Sep, 2020 12:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. During a windows update we had a power outage which corrupted the boot partition. I tried everything to reboot that was available but nothing helped, so I had to go the nuclear option and reinstall windows to the factory settings. My factory settings were Windows 7 which I then had to update to windows 10. I could see the files on the HD from another computer on the network and was able to copy them to a usb drive. I had been using moneydance export backup to a this usb drive but after copying moneydance program to the new windows installation I could not recover moneydance data files even after moneydance detected my program files and archive backups. MD failed to reload the backup files. I then uninstalled MD 2020 and reinstalled MD 2017. This too failed to load from a backup file on the usb. Both MD 2020 and MD 2017 would start with a basic program with no account information, even though I had many backups to choose from.

Tom

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 Sep, 2020 07:41 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Tom

You talk about having the data set and backups on a USB drive.

Copy the data set which is a folder containing other folders and file to its default location on your hard drive. The name format of the data set folder if correctly formatted is yourdatasetname.moneydance

Default location C:\Users\user_name.moneydance\Documents

When trying to open a data set within Moneydance FILE – OPEN it should be listed. Confirm you can see it. If it will not open what error message do you get?

If you are still stuck try restoring from a Moneydance backup.

Copy your Moneydance backup files to the default location on your hard drive. Read the notes below to understand the Moneydance naming format for backup files.

Default location C:\Users\user_name.moneydance\archive\backups

Can you confirm that within Moneydance you are using FILE – RESTORE FROM BACKUP and if necessary, navigating to the default folder.
    When trying to open a backup in the default location it should be listed. Confirm you can see them. If it will not open what error message do you get?

Also, if a data set or a backup will not open then post the errlog.txt file found at C:\Users\user_name.moneydance\ after making the attempt.

Notes on Moneydance backups:

The default backup location can be found under HELP – SHOW ARCHIVE FOLDER. This location is on your hard drive. In both cases you can select the backup location and as such it is good practice to set the location on a cloud server such as Dropbox, in case your hard drive fails.

Manual backup. A manual backup can be made under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – BACKUP EXPORT. The file naming convention is yourdatasetname-yyyymmdd-tttt.moneydancearchive

Automatic backup is set under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – PREFERENCES – BACKUPS. Auto backup makes a backup every time you close Moneydance. Moneydance only keep the last auto backup of the day, overwriting any previous auto backups for that day. You can set the number of backups to be kept. When this number is exceeded the oldest backup is deleted. The file naming convention is yourdatasetname.yyyy-mm-dd.moneydancearchive

When a backup is made, if you were syncing, the syncing method is set to don’t sync. This prevent syncing if you restore a backup. This can be important if the need for restoring a backup was related to syncing or corrupted data has been synced. Other backup methods such as making a copy of your data set want do this and can mean a restored data set will sync and your data set will be corrupted again.
    If you are syncing and using say Dropbox as a backup location don’t set your computers to use the exact same backup location. When you sync you have a primary computer and secondary computers. A primary data set is not the same as a secondary data set and hence neither are there backups. But as they use the same data set name it possible to get confused. A secondary data set can be identified by the fact that the syncing method cannot be changed. It is possible to convert a secondary data set to a primary data set but it means running a python script. Your password is not reset, you still need it to open a backup. A moneydancearchive file is a compressed data set.
    The contents of a backup file is encrypted and provided you have set a password under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – PASSWORDS can only be opened by Moneydance by entering your password after using FILE – RESTORE FROM BACKUP.

When you FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – RESTORE FROM BACKUP you do not overwrite your existing data set, a new data set is created with the naming convention – from manual backup yourdatasetname-yyyymmdd-tttt.moneydance the date time code taken from the backup file - from auto backup yourdatasetname (plus at number) e.g. yourdatasetname 2.moneydance The default data set location can be found under HELP (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER. You can delete old data sets you no longer want. You can rename a restored data set with Moneydance closed as you would any other folder provided you retain “.moneydance” extension. A data set is a folder not a file containing other folders and files. When you open Moneydance it will open in the “Welcome to Moneydance” window with the data set name listed on the right.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac