Moneydance ver 2021 crashes when trying to enter registration code

alex

20 Oct, 2020 07:08 PM

Greetings. I just upgraded to 2021. My file opens, and as soon as I click the "Enter License" button the app crashes. I tried this several times with the same result.

I attach the error log.

1. 1 Posted by alex on 20 Oct, 2020 07:16 PM

It also crashes when trying to open "Preferences".

It also crashes after I create a new empty file and then try to enter the registration code.

It crashes also when I do "File | New" with my original file open.

Such pervasive bugs should definitely not be in a released product...

Went back to 2020 version for now.

2. 2 Posted by Tom C on 21 Oct, 2020 07:49 PM

I am having the same experience running 2021 on a Macbook with MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. My last upgrade was 2019 so I had to buy a new license. There's no way to enter the new code. Unusable.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 Oct, 2020 10:22 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Tom

Other Mac users have reported a crash issue if a second monitor is connected,
    Do you have a second monitor, if so its a know bug.
    Until Sean can release a new build with a fix the only work around is to disconnect the second monitor.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by Tom C on 21 Oct, 2020 10:29 PM

I do have a second monitor attached. And sure enough, after unplugging it, I was able to enter my new license code.

I tried plugging my second monitor back in after I entered the code. Now it crashes as soon as I try opening the register for an account. And it happens regardless whether the window is displayed on the main monitor or second monitor. Obviously the second monitor bug goes much deeper than just entering the license code.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Sean Reilly on 21 Oct, 2020 10:34 PM

Hi Alex,
    I'm so sorry about this. I hope that it is due to having a second display connected to your mac as so far that is the most common element from the crash reports we've received. The other common element may be that it is an external monitor connected to a mac laptop. If that is the case can you let me know if it helps to go into the system preferences -> Energy tab and disable "automatic graphics switching"? That has seemingly worked for one person, but not for me, but I'm running on Big Sur so it's not a great comparison.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

6. 6 Posted by Tom C on 22 Oct, 2020 01:51 AM

I am indeed on a laptop. However, it’s a MacBook Air, and I do not have that option. From what I just read, “automatics graphics switching” applies only on MacBook Pros with two GPUs; it doesn’t exist on Airs (which never have 2 GPUs), some Pros, and any desktops (which don’t need to save the power).

7. 7 Posted by alex on 22 Oct, 2020 08:17 AM

I can confirm that, after I disconnect the external monitor on my MacBook Pro 15 (2018, running macOS 10.15.7), I was able to enter the registration code.

I can also confirm that I subsequently reconnected the monitor, restarted the app, and it works just fine. This includes access to the “Preferences” tab (previously it would crash), as well as downloading transactions.

So things appear to be working fine right now. The problem appears to be with the licenser code (whatever runs prior to accepting the registration code). That also explains why it escaped testing :-)

Thanks for the quick response guys.

8. 8 Posted by Tom C on 23 Oct, 2020 06:16 PM

Unlike Alex, I’m still getting crashes when the second monitor is connected. They happen as soon as you go into preferences or into a register.

9. 9 Posted by alex on 26 Oct, 2020 11:15 AM

FYI, I had intermitent crashes (e.g., upon wake with the 2nd monitor connected) so I am back to using the 2020.2 (1929) version.

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Oct, 2020 01:03 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Alex

This from Sean the Moneydance software developer posted on 22-10

An update on the crashing issue for this release:
    it happens on macOS (all versions as far as I can tell) primarily but not necessarily only when there is an external display connected.
    the crash is at the java/vm level so we'll need the fix to come from there. A new build of the AdoptOpenJDK is due out any day now
    this same crash is affecting other java apps with much more widespread use so people are working on it and I'm confident that a newer openjdk build (see above) will fix it.

Hope this informs

11. 11 Posted by alex on 26 Oct, 2020 01:10 PM

It does, thanks a lot.

PS: I love the product, I’ve been using it since 2008, and will continue doing so :-)

12. 12 Posted by mike on 26 Oct, 2020 09:10 PM

I have the same problem as above. As there are quite a few versions for installing AdoptOpenJDK, I would appreciate it if when a working one is discovered, that it be posted here.

13. 13 Posted by dwg on 26 Oct, 2020 09:14 PM

I'm a fellow user.

It is no use you installing AdoptOpenJDK yourself. Moneydance will not use it.

Moneydance bundles the version of Java it requires as part of the program and this is what it uses. So you need to wait until a version of Moneydance becomes available that uses a new JDK

14. 14 Posted by Tom C on 27 Oct, 2020 02:13 AM

I downloaded the new Java Runtime so far (after getting a prompt to do so from the Java updater, i.e. not from Moneydance) and the second monitor seems to be working fine now.

15. 15 Posted by Josmac on 27 Oct, 2020 06:02 AM

Just another user reporting the same crashing behavior on a MBP + external monitor. My monitor is connected with a Lightning 3 cable and is providing both power and video signal, so not really a good solution to simply disconnect it. I'll hold off upgrading until this bug is squashed.

A thought. I am a long-time user of MD and really want to see its continued success. I wonder if it would be wise to post something on the upgrade site indicating that this version is not compatible with external monitor setups. Better that than worrying folks about MD's overall stability with these hard crashes.

16. 16 Posted by dwg on 28 Oct, 2020 01:40 AM

Moneydance 2021 Build 2008 has been posted, this is from the change log.

Moneydance 2021.1 build 2008 (Mon, 26 Oct 2020 23:55:00 +0000)
     * handle bad dates properly when reading OFX (with default values upon formatting/parsing errors)
     * update layout of license key entry window to avoid squishing
     * fix bug when importing or un-archiving a file when the main moneydance window is not yet open
     * fix crashes on macs when using multiple monitors
     * fixed bug in OnlineService updates when the connection parameters contain lists or maps

https://infinitekind.com/preview

17. Melissa closed this discussion on 03 Nov, 2020 07:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac