Accidental drag and drop of app icon removes all data

andrew

13 Dec, 2020 10:25 PM

I am using "Moneydance 2021 (2006)" on macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur.

I have found out the hard way that if you click and drag on the little moneydance icon in the title bar of the main application, next to the file name, and drag it to the desktop, then the moneydance data file gets moved out of its normal home and onto the desktop. After doing this unintentionally, the app started acting really weird, giving error messages, and when I closed it and opened it again, everything was gone.

Eventually I was able to fix this by going into /Users/andrew/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents/, deleting the new-and-broken .moneydance, and moving the file from the desktop into that directory.

I know this is an odd edge case but an accidental click-and-drag seems like far too easy a way to remove all data from moneydance. I hope this can be fixed, or to at least raise awareness that this can happen.

1. 1 Posted by jeff_l on 14 Dec, 2020 06:58 AM

When I do what you describe above, I get a copy of the Dataset moved to the desktop.

The original stays at its usual location & is available after the program is quit. Nothing is deleted or lost. I just now have 2 versions, the only issue I can envisage is if the data was in a syncing arrangement.

fellow user

2. System closed this discussion on 15 Mar, 2021 07:00 AM.

3. andrew re-opened this discussion on 01 Oct, 2022 09:23 PM

4. 2 Posted by andrew on 01 Oct, 2022 09:23 PM

This happened to me again, but this time I didn’t notice right away. Most data got moved to the newly-dragged-and-dropped location, but at least some of my edits got saved to the old location. I have a bunch of files named safe/tiksync/out/20221001180951_162.txn between the two places with no idea how to reconcile them :(

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac