Chase Online Bill Payment Error Messages

Chas Douglass

09 Jan, 2010 06:32 PM

I am running Moneydance build 735 on Ubuntu.

Chase bill payment is working intermittently (maybe).

When I try to pay a bill it usually just pops up an error message that says something like "see details below" but there are no details. When I looked at the console log it was actually specifying an error about "bill payment date too early" so I manually edited the bill payment date and got one to go through (I think -- and Moneydance thinks so, also -- but it doesn't show up on the Chase web interface, yet).

Following that initial version of success I tried some more but now they all get a blank error message, that shows in the console log as "We were unable to process your request. Please try again later".

Updating accounts with Chase works ok.

Bill payment worked when I used it last in December under Moneydance 2008.

1. 1 Posted by Iris Sherman on 19 Jan, 2010 02:02 AM

I'm having the same problem with Chase, using Build 735 on Windows XP.

Again, no info in the error window except for the bank name.

2. 2 Posted by Jessica Little on 19 Jan, 2010 07:37 PM

Hello,

Customers have had problems using Chase bill pay in the past. Apparently, if you pick a payment date that Chase doesn't accept bill payment, you will get a cryptic error message. Submitting the same payment through their website provides a more useful error message, like "Sorry, we don't accept payments scheduled for Saturdays" or something along those lines. This is probably what's happening with the"unable to process request" errors.

The payment date too early error is because Moneydance will only allow you to submit payments on a date that is at least 7 days in advance. You can turn off this feature by going to the File menu and clicking on Preferences. In the Preferences window, click the Network tab. Towards the bottom, there will be an checkbox that says "Observe Online Payment date Restrictions." Uncheck that, and Moneydance will let you submit payments for any date.

Also, you've hit upon a small bug in Moneydance. The error window is too small to show the full error message, but it's not immediately obvious that there's more to the message. If you click and drag the lower right hand corner of the message window to expand the window, you'll be able to see the full error message. We're working on a fix for this so that in the future it will be clear that the error message continues past "Bank Name."

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

3. 3 Posted by Iris Sherman on 19 Jan, 2010 07:44 PM

Hi,
    This morning I tried to pay the same bills and they went through without any
    problems. This makes me think that maybe there was a problem on their end
    but perhaps it was the date problem.

At any rate, I appreciate your fast response and the tip about turning off
    the date check within MoneyDance is very useful.

Thank you,
    Iris sherman

-----Original Message-----
    [mailto:[email blocked]]
    Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:37 PM
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: Chase Online Bill Payment Error Messages [Problems]

4. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 04 Sep, 2010 03:59 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac