Issues with search

dbronstein88

23 Jan, 2021 05:33 PM

I have a category "U of A". How can I search for all the transactions in this category? When I put "U of A" in the search box and search on it, it brings back everything that has a U, "of", or A in it. How can I search for just the category "U of A"?

1. 1 Posted by sth on 23 Jan, 2021 06:08 PM

It works as you want and as expected using the search box in the upper right are you using a different search technique?

It might be helpful if we knew what OS and what version including build number you are using? Perhaps a very old version behaved differently.

(NOT IK support)

2. 2 Posted by dbronstein88 on 23 Jan, 2021 08:26 PM

No it doesn't work. When I type U of A in the upper right search box, it shows tons of transactions that aren't in that category.

It's version 2020.2 (1929) on Windows 10.

3. 3 Posted by dbronstein88 on 23 Jan, 2021 08:34 PM

I saw there is a new version so I upgraded to 2021 (2006) and it still does the same thing.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 23 Jan, 2021 08:45 PM

I think using the find and replace extension may work better.

5. 5 Posted by dbronstein88 on 23 Jan, 2021 11:10 PM

It's a flaw with the search function. You should be able to search for a string with spaces in it.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 24 Jan, 2021 01:13 AM

To be able to search for a string would require the ability to indicate it is a string that should be searched for rather than a set of strings with an implied "or". I do not see it has a mechanism for that. It appears to be a fairly basic search capability.

7. 7 Posted by dbronstein88 on 24 Jan, 2021 03:49 AM

The standard mechanism is to enclose the search string in quotes but that doesn't work.

8. 8 Posted by sth on 25 Jan, 2021 02:40 PM

I do NOT believe that there is an implied or. I tested this behavior and it only found exact matches to the string. Perhaps you are matching part of another string in a memo, tag, or category string. It does search all parts of the transaction.

My usage and checking showed no flaws in the search function.

9. 9 Posted by dbronstein88 on 25 Jan, 2021 06:03 PM

Here's a screen shot. It is returning many transactions that do not match the exact string.

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Jan, 2021 06:25 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi dbronstein88

Have you thought of renaming the category U of A to UNIVERSITY OF ARIZ so search has more to work with?

TOOLS – CATEGORIES- highlight U of A – EDIT and edit Category Name U of A to UNIVERSITY OF ARIZ – DONE.

Hope this helps

11. 11 Posted by sth on 25 Jan, 2021 07:04 PM

And the memo field? That is also searched. I don't know if it also searches the original downloaded transaction data as well.

12. 12 Posted by dbronstein88 on 25 Jan, 2021 08:11 PM

There is nothing in the memo fields that match. It's a flaw with search function.

@derekkent23, I actually changed the category to UofA without the spaces already. I just changed it back for demonstration purposes. Interestingly, searching for U of A returns the UofA transactions even though there is not a direct match of the string.

Playing with it some more, it looks like it's doing an AND search rather than an OR search. As I enter single letters separated by spaces in the search bar, it returns fewer and fewer matches, and the ones that are returned have all the letters in them somewhere.

13. 13 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 Jan, 2021 08:52 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

Out of interest, have you tried the Edit/Advanced Search function?

14. 14 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 Jan, 2021 09:24 PM

I just tested, it's definitely splitting the search up with the spaces into separate search tokens and then doing an and on each token....

15. 15 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 Jan, 2021 09:29 PM

I also just tested Advanced Search and a search for U of A returns just exact matches - no splitting of the test by spaces....

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac