Portfolio Summary

rich

12 Jan, 2010 11:37 AM

My portfolio summary for an account does not represent the actual equities that I have in the account.

Is there a way to have the system read through all the transactions for this account and rebuild the portfolio summary ?

This probably occurred due to my fixing up some imported transactions that imported into the wrong account, and I used the batch change function to move them.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 12 Jan, 2010 04:57 PM

Hi rich,
    First, make a backup of your MD file.
    Are the newly added securities listed in the drop down list in the 'Securities Detail' section?
    You may need to try 'Add Security' from the 'Securities Detail' section to add securites to the particular account that you moved / added them to.
    HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by rich on 12 Jan, 2010 05:59 PM

Kevin,

thanks for the reply. I think you misunderstand. The Portfolio View/Summary screen shows securities that are not in the account register any more. I can delete them of course, and have done so as an experiment.

But, there is no way to make the securities listed for the account to match up with the buys and the sells in the account.

For example, I purchased 2000 shares of XYZ, but the portfolio summary shows that I own 4000 shares. That is because of another purchase of 2000 shares of XYZ had initially and mistakenly imported into this account.

I have since moved the extra 2000 shares out of the account, however the Portfolio View/Summary still shows the shares that I moved out. This implies that the stock buys are stored in two different places, and they are not matched up and they are not linked. There is no way to run a program to regenerate the portfolio view from the basic register data.

If I go to the securities detail, I can see the correct buy of XYZ, and I also still see the other buy that was supposed to be in the alternate account. Of course I can delete it. And the extra buy does not show up in the register.

Is there no way to ensure integrity between the summary and the register ? Are there two places to store data ? In my opinion it is much safer program design to have one and only one true source of data for a report, whether it be the register or the securities detail reports.

There is something making me very nervous about this. I'm evaluating the MD right now, and I'd like to know how this works.

The transactions shown in the Securities Detail appear to be completely independent of the securities detail in the register. The are not synced, they are two storage areas for one data category.

I would have to sync them manually. There is no automated way to check one against the other.

If this system had all the transactions in a database, then you could simply select the stock ticker symbol and the account and generate the securities detail screen or selecting all (wild card) stock ticker and the account and generate the register. In this case there could be no possible error since there is only one source of data.

rich

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 12 Jan, 2010 07:08 PM

Hi Rich

Batch change->Account on investment accounts breaks the integrity of investment accounts. It was never intended to be used on investment account and it is a bug that that feature is still present there.

Each investment account holds a list of security objects as well as the transactions. Each buy transaction points at a particular security object.

InvAccountA->TransactionA->SecurityA

When you batch change TransactionA into InvAccountB, TransactionA is still pointing at SecurityA

InvAccountB->TransactionA-|
                                                  |
    InvAccountA-------------> SecurityA

The portfolio view in InvAccountA calculates it output for all securities in InvAccountA based on the transactions that reference them.

If you create a new security in InvAccountB called SecurityB and then repoint the transaction at SecurityB by editing it in the register this should fix the portfolio view in both investment accounts.

InvAccountB->TransactionA->SecurityB
               |_____________________^

I am sorry that this bug has affected you.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

4. 4 Posted by rich on 12 Jan, 2010 07:37 PM

Thanks Ben,

Well I'm going to erase my MD file and try again to import from QB.

I'm not sure how the transactions from one QB account got into another one when I imported, I'll try to understand that this time, maybe by doing the accounts only (as I did the first time), then each QB account one by one.

Does MD use an established database ?

Is there any technical over view that I can read on how the system works ?

5. 5 Posted by Ben Spencer on 12 Jan, 2010 07:59 PM

Hi Rich

Moneydance does not use a database in the traditional sense. Rather it stores its data in an xml file which is then parsed to create an object hierarchy in memory. I am afraid I do not have a description of how the system works available but here is a link to the API if you are interested.

http://moneydance.com/dev/apidoc/index.html

Ben Spencer

6. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 07:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac