Cumulative balances in the $ trillions

Jonathan

30 Apr, 2021 02:42 AM

I have been using MD since before 2009, and have used many banks, accounts, opened and closed investments, loans, etc., etc.
Within the past year, however, account totals on the main screen have summed up into the trillions of dollars.
See the attached .pdf screen segment capture.
Everything else is ok, and this really has no impact on my use of the program. I suspect this was caused by old investments that I just deleted instead of properly reconciling, but my net worth never exceeded half a million at any point.
Is there a way to fix this, other than simply starting fresh with Jan 01, 2021 balances, for example?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 30 Apr, 2021 02:48 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Off the top of my head one thing I can think of to check is what the base currency is set to.

Take the menu path Tools --> Currencies and ensure the base currency is set correctly.

This being set incorrectly can result in what you are seeing.

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 30 Apr, 2021 06:46 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

If you are on MD2021, Try this. Get the latest preview build 3066. Download and install my extension net-account-balances. In the Config screen, select all accounts (not categories). Does that value (on the Home Screen widget) match the crazy total you are seeing? Report back with your findings.

If it does match, you can try selecting combinations of accounts to find the crazy balance.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

3. 3 Posted by mhoggie on 30 Apr, 2021 12:30 PM

just a user,

Your example does not look like the default reminders display on the summary. I don't find the total on the bottom as you show. Can you describe the source of your example? Seems like the issue is with amounts set up in your reminders.

4. 4 Posted by Jonathan on 02 May, 2021 05:00 PM

I don't have the tech skills to find and install preview builds, and fear really messing up the file by poking around in it. I have tracked data back to 2003, and find large balances in old 'inactive' accounts.
    I decided to start a new MD file, dated May 1, using the most recent bank account statements, and archived this $trillion database, in the event I want to search account activity prior to May 1, 2021.
    I will chalk this up to failure to properly account for investments and the transactions therein. Thanks to all for your input!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Crazy_balance_totals.pdf 46.1 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac