Merge Transactions after they are confirmed

jenkins007

02 May, 2021 11:44 AM

This is probably an update feature request. It would be very helpful if there was a way to merge transactions after one of them has been confirmed. The other transaction is manually entered, or really automatically via reminders. However, it should not matter how each transaction got there. This is probably a low priority item, but please put it on the list.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 03 May, 2021 01:44 AM

I'm not quite sure I understand. If you have a manually entered transaction, or one created from a reminder, or any source really, if you download a matching transaction from your bank, you should be able to merge that transaction with the existing one in the confirmation process.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by David Bach on 08 Jun, 2021 07:20 PM

Hello,
    I'm not yet a moneydance user, but I'm seeking clarification of this question before I get on board. Are transaction merges for similar/duplicates NOT possible after they have been added to the register? Is merging transactions in the register only possible in relation to transactions that are sitting in a queue reserved for related transactions that were just manually or automatically downloaded from a financial institution?
    Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Jun, 2021 07:25 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Merging works on any txns downloaded that have not yet been confirmed (or merged). Once they are confirmed (or merged) then that's it... But.... if you then download again (the same txns) then you can again do the confirm/merge... Does this help..

Put differently, you could for example, work manually for years, then download a OFX file from the bank and it will offer to confirm/merge all these downloaded...

(not support, just a fellow user)

4. 4 Posted by David Bach on 08 Jun, 2021 07:45 PM

That helps, but now I'm concerned that the workflow will be cumbersome when lots of transactions are involved with similar data. I'd prefer for existing and new transactions to just be sorted together by date order in the register so I can efficiently choose what matches with what, without bothering with a cumbersome interface with unnecessary little split-screens that wants to make questionable recommendations for me. Does that make sense? Can you share an opinion? Thanks.

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Jun, 2021 07:59 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Why not just try it. You can use the program for free to try it out.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac