not smart enough to install

Jerome Leavitt

17 Jan, 2010 01:43 PM

how to install in fedora?

1. 1 Posted by Jon Hoover on 17 Jan, 2010 04:31 PM

Jerome,
    I would love to help you get Moneydance installed. Would you be willing to tell me what you've tried so far and what you're getting stuck on so I can know how to direct the advice. This is the very short explanation of how to download that is on our download page, although certain browsers may get directed to a different page that does not include these instructions:
    This download assumes you already have Java installed. After the download is finished, double-click the Moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz file and extract its contents or run "tar xzf Moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz" from the command line, in the same directory as the downloaded file. You can then run Moneydance by double-clicking the "Moneydance" icon in the newly created folder.

Do you know if you have java installed?
    Let me know where you are at and we should be able to easily get this sorted out.
    ~Jon Hoover, Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by jrl on 18 Jan, 2010 12:58 PM

Hi Jon, Thanks for the reply.
    I get confused with all the slashes and letters when converting a tar
    file to something that will work. When I try to get help from one of the
    forums they assume that I have a basic knowledge, and I don't.
    Consequently I have no idea what they are talking about. Yesterday I
    found that "cd" means "change directory" - before that I didn't know
    that you could open a file in a directory! I know that I'm not alone in
    this when it comes to Linux or any open source stuff - I think most
    people will just keep dishing out money to Mac or MS. I think that if
    there was an easy way to learn a lot more people would be doing it.

I use the Linux link to download the program and basically there I get
    stuck. I double-click and open the file but when I double-click the
    icon, nothing happens. When I try to write to the command line I get "no
    such directory" or something similar. The machine is calling me stupid!
    Sorry to ramble on its hard to explain when you don't know what you're
    talking about to begin with.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Jerome

3. 3 Posted by cduzynski on 18 Jan, 2010 02:36 PM

Hello: I'm even worse.

I've screwed-up my Moneydance install and QIF data import so badly, I just want to start over (no worry about data loss, I've yet to pull the plug on my other checkbook app).

How do I either completely wipe all data from my current Moneydance install, or better, how do I completely uninstall Moneydance so I can reinstall it? I have my download link as well as my serial number for a reinstall.

Thanks

4. 4 Posted by Jon Hoover on 18 Jan, 2010 02:58 PM

Jerome,
    There is definitely a learning curve for Linux and I can understand the frustration as I was there too when I first started using Linux.
    So, you've downloaded the tar file. Do you know where it is located? If you used your web browser often a download box popped up when you downloaded and if you look there and it has a list and you right click on a file it will tell you where you downloaded the file. Alternatively, use your file browser to look around for where your file is, its most likely somewhere in your home folder.Probably somewhere like /home/your-username/ or /home/your-username/desktop or /home/your-username/downloads.

Okay, so once you have figured out where the Moneydance tar file is in your directory open up the command line. Use the cd function to go to that directory. Since hopefully you have figured out the full path of the location we can type everything in. So type cd /home/your-username or whatever the actual location is. When you open the terminal you are by default usually in your home directory. If you type pwd it will tell you where you are. But assuming you are not in the directory moneydance is in then go ahead and switch to it. Here is a neat trick for the command line. When you are trying to access specifc files or directories you can hit tab and it will auto-complete the entry if its obvious and if it is not it will give you a list of possible choices. For instance if you were typing '/ho' and hit tab, the command line would fill in the 'me' on '/home'. So have you found the directory the file is in yet? To be sure, type 'ls', it will give you a listing of the directory contents.

One you have the file type 'tar xzf Moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz' or 'tar xzf Moneydance_linux_x86wj.tar.gz' if you downloaded the copy that included java . It should create a new folder called 'Moneydance'. To see if it did, type 'ls'. If it is there type 'cd Moneydance'. (Don't forget everything in Linux is upper and lowercase sensitive.) In the Moneydance folder there should be a file called Moneydance. If you are usually your file browser you can probably double click it, if you are on the command line type './Moneydance'

If it is not running, do you know if you have Java installed? Type 'java' at the command line, does it give you a bunch of information about that function or does it say it can't find it or something similiar?

Let me know how far this gets you along. I'd definitely recommend going online and finding a list of common linux command line functions as that can be very helpful.
    Jon Hoover, Moneydance Support

5. 5 Posted by jrl on 18 Jan, 2010 04:32 PM

Jon I tried every way I could think of and still get "no such file or
    directory"

On 01/18/2010 09:58 AM, Jon Hoover wrote:
    > 'tar xzf Moneydance_linux_x86.tar.gz'

6. 6 Posted by Jon Hoover on 19 Jan, 2010 03:20 PM

So it seems like you still can't find your file. Try downloading the file again, and when you download right click on the file and there should be in the menu that pops up from your right click something that says 'save link as' or 'save target as'. Select that and use it to note, or indicate where exactly that is. Write it down, and if you can't find it after that tell me what you saved it to and I'll see if I can walk you through finding that location.
    Jon Hoover, Moneydance support

7. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 07:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac