Moving to Chromebook, but can't import files

wrwnc39

13 Jun, 2021 01:42 AM

When I start Moneydance, I have a choice to "import a new account set." However if I click this, all I get is a window with my email at the top. The files are on a flash drive, but I can't access the flash drive, and I can't figure where to transfer files from the flash drive.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 13 Jun, 2021 10:05 PM

Hello,

You should be able to move your filename.moneydance data set from your flash drive to wherever you want to keep it on your computer. After that, use the open other option from the Moneydance welcome screen or the menu bar (File -> Open -> Open Other) to select your filename.moneydance data set wherever you placed it.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 13 Jun, 2021 10:18 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I am not a Chromebook user but I seem to remember reading somewhere that its Linux support is within a container subsystem so there are some restrictions on accessing data outside of the subsystem.

3. 3 Posted by wrwnc39 on 14 Jun, 2021 03:40 AM

Ethan,

I realize I need first to determine what file to transfer. I have tried
    only to use an backup file: filename.2021-05-28.moneydancearchive which is
    generated whenever I close moneydance. I think there must another file
    which is open whenever moneydance is operating, but which I assume is saved
    as well when I exit moneydance. I don't know where to find that file.

I will attempt again to store the backup file.

Bill

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 14 Jun, 2021 04:27 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Moneydance does not store its data in one file. It is a library style of application, with multiple files.

For example the software has the ability to have transaction attachments in any number of formats, image files, PDFs, documents etc, it is not efficient and has performance implications to store all of this in one file. so attachments are encrypted and stored individually in a specific folder within the library.

With Moneydance supporting synchronization, transactions are initially stored in multiple small files making if efficient to copy the data between systems and to incorporate the transactions into Moneydance on any system it is running on.

Thus on Windows and Linux you see your data stored in a folder structure, you need this entire structure for Moneydance to work have all of your data. On macOS you see the data as a bundle, internally it is the same structure as the other systems. So to copy you data between systems you have to copy the entire structure.

The following article describes moving the data between systems:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/moving-to-a-new-computer

5. 5 Posted by wrwnc39 on 14 Jun, 2021 09:12 PM

Thanks,

I am all done transferring. Had not known about the file structure, but
    had also missed the files under my username. I'm getting used to the
    Chromebook, and as soon as I get accustomed to the limited file
    information, I think I will be happy I moved from Windows. It is
    lightning fast, and so far free from McAfee and other Windows annoyances.
     Im running Android on my phone, so life is much simpler this way.

Bill

6. Maddy closed this discussion on 15 Jun, 2021 08:57 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac