Deleting and re-importing transactions results in duplicate copies

Andrew

23 Jun, 2021 08:27 PM

This is on 2021.1 (3069).

I imported some investment-account transactions, edited them, then realized I'd made a mistake but I wasn't sure where. Rather than try to dig it up, I simply deleted the (still unconfirmed) transactions, intending to re-import them and start over.

On re-importing, they reappeared duplicated -- as if the deleted instances had been revived next to the "new" ones. Further attempts to delete and re-import produced triplicates, quadruplicates, etc.

I can sort it out by hand, or revert to a backup (I made one before starting), but I'm pretty sure this behavior is a bug so I'm reporting it anyway.

1. 1 Posted by Andrew on 23 Jun, 2021 08:53 PM

An observation: if I delete the transactions and then re-import them into a different account, the "undead" versions appear in the original account.

I'm importing from a .qfx file, for the record.

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 23 Jun, 2021 08:59 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

MD remembers the account to import into to. Are you sure it’s not just importing to the old account?

Toolbox. Advanced mode. OFX tools can reset the link for you.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

3. 3 Posted by Andrew on 23 Jun, 2021 09:43 PM

(tl;dr: my problem is fixed, but there is likely still a bug)

Yes, I'm sure. I get one copy of the transactions in the new account (named Test), and N copies in the old account, where N is the number of previous attempts to delete and re-import.

That said...I did manage to fix it with the toolbox (which I didn't know existed until just now, thank you!). Not by resetting the link, but by deleting cached OnlineTxnList records. I noticed that both the delete and view features stated that there should be no cached records -- yet the viewer indicated several hundred for the account in question.

Clearing that cache (via toolbox -> advanced -> Online banking tools -> Delete all cached onlinetxnlist records) stopped the ghost records from reappearing...at least on the next import. I notice that, having done so, there's once again 38 items in the cache, matching the 38 transactions I'm importing. I have a sinking feeling that something is still wrong.

I noticed an exception in the console log. I don't know if it's relevant, but I guess I could see an exception bypassing some sort of post-import cache-cleanup?

ratios (1): 06-23 17:13:45.543|Error computing ratios: null
    java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
        at java.base/java.util.HashMap$HashIterator.nextNode(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.HashMap$ValueIterator.next(Unknown Source)
        at com.infinitekind.moneydance.model.TxnIterator.fetchNextSplit(TxnIterator.java:53)
        at com.infinitekind.moneydance.model.TxnIterator.hasNext(TxnIterator.java:42)
        at com.moneydance.modules.features.ratios.RatioCompute.computeTxnBasedValues(RatioCompute.java:298)
        at com.moneydance.modules.features.ratios.RatioCompute.computeRatios(RatioCompute.java:46)
        at com.moneydance.modules.features.ratios.RatiosExtensionModel$BackgroundRecalculateTask.run(RatiosExtensionModel.java:377)
        at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Jun, 2021 05:31 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

There is a problem with the ratios extension and build 3069. We need the author to fix it. If you’re not using it, remove that.

Deleting the cached OnlineTxnList records is a good and safe fix. There should be none. You are correct, there is a bug somewhere that leaves these behind. Hence the toolbox fix.

Toolbox 🧰 +1 😃

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac