File corruption

martinfennsmith

21 Jul, 2021 09:12 PM

I run Moneydance on my MacMini and use it with 4 different sets of accounts. One of these is shared with three other users via Dropbox and a second is shared with my MacBook.

Yesterday when I opened the 4-way shared accounts the relationship between the categories and the bank accounts was corrupted. A new bank account had appeared with a long 36 character filename (9f3c345b-6ff7-4b93-bd11-1f8cc9ae6489) and about half my many (200+) categories were showing this new 'bank account' as the parent category. The individual categories were thankfully listing their original transactions. I've been able to edit the corrupted parent categories back to where they should be - very time-consuming - but I would like your views on what might have caused this to happen and how I might prevent it happening again.

My co-workers have assured me that they haven't used Moneydance on their machines since before the last time that I saw the file in its un-corrupted form a few days ago.

A couple of supplementary questions now please:

When I open the 'on the web' copy of my Dropbox Folder on and look at the .moneydance sync folder it contains 5 subfolders. Two are empty and a third contains well over 50 text files (some with a .txt extension, some without an extension) most named mdata-v1 (Martin Fenn-Smith's conflicted copy20xx-mm-dd) but others similarly named for another user. The fourth and 5th contain just a few files - fewer than 6 in each.

Second, these files are all showing that they are shared with four users. Does this indicate that any of the four users can view *any* of my four sets of accounts? If sohow can I get round this? I really don't want to give them access to my personal accounts.

Please advise.

1. 1 Posted by sth on 24 Jul, 2021 07:47 PM

It has been advised strongly never to store your primary data file on a shared folder or a network drive. The structure of the MD data file is a lot of small transaction files and they can get corrupted or out of sync on a network drive.

If you want to share an account, it is suggested that you use the built in sync function using the "Dropbox folder" method.
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data

Advice - do not use dropbox or other shared network folders to share accounts. Use the built in sync function and set a different password for each account.
    (NOT IK Support)

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 24 Jul, 2021 11:17 PM

When you use syncing, all data on Dropbox is encrypted, only by knowing the syncing password can anyone gain access to the information. File permissions are not being used in Moneydance.

Seeing a "Restored account ..." is really just a surfacing of an inconsistency in the data that may have been there for quite some time and just not visible.

These accounts are generally caused by Moneydance encountering something that refers to a category or account that is no longer present. These references can be from a transaction, reminder, or sub-account. Because MD does not know the name of the category/account, it only has the ID number, it uses that to create the "Restored" accounts and uses this ID as part of the account name.

The number of subfolders under moneydancesync indicates the number of syncing data sets that have been created over time. The alphanumeric name of the folder is the internal unique ID of the data set.

3. 3 Posted by martinfennsmith on 25 Jul, 2021 11:33 AM

Thanks to both sth and dwg for their responses. For sth, the Sync Method in use is Dropbox Folder.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac