Budget BUG

JFG

10 Aug, 2021 03:00 PM

This is so frustrating with the Moneydance support team. I reported this bug in 2019 - no reply. I reported it again in 2020 - no reply. I attached a reminder in March and April of this year - no reply. In the meantime, many smaller issues are resolved. Who determines the priority? Because it's certainly not based on severity or the accuracy of reports. I have been a registered user of Moneydance since 2010, the program is second to none in terms of functionality, but WHY OH WHY does the support team not even reply to bug reports?!?

THE BUG... Hoping this time it will be picked-up, prioritised above font colours, and resolved...

My base currency is Euro (€), and I have a sub-category which is in Canadian dollars ($). In my mixed-intervals budget for this year, I budgeted $2805.30 annual non-prorated income on this sub-account.

Actual income is $2805.30, so its budget bar should be 100% and green, but instead in the budget manager it displays as partial/amber, and on the homepage the budget bar is also partial/amber, showing 68.5% of budget.

Moneydance displays 1921.07 in the Euro-based parent category (the conversion based on today's exchange rate) instead of 1892.86 (conversion based on the rate entered in the transaction). It's this value of 1921.07 which appears to be used to determine the size of the bar, i.e. 1921.07 is 68.5% of 2805.30, so the bars display as 68.5% of budget.

Attached are 4 images:

• image #1 "budget.jpg" is how the amount displays in the budget manager.
  • image #2 "home budgetbars.jpg" is how the amount displays on the home page.
  • image #3 "account.jpg" show the amount as deposited to my €-based account.
  • image #4 "category.jpg" shows the amount as entered into the CAD-based category, and the conversion based on today's exchange rate in the parent category (see the updated category.jpg image in my next post).

FYI: Changing the display from "year to date" to "this year" makes no difference, because of course the budget item is "annual (not prorated)".

So, to be clear, this is a BUG report, not a feature request:

• Images 1 & 2 - the two budget bars are simply wrong - i.e. bugs. $2805.30 is not 68.5% of $2805.30.
  • the budget bars which are expressed in CAD and displaying CAD, are not subject to exchange rates. In other words, if an income category has CAD as base, the budget for that category is CAD100, and the budget bar is displaying CAD, then if there has been CAD100 as income on that category, then the budget bar should be green and 100% full.
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 10 Aug, 2021 03:09 PM

Hi,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.
    Also, please accept my sincere apologies for the luck of response.

Which version and build of Moneydance are you using?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance, where the version and build number will be displayed.

Can you let me know which operating system you're running on your computer/s?

Thank you

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by JFG on 10 Aug, 2021 03:20 PM

This bug has been present since at least 2019, but it is still present in Moneydance 2021.2 build 3093. Running on Windows 10.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 10 Aug, 2021 03:24 PM

Thank you for the additional information.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've encountered. I’m sorry to keep you waiting, but I’d like to run your query past the development team who may be able to provide further information.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by JFG on 13 Aug, 2021 02:25 PM

Hi Maddy... Any news?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Sean Reilly on 14 Aug, 2021 10:45 AM

I'm sorry for the delay on this. I have now reproduced the bug on my side and will have a fix out shortly.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

6. 6 Posted by JFG on 14 Aug, 2021 01:05 PM

Thanks Sean, that's great news (I have several categories with income/expenses from multiple countries).

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Sean Reilly on 14 Aug, 2021 02:46 PM

One more update... the fix is done and will be included in build 3094 which should be at the following link sometime in the next hour:
    https://infinitekind.com/preview

If you try it out could you please let me know if it doesn't solve the problem, or if you encounter any other problems with the budget? I'm a bit embarrassed by how badly the budget bar code was handling non-base currency categories!

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

8. 8 Posted by JFG on 14 Aug, 2021 04:09 PM

@Sean - Hi Sean, The bars in the budget manager seem to be correct now,
    But the budget bars on the summary page still have a problem - although it's now the reverse of before.

Attached is a pic of the bars on the summary page... the first bar is the € parent account with no entry in the budget), the second bar is the Canadian $ sub-account which has a budget entry of $3430. For the purposes of this test, there are no other sub-accounts. The € bar is now displaying exactly the same value as the CDN$ bar. For the purpose of this test, the exchange rate is .667, so the € amount should be 2286.67. So the colour of the parent bar is 66.7% of €3430, but it SHOULD be 100% of €2286.67.

9. 9 Posted by JFG on 14 Aug, 2021 04:45 PM

To make things a little clearer, I've created a minimal MD set, with a € base, a € income category with a CDN$ sub-category, and a budget for the CAD amount. The budget bar in the budget manager now displays correctly, but the budget bars on the summary page are now wrong.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Sean Reilly on 14 Aug, 2021 10:26 PM

Thanks for the detailed description as well as the sample file - that really helped! I see the problem - the roll-up which is only done on the budget bars and not the budget manager wasn't handling the mixed currency totalling properly. I've just fixed it for build 3095 which will be available on the same link as before either in an hour or two, or early tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Sean

11. 11 Posted by JFG on 15 Aug, 2021 05:11 PM

Thanks! As soon as the update becomes available I'll check it out thoroughly and let you know.

12. 12 Posted by JFG on 16 Aug, 2021 08:49 AM

@Sean - just a note: it's Monday and the update still hasn't appeared. Have you delayed publishing it for more work, or did something go wrong?

13. 13 Posted by JFG on 17 Aug, 2021 07:25 PM

@Sean - I've tested build 3095 and both the budget bars and the budget manager are displaying properly. Thanks!

14. JFG closed this discussion on 17 Aug, 2021 07:25 PM.

15. Sean Reilly re-opened this discussion on 17 Aug, 2021 07:27 PM

16. Support Staff 14 Posted by Sean Reilly on 17 Aug, 2021 07:27 PM

Sorry about the delay getting that to you. I had hoped to include some other changes too, but will push those out later. I'm glad it's working for you!

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

17. Sean Reilly closed this discussion on 17 Aug, 2021 07:27 PM.

18. JFG re-opened this discussion on 29 Sep, 2021 12:34 PM

19. 15 Posted by JFG on 29 Sep, 2021 12:34 PM

@Sean - I just noticed another probably related issue, and that is in the roll-up budget bars at the top of the summary page. My principle currency is €, but I have a category/budget-item which is in $CDN. The budgeted amount is $3430 which thanks to your fix now displays correctly in the budget bars, but in the roll-up bars at the top of the summary page it is displayed/calculated as 3430. See example pic "md1.jpg".

20. 16 Posted by JFG on 12 Oct, 2021 07:38 AM

@Sean Reilly - Hi Sean,
    This 'last part' of the bug (reported in post 15 above) is still present in Moneydance 2022 build 4054 (release version). Hopefully you'll have time to fix it :-)

21. Support Staff 17 Posted by Sean Reilly on 12 Oct, 2021 08:36 AM

Ah, sorry I completely missed that one! I will try to get to it soon.

Thanks,
    Sean

22. 18 Posted by JFG on 12 Nov, 2021 09:01 AM

@Sean Reilly - Hi Sean, Don't forget me! :-)
    This 'last part' of the bug is still present in Moneydance 2022 build 4060 (release version).

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• budget.jpg 35.3 KB
  • home_budgetbars.jpg 25.5 KB
  • account.jpg 70.2 KB
  • category.jpg 151 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac