Overnight significant variation in Net Worth Calculation compared with one asset account

Jonathan

01 Sep, 2021 08:56 AM

Hi,
The portfolio valuation of one investment account in Money Dance is showing one valuation (which matches reports from the asset manager), but when running the overall net worth sub routine, MD triples the valuation of that account. Asset prices are all in one currency (GBP) and reported in the same. No asset prices are any different and the bank register is not showing any difference in cash levels.

Running the net worth report (not graph) shows that the variation occurs on 29th August. No transactions took place, Asset prices are correct. Cash levels are correct. Yet the report shows a major variation in asset account value (from around £150,000 to over £450,000) when running the net worth function - yet the portfolio shows the correct lower figure.

Advice and ideas please!

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Sep, 2021 03:35 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Check tools/securities and ensure you have both a current price and a recent dated price and that they are both the same?

2. 2 Posted by Jonathan on 23 Sep, 2021 12:09 PM

Hi,
    Apologies - work! Yes all correct. I have since reverted to a restored archive and the problems continue. Now an investment account shows zero cash balance on the investment (bank register tab) side with the cash in a separate bank account which is correct,- but the summary of the account shows the cash balance and the investment added together. This looks like a software error to me as the reconciliation functions are not working correctly.

My next step is to re-download moneydance and then restore a backup. There are no security price issues having audited them all. This is MD failing to add up correctly.
    Any other suggestions other than to re-download MD?

3. 3 Posted by Jonathan on 23 Sep, 2021 12:14 PM

that should say 'summary of the investment account' - just for clarity!

4. 4 Posted by sth on 25 Sep, 2021 02:52 PM

Downloading a new copy of MD will not fix this. This is a problem in your data file.
    I am not clear which report is the problem. The reports do use somewhat different data. There is the left hand pane display and the networth at the top of the summary page.

There is a "Networth" report and a "Portfolio" report. It seems that you have a problem that shows up on the 29th of august in the Networth report on that date and no other? The August 28th and August 30th reports are fine?

The Portfolio report does not show this anomaly on August 29th?

Have I described the issue correctly?

Note Portfolio only reports on Investment Accounts and not Bank Accounts, Credit Cars or Assets. This should narrow down which account is causing the issue on 8/29.

Did any investment have a stock split that day? If it had the old pre split price it may show an excessive value for that day.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac