How can I restore from a backup on a USB stick?

John Morris

13 Sep, 2021 05:29 AM

Dear Moneydance, I have been happily using Moneydance 2017 since I purchased it on 10 Feb 2017 on my MacBook Air. Recently my MacBook failed to boot up and when I got it back from the repairers Moneydance was no longer there, but I found it in "Finder, downloads" and have managed to reinstalled it. But none of my data is in it. Fortunately I had regularly backed up through "File, Export Backup" to a USB data stick. The latest backup file on the USB stick when viewed in Finder shows the name: Personal Finances-20210724-1156 12.3MB Unix executable". When I plug in the USB stick to the MacBook and click on "File, Restore from Backup" a widow opens up with an icon that seems to be the file I want but I can't select it and can't progress further. Do I need to rename the file I want in Finder? or ?
Please can you help?
Best regards,
John

1. 1 Posted by John Morris on 13 Sep, 2021 05:38 AM

I'm not sure how to rename the file as I don't want to do something that means that I can't retrieve my 5 years of data.
    John

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 13 Sep, 2021 07:33 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

If you are talking about the dataset then with MD closed, find the xxx.moneydance file(package) in finder and rename it to anything.moneydance. Double click the file to launch and open.

3. 3 Posted by Leonie Morris on 13 Sep, 2021 09:48 AM

Thank you Stuart, John

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 13 Sep, 2021 10:04 AM

Hi John and Leonie,

I can see you’ve received a reply from one of our knowledgeable Moneydance customers. To add to this useful information I thought it's worth mentioning that the steps for safely renaming your files are also outlined in this article.

Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. Maddy closed this discussion on 13 Sep, 2021 10:04 AM.

6. John Morris re-opened this discussion on 15 Sep, 2021 07:08 AM

7. 5 Posted by John Morris on 15 Sep, 2021 07:08 AM

Dear Maddy (and Stuart), Please see my note above of Sep 13 2021 of 3.29PM.
    I have renamed the file by simply adding .moneydance to "Personal Finances-20210724-1156" and have copied it into Finder Documents (but still have the original "backup" on the USB stick). When I open Moneydance and click on either the "Open Other" option or "Restore from Backup" a Finder window opens and I can see the file I want in the list in "Documents" with a little Moneydance Icon next to it but the lettering is very light grey and I can't select it (nothing changes when I click on it! So I'm still looking for your help. Thanks, John.

8. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 15 Sep, 2021 07:14 AM

I’ve somewhat lost track of what your problem now is?

You should not rename a .moneydancearchive file to .moneydance !

You need to either double click the file, or in MD do file/restore from backup on this file.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 15 Sep, 2021 08:42 AM

Firstly, I agree with what Stuart said in post 6 of this thread.

Also, a greyed out file often suggests that the file is not stored in the default location.

To clarify:
    An automatic backup file should be in the format: FileName.Date.Moneydancearchive and it can be opened using File —> Restore from Backup or ‘Import New Account Set’ from the Welcome window.

A data file should be in the format: FileName.moneydance and it can be opened using File —> Open or ‘Open Other’ from the Welcome window.

Did you copy the file to the default location before attempting to open it?

If the problem persists, please feel free to send us your Moneydance error logs, the logs should include information on what might be causing an issue.

They are saved on your computer as an errlog.txt file.

You can get to your error logs as follow:

1) navigate to Help->Console Window to show the console log in a window

or

2) in the Finder, press ⌘⇧G and then copy and paste ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support into the field and press enter/return.

At that point the finder will show an internal folder which contains the errlog.txt file which contains the log.

Finally you can paste the content to your next reply.

Thank you

--

10. 8 Posted by User on 19 Sep, 2021 06:33 AM

Dear Maddy,
    To recap a bit: after my MacBook Air failed to open and the local computer “expert” (I couldn’t get to the Apple Shop due to Covid 19 Lockdown here in Melbourne Australia) returned it to me having “Reinstalled MacOS and backup data” I now have a Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15. I found Moneydance in among the Finder Documents and having discovered my original product activation code among my papers I seem to have successfully reinstalled Moneydance Version 2017.2(1597) on my MacBook. So far so good?

Of course the reinstalled version of Moneydance has none of my Accounts, etc. filled in, but I assumed that all that data would be on the USB Flash Drive which I had used before the failure to backup my data using: “File, Export Backup” and received the advice from my Moneydance: “Your data was exported successfully”. When I look at the USB Flash Drive in Finder it tells me that I have a file on it: “Personal Finances-20210724-1156 12.3MB UNIX executable” which I assume means that it contains 12.3 MB of my data dated July 24 2021 at 11.56 AM. So Far so good, now?

But now I had the dilemma of getting the data from the USB Flash Drive into the now empty copy of Moneydance on my MacBook. Back in February 2017 the only Moneydance User guide I could find was dated January 6, 2015. I consulted that to see if it told me how to repopulate my Moneydance with the data held on my USB Flash Drive and on page 98 it said “Rename the backup file so the file extension is .zip” that worried me with what I had so I turned to you (and Stuart) for help and you both have said nothing about somehow creating a .zip file but you have talked about the file being in the “default file location”, but I can’t find that, perhaps you are talking about the automatic backup that was created by Moneydance when I closed it down, but I am assuming that that file would have been lost when the local computer expert reinstalled the MacOS. However you will understand that much better than me!

So, Maddy, you asked me to copy the error logs and send them to you. I seem to have achieved that, so here they are:

Starting Moneydance 2017.2 (1597) at Sun Sep 19 13:34:38 AEST 2021
    Settings Folder: /Users/user/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance
    Java: 1.8.0_112 (Oracle Corporation)
    Is in sandbox: true; restricted file access: false
    Initializing Moneydance SSL
    Created new custom trust manager
    TRUSTMGR: initialized custom stream handler factory...
    initialised mono font: java.awt.Font[family=Gill Sans,name=Gill Sans,style=plain,size=13]
    initialised fonts:
    base=java.awt.Font[family=Helvetica Neue,name=Helvetica Neue,style=plain,size=13];
    numeric=java.awt.Font[family=Gill Sans,name=Gill Sans,style=plain,size=13];
    register=java.awt.Font[family=Dialog,name=Helvetica Regular,style=plain,size=12];
    header=java.awt.Font[family=Helvetica Neue,name=Helvetica Neue,style=plain,size=15]
    multires images available: true
    error loading properties for theme custom from URL: file:/Users/user/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application%20Support/Moneydance/custom_theme.properties error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/user/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/custom_theme.properties (No such file or directory)
    initialised mono font: java.awt.Font[family=Gill Sans,name=Gill Sans,style=plain,size=13]
    opening last file: Personal Finances
    loading dataset: /Users/user/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents/Personal Finances.moneydance
    loading with 128 bit encryption key
    reading trunk data tiksync/trunk
    trunk data loaded (0.034 seconds), checking for incremental updates
    replacing root: null () with new root: Personal Finances (a038cb28-ce08-41e5-aa6a-f1f2dd19fc98
    balances recalculated in 0.005 seconds
    dropbox folder should be at /Users/user/Dropbox and exists=false
    balances recalculated in 0.0 seconds
    Beginning shutdown process
    waiting for background tasks to complete...
    backing up file...
    saving automatic backup file: /Users/user/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/archive/backups/Personal Finances.2021-09-19.moneydancearchive
    finished backing up file; now to remove expired backups...
    completed removal of expired backups
    Tasks complete. Goodbye!

Looking forward to your reply,
    Best Regards,
    John Morris

11. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Sep, 2021 10:43 AM

John,

The USB file you referred to as: "Personal Finances-20210724-1156 12.3MB UNIX executable” should in fact have a file extension of .moneydancearchive.

(This under the covers is actually a ZIP file, but don't worry about this).

In Finder, if you select the file and then do CMD-I, or File, Get Info, does it show you the file extension?

You should copy this file, untouched, to your local drive.

Then in Moneydance. Menu, File, Restore from backup, and select this file..

What happens?

(not support, just a fellow user)

12. 10 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Sep, 2021 10:43 AM

(or with moneydance running, double-click this file to auto-start the restore).

13. 11 Posted by User on 20 Sep, 2021 07:40 AM

Thank you Stuart,
    When I select the file in Finder and do “File, Get Info” it shows under the heading “Name & Extension” just “Personal Finances-20210724-1156”. It does not show any extension.
    Thanks again for your time and interest,
    John

14. 12 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 20 Sep, 2021 08:19 AM

Ok. Try copying to local drive, renaming it and add back the .moneydancearchive extension and try the restore from backup again.

15. Support Staff 13 Posted by Maddy on 20 Sep, 2021 08:33 AM

Hi John,

Normally, we recommend running (at least) Moneydance 2020.2 (1929) on Catalina and I believe the version you have installed (Moneydance 2017.2 (1597) being outdated might be a factor, in this case. Could you try downloading and installing Moneydance 2020 from this page. This is a free upgrade for you but you might be prompted to enter your license key again. (I resent it to your email address today).

Then, try following the steps in post 12 of this thread.

Hopefully it will work this time. Alternatively, please let us know and I will refer your query to the development team for further assistance.

--

16. 14 Posted by User on 20 Sep, 2021 10:14 AM

Hi and thanks Maddy, but the backup data I have is from my original 2017.2 version so is it going to be compatible with the new 2020.2 version? Just thought I needed to check before I do anything.
    Regards,
    John

17. Support Staff 15 Posted by Maddy on 20 Sep, 2021 10:27 AM

Thank you for double checking, John!
    Since 2015 the file format has been the same and it can be opened in the newer versions seamlessly. So, I would recommend installing the update first (this will prevent issues with your operating system), copying the data file from the USB into you local drive, then rename Personal Finances-20210724-1156 to add the file extension .moneydancearchive. Finally proceed to restore from a backup by navigating to File —> Restore from Backup or Import New Account Set’ from the Welcome window.

--

18. 16 Posted by User on 21 Sep, 2021 01:57 AM

Thanks a Million Maddy,
    I have paid the update fee and have now installed Version 2021.1(3069) and following your instructions below have successfully imported the data from my USB Flash Drive. I have done a new backup onto the USB Flash Drive and I can now see that the new format of the file includes the extension that both you and Stuart were talking about right from the start but which confused me!
    Thanks again for keeping with me to a successful conclusion.
    Best regards,
    John

19. 17 Posted by User on 21 Sep, 2021 01:59 AM

Thanks for all your help Stuart, I have reached a satisfactory result!!!!!
    Best regards,
    John

20. Support Staff 18 Posted by Maddy on 22 Sep, 2021 08:46 AM

Thank you for reporting back John!

Also, thank you for purchasing an upgrade to latest version.
    I'm very pleased to hear that the problem seems to be resolved now.

I'll close this discussion for now, but do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--

21. Maddy closed this discussion on 22 Sep, 2021 08:46 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac