Transferring MD Data File Between Windows & MAC

steve

21 Jan, 2010 10:29 PM

This one has me nervous. For about the last ten days I have been entering the data from Money that I wanted to pull forward into MD (a few hundred transactions). Both a windows version of MD and Money have been coexisting on my windows partition as I have been laboring through this process. Periodically, I would save the file to a CD, reboot in the MAC partition where I also have MD, and replace the current data file for MD on the MAC with the updated one from the windows side. And that worked fine until last night. As I am nearly done with this process of recreating my data in MD, I tried to do the same replacement and ran into a host of problems. Some messages said that the file was corrupt or couldn't be read. And when I finally got it to load directly from the CD, I got some Java message indicating it couldn't be launched. Yet this file works fine with MD on the windows side and I don't think this is a problem with the media. What am I doing wrong here. The whole point of this endeavor is to run my personal finances with the MAC OS.

Starting Moneydance 2010r2 (735)
Settings Folder: /Users/steve/.moneydance
Java: 1.6.0_17 (Apple Inc.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 Jan, 2010 11:22 PM

The file format for Moneydance data files is identical regardless of the operating system being used. Are you certain that in your last transfer via CD you copied the correct file? In order to remove the media from the equation please try emailing the data file to your sef as an attachment. Then download that email when you have booted in to the Mac operating system.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by steve on 22 Jan, 2010 09:45 PM

That was it. It was a media problem after all. Whew! Thanks so much!

3. 3 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 23 Jan, 2010 01:34 AM

Glad to hear it!

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac