Clearing wrong transaction

sgkane

23 Jan, 2010 12:49 AM

I have two transactions, both $100. One has cleared the bank, the other has not. The check mark in the register is correct. Each time I reconcile the account the uncleared transaction has a diamond mark, as if cleared. I must uncheck the mark each time. Additionally, the uncleared transaction has the little "i" in the register, while the cleared transaction does not have the little "i." I believe Moneydance has confused the two and until the second transaction actually clears I will have to continually uncheck the diamond mark each time. Any ideas to fix this?

1. 1 Posted by sgkane on 23 Jan, 2010 02:55 PM

I believe I have fixed my own error. I "reversed" the information by editing each transaction with the other transactions's information--not deleting either one but editing. It appears I mis-matched upon download. BUT, why would an uncleared check (with entered check number) become a match for a bill pay item with a different date and no check number in the first place (albeit same amount)?

2. 2 Posted by Randy on 23 Jan, 2010 03:28 PM

Amount is heavily weighed in the transaction matching algorithm. It leads to the situation you have encountered.

Moneydance doesn't have any logic to handle dissimilar amounts, so it overcompensates for equal amounts by matching them (often incorrectly), IMHO. If you need more info, their are a couple of very long threads on matching downloaded transactions where this subject has been discussed ad nauseum.

An improvement in the transaction matching process is supposed to be coming soon. It isn't clear whether this will be addressed.

By the way, the little blue i just means that the transaction was downloaded. If you also have a little blue circle, it means that it is "unconfirmed", meaning that you haven't reviewed and accepted it yet.

3. 3 Posted by sgkane on 23 Jan, 2010 04:37 PM

Thanks! I read that looooong thread. From there I learned to adjust the matching/merging operation in the preferences-->network tab. After shopping later today I will see what happens!! BTW--this is a very handy forum.

4. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 01 Mar, 2010 06:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac