OPEN FILE

peter quaranta

14 Oct, 2021 09:51 PM

hello,
md will not open my file

1. 1 Posted by peter quaranta on 14 Oct, 2021 10:06 PM

hello,
    after following instructions md does not open file. opens to welcome window where i have to choose 'other' find the file and then it will open. followed instructions again and it did not work.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 15 Oct, 2021 12:44 PM

Hi Peter,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

What you are describing sounds rather unusual. I can see in your screenshot that you have Re-open Last File - When Starting selected.

So, if might be worth trying resetting your Moneydance preferences and see if that fixes the issue that you're seeing? To do this, you have to rename your config.dict file.

Please take note of your license key and save it, separately as you will need to re-register later.

If you're using Mac OS X, the file should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

or:

~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go --> Go to Folder --> and copy and paste in exactly the following:

~/Library

This will pull up your local Library folder, and you can navigate to the locations above.

Once you've found your config.dict file, close Moneydance ensure it's closed fully. Then rename the file to config2.dict

Once you've done this, open Moneydance again. It will appear as though you've just installed the program for the first time, so you'll see the Welcome window.
    Your data file should be listed on the right of the window. If not, choose 'Open Other' and navigate to your data file.
    When you're viewing your data file, choose Help --> Register Moneydance and input your license key.

If you run into any problems, you can simply close Moneydance and rename the original file back to config.dict. Then open Moneydance again to restore your original settings.

If this doesn't seem to help either, could you please ensure that your data is definitely stored in the default location?

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 16 Oct, 2021 07:45 PM

Hello,
    Thank you for responding,

Can not find config.dat, searched all. I know it has to be there but……

My data is stored in my apple documents folder, nothing is stored in the default location.

Needed to do so, to make it easier to access, the data file is also shared between 2 computers where info is recorded, check book, etc..

This has been working for a long time I have no idea why I am having trouble. The program is fantastic.

When I go to my apple documents folder and right click the data file it opens, I have no problem. The problem only exits when I click on the application icon in my dock or in my application folder.

Also, following instructions, when I go to other and click on open the data opens but the browser closes

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 16 Oct, 2021 07:51 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

It’s called ‘config.dict’ not .dat.

5. 5 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 17 Oct, 2021 12:06 AM

Thanks, just an e mail typo sorry

6. 6 Posted by sth on 17 Oct, 2021 02:14 AM

Yes, it sounds like the config.dict file is corrupted and it can't find the last file opened.

Also having a "data file is also shared between 2 computers where info is recorded, check book, etc.." is highly likely to end up in a corrupt file. Just the necessity of opening the file as a non-local file on a second computer is not a good idea.

I suggest that you use one of the file sync methods that avoids the problems of network access lag to share data between two computers/devices.

7. 7 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 17 Oct, 2021 04:55 PM

On Oct 16, 2021, at 10:14 PM, sth <[email blocked]> wrote:

yes agreed and thank you for your reply. I did use one of the sync methods that’s why on my other computer when I click on the md icon I have no problems accessing the file, normal opening. The file that is opening is *********.moneydance. when clicking on the md icon on my computer it opens the welcome screen with my file listed in the right hand col., however I am forced to ,browse, to my file then click and the it opens. Mu workaround for now is just to navigate to my file double click and away we go. Everything was fine till a couple of days ago when I think I received an update. 

Yes, it sounds like the config.dict file is corrupted and it can't find the last file opened.

Also having a "data file is also shared between 2 computers where info is recorded, check book, etc.." is highly likely to end up in a corrupt file. Just the necessity of opening the file as a non-local file on a second computer is not a good idea.

I suggest that you use one of the file sync methods that avoids the problems of network access lag to share data between two computers/devices.

On Sat, Oct 16 at 05:06 PM PDT, PETER QUARANTA wrote:

Thanks, just an e mail typo sorry

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: OPEN FILE.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

8. 8 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 17 Oct, 2021 04:56 PM

On Oct 16, 2021, at 3:51 PM, Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’ <[email blocked]> wrote:

//Thanks, just an e mail typo sorry

9. 9 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 17 Oct, 2021 11:55 PM

On Oct 15, 2021, at 8:44 AM, Maddy <[email blocked]> wrote:

//hello, please read below e mails from very nice persons trying to help me, please notice my remarks thank you

10. 10 Posted by sth on 18 Oct, 2021 01:51 AM

The "files to open" list on the welcome screen and the last file opened are in the config.dict file. If that is working oddly I am going to suggest that file is the issue. As was suggest by Maddy in #2 with MD closed, try finding that file in the Library/Containers hierarchy and move it to the desktop. Then open MD and the file will not be opened. Set the preferences back to the way you like them and open your file in the "Other" method. Set MD to open the last open file again.

You may have to reset a lot of preferences that are in that config.dict file.

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 18 Oct, 2021 06:42 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

What version of MD? If on MD2021.1 or later, then install and run Toolbox extension.. Click Open MD Folder (top right on toolbar), select Show Preferences (Config.dict) folder.. What happens?

and or , click general tools, view MD Config File....

12. 12 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 18 Oct, 2021 03:39 PM

On Oct 17, 2021, at 9:51 PM, sth <[email blocked]> wrote:

Hello and thank you followed your instructions, same result. Window opens showing my file top right hand corner, try to right click and here is the message I received

===============================================

Needed to ‘open other’ , choose my file to open

The "files to open" list on the welcome screen and the last file opened are in the config.dict file. If that is working oddly I am going to suggest that file is the issue. As was suggest by Maddy in #2 with MD closed, try finding that file in the Library/Containers hierarchy and move it to the desktop. Then open MD and the file will not be opened. Set the preferences back to the way you like them and open your file in the "Other" method. Set MD to open the last open file again.

You may have to reset a lot of preferences that are in that config.dict file.

On Sun, Oct 17 at 04:55 PM PDT, PETER QUARANTA wrote:

On Oct 15, 2021, at 8:44 AM, Maddy <[email blocked]> wrote:

//hello, please read below e mails from very nice persons trying to help me, please notice my remarks thank you

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: OPEN FILE.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

13. 13 Posted by sth on 18 Oct, 2021 03:56 PM

Thanks for the screen shot. It may be that you opened this file from another account and this account no longer has access? The "Operation not permitted" seems to imply there is a file permissions issue.

Go to your file, select it and use "Finder->File->Get Info" for the information window.

Make sure that your login has "Read & Write" permissions on the bottom item in that window.

Click on the lock icon on the bottom right and enter your password when requested.

Then select the gear like dropdown icon next to the +/- buttons. Select "Apply to Enclosed Items".

14. 14 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 18 Oct, 2021 09:33 PM

On Oct 18, 2021, at 11:56 AM, sth <[email blocked]> wrote:

Thank you again, really appreciate it. All were read and write. plse note that this file does not live in the default location. It was changed due to syncing for 2 computers.
    It lives in the normal apple document folder. Here is the best part when I use the other computer there is no problem

15. 15 Posted by sth on 18 Oct, 2021 09:42 PM

I do not keep my file in the default location either. BUT any syncing is using the built in MD sync function and not a network function, no iCloud, no Dropbox, no NAS, no fileshareing etc. The MD sync should not care where your file is stored and so that leads me to think that you are doing some other syncing than the built in MD sync.

One computer will always be primary and one as secondary.

The "other computer" should be opening a separate file. That file on the secondary computer may or may not be in the default location but the secondary computer opens it fine since it knows where it is. I don't see this as an issue IF you are using the MD sync feature.

When you say "all were read and write" I have trouble believing that you checked every file in the MD data file bundle which can be several thousand files. Did you do this with the terminal "find" command?

16. 16 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 18 Oct, 2021 11:46 PM

On Oct 18, 2021, at 5:43 PM, sth <[email blocked]> wrote:

Hello, as stated previously I clicked on file to ,get info, which opens a column and on the bottom all are read and write.
    Yes I used MD sync function
    I don’t understand about checking every file in the MD data file bundle. Did not use terminal
    What I don’t get is why after I think upgrade

17. 17 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 19 Oct, 2021 01:39 PM

On Oct 18, 2021, at 2:42 AM, Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’ <[email blocked]> wrote:

Thank you for your reply, MD 2022, open MD folder ok, preferences ok long list

18. 18 Posted by sth on 19 Oct, 2021 02:20 PM

@Peter, Now I understand what you meant by "all". Yes, there are three permissions, but did you do the step where you click on the little options "gear" on bottom and apply those permissions to ALL enclosed files?

What looks like a single file of MD data is actually a folder of folders of lots of files. They are "bundled" together to look like a single file. All applications are like this as well. This is a weird Apple thing.

If you right-click (control-click) on the MD datafile you will get an option to "Show Package Contents" that allows you to explore this bundle of files in the Finder.

19. 19 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 19 Oct, 2021 03:25 PM

On Oct 19, 2021, at 10:20 AM, sth <[email blocked]> wrote:

Hello, “gear” when clicked is grey, my name read and write others read only…. Show package contents, used get info on all all the same my name - read & write others read only

20. 20 Posted by sth on 19 Oct, 2021 03:49 PM

@Peter, Did you click the "unlock" icon in the lower right. See message 13 for a detailed description, I did not repeat the process in detail again. There was a reason for each step.

The MD data file is a bundle of a lot of folders and each folder may have folders and lots of files. You would have to follow it down to each file to do it individually and that is a lot of files and probably not a good use of time. MD data file bundles may actually be over a 1000 files total. Checking each one is not the way to go.

Message 13 had a detailed, simple process just to make sure you had access to all those internal files. Please try all 4 steps.
    (Not IK Support)

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by Maddy on 26 Oct, 2021 10:48 AM

Hi Peter,
    Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your query.
    Do you have iCloud syncing turned on for your Documents folder?
    Please note: Apple seems very aggressive in enabling this feature which can remove files from your computer but make it appear as though they are still there in the Finder. This can really screw up Moneydance and your data.

Another possibility is that somehow the permissions on the file have gotten screwed up. This could be on the...personal.moneydance "folder", the key file, or any other files under that folder. Would it be possible to check the permissions on the key file and the folder by selecting them in the finder and pressing ⌘ I?

Finally, I'd strongly suggest storing the file in moneydance's internal sandbox folder. These days it's the only place on the mac where we can be confident that the file won't be damaged by other processes. I share your desire to want the file in a visible place such as your Documents folder, but unfortunately that's turned out to not be very safe. You can open the internal sandbox documents folder using the Help->Show Documents Folder in Moneydance. Then, close Moneydance before moving the file into it. You should then be able to create an alias in the Finder to the data file in the sandbox folder. In addition you can always set an outside-the-sandbox location for storing backup files. Many others use that feature to keep timestamped copies of your data file in Dropbox, iCloud or some other synced location.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

22. 22 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 26 Oct, 2021 09:17 PM

On Oct 26, 2021, at 6:48 AM, Maddy <[email blocked]> wrote:

Hello Maddy.
    Thank u, missed ya. Others have helped and I have, hopefully, followed all instructions from them, really appreciate it but to no avail. Still hung up. I do believe that iCloud is ok for documents. I will follow the rest of your instructions a little late, dealing with some health issues at this time, no big deal just annoying. I’ll get back to u as soon as I can. Fyi--- if I click on the file(data) in visible documents folder all is well opens ,,,no problem

23. 23 Posted by sth on 27 Oct, 2021 02:44 AM

@Peter,

Just to be very very clear iCloud is NOT ok for the Moneydance account documents. There are many many files internal to this bundle and they will not do well on ANY network account. That includes iCloud, Drop Box, One Cloud, NAS, etc. Networks do not sync the files correctly and will corrupt them.

You may use iCloud for many of your documents but NOT for Moneydance account books without a good chance of corruption which may be what you have here. You may not believe it, but this is the wisdom from the developer.

if your MD data file is in your Documents folder and you sync your Documents on iCloud there is a very high chance that the file itself is corrupted. If your file is corrupted, then you will have to go to a backup.

-Scott (NOT IK support)

24. 24 Posted by PETER QUARANTA on 27 Oct, 2021 01:54 PM

On Oct 26, 2021, at 10:44 PM, sth <[email blocked]> wrote:

//hello Maddy, sth

Once again thank all. Maddy you were correct, I moved the file to where md wants it to be, in there documents folder and after one start up I now can click on md icon and all is well. Now I need to get that file shared with my other computer. I kinda agree with sth re: Icloud but not sure because this is new to moneydance it may work. Then, of course there is another upgrade that I am concerned about. When I get enough nerve I will do it. Btw I have at least 4 , guess, copies of md in my applications folder can I delete them.

25. 25 Posted by sth on 27 Oct, 2021 02:03 PM

iCloud is fine as a selection for a syncing preference IF you have one of the most recent copies of MD. (Moneydance 2022.1 build 4057) or later fix a crash using MD Syncing through iCloud.

The other two options "Dropbox" and "Dropbox Folder" are different in that for Dropbox you need to be connected to the network when you make changes in your MD accounts. Dropbox folder will let you make changes when off line and then updated them later when you are connected.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2021-10-14_at_5.49.47_PM.png 174 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac